Recover data after quick factory restore

Hi

I did a quick factory restore on my EX4 only to restore the user and then I found out that all the data was gone.

can anybody help me restore the lost data. 

I assume that it would be possible because the quick restore only took 5min and I can not imagine that 2Tb of data can be gone in this short time. and moreover, when I checked the message box again, it says that with recovery program data can be recovered.

has anybody had the same experience? how did you solve it? which recovery software did you use and how.

please help me 

Amir

When you look at the usage pane on the dashboard does it show that there is indeed data on the device? I can tell you that when I had the standard mycloud I had a situation like that happen and it indeed wiped EVERYTHING. One of the reasons why I stocked up on external hard drive and keep seperate copys of stuff now. In addition, I also utilize the free 100GB of backup storage given by elephant drive for ex4 users.

No it showed that nothing is on the device. There must be a way to recover the files cause it only removed the file addresses and as long as nothing is overwritten on on them it must be recoverable.

Have you mounted the device to see first hand if there is anything on it. Or use the web app to view the drive. I dont want to be a barren of bad news but if there’s nothing on the device shown in the utilization pane then the software did it wrong and erased the drive. 

I used the dashboard to look inside the drive and my cloud app. Both are showing only the default public folders. How should I mount the drive?

If you are using a mac it would show up under share in finder and you would choose connect and then enter the admin user name and password. If you are using a windows computer it would be under the network folder. When you mount the drive you should see all your share folders. If they are not there then it has been wiped clean 

I use Windows. Under nerwork drive and wdmycloud there are only default public folders (it’s logical because the file addresses are removed and the drive cannot find them) in the warning message before approving the quick restore it says “data can be recovered by recovery program” so I think there is still hope…do u know any recovery software ?

can anybody help me recovering my data? :cry:

there must be way…

you can try putting each of the disk drives inside of a external USB enclosure and try to mount it as a linux partition and see if you can browse to the disk and see your folders and data.

if you do not have linux, you could get one of the live CD from many of the versions available to boot from it and try using the usb enclosure option.

Also, before you do anything else drastic, it might be wise to open a case with WD support to have them suggest if any approved methods exist that might be available to you.

Thank you for your reply.

it’s not quite clear to me what I should do.

shall I physically take out the hard drive from the My Cloud casing and connect it to a PC with a Linux OS?

I am a windows user and I have no clue about Linux. can you please explain how should I browse into my hard drive and find the folders? does Linux have a special tool to show the deleted files? I have an extra PC which I can install Linux on it but I don’t know how to recover the file in Linux.

I already asked WD for support but I still got no feedback.

You did not provide enough information for others to help you.  Did you have the EX4 setup for RAID or JBOD?  If RAID, what RAID was it setup for?  The answers to these questions will determine what recovery strategies will work for you.  These disks are mounted to the NAS as Linux volumes, but to recover data you need to know how they are stiched together.

That said, a “Factory Restore” is stated as having no data loss in the manual (and in my experience this has been true).  Given that you have suffered this, I’d be escalating with WD support as a priority.

Otherwise, given your expertise level, and what I take it is the importance of the data to you, I’d strongly recommend that you take the unit to a reputable local specilaist who can help you.

sinamir wrote:

Thank you for your reply.

it’s not quite clear to me what I should do.

shall I physically take out the hard drive from the My Cloud casing and connect it to a PC with a Linux OS?

I am a windows user and I have no clue about Linux. can you please explain how should I browse into my hard drive and find the folders? does Linux have a special tool to show the deleted files? I have an extra PC which I can install Linux on it but I don’t know how to recover the file in Linux.

I already asked WD for support but I still got no feedback.

Do you have access to a external USB enclosure and know how to use it to connect a spare disk to a computer?

You do NOT need to install linux OS on your computer. Many linux vendors provide a bootable CD image that you can burn on a CD-RW and boot your computer with it without affecting your Windows OS on your C:\ drive.

You either need linux OS or install drivers that can support read/write of ext4 linux partitions to be able to browse your disks that are currently installed inside Ex4.

If you are not able to complete this setup prerequisite, I would suggest looking into the advise above by skiwi since it appears that retreiving data back is very important to you.

You might consider this

http://ac-forensics.com/datarecovery.html?gclid=CIG_lb3PwL0CFbQWMgodRVUAGQ

The scenario you describe that happened to you is completely unacceptable.  You are correct in assuming that the data is still on your drives given your account that the unit did not appear to spend much time doing something before reporting that there was no data on the drives.  It would take some time to erase the data completely.  Having said that, you may be faced with a challenge to recover the data.  

You may not be too tech savvy, but you should not have to be after shelling out a pretty penny for this thing.  In the right hands, your data can probably be saved, but you should not have to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars to restore your data.

Hopefully you have a backup - you should.  Therefore, your solution should be to recover your data from the backup and shove the WD EX4 up WD’s … and get your money back.  If you do not have a backup, shame on you.  But shame on WD for delivering a unfinished product and putting your data at risk.

You may try some data recovery software, see this solution: recover computer data after factory reset

hope this helps.