SOLVED... 40 sec reset and data recovery Disaster - Self Made

For some reason I misunderstood the reset procedure and instead of doing 4 sec reset, I did 40 sec reset. Yeah I know F#$% it up.
Now when the whole factory reset has happened, my 6 TB HDD is showing exactly the same space as was earlier that is 3.5 TB free. The dashboard should there are video and audio files and “Shares” is showing some folders which might be sub folders in my original data…

Can I get my original data back someway since it is already showing?
If not, how do I totally erase the complete data?

Update - Using WD Access on my desktop, I can see all the folders and files and I am able to copy them. Which means I can still restore my data :slight_smile:
But I think it is inconsistent coz it was never meant to happen that way and data should have been technically lost… What should I do next?

Thanks
Parambir

A 4 second or 40 second reset using the reset button on the back of the My Cloud does not (typically) delete any user data. Instead it resets various My Cloud Dashboard values back to default. See the following WD Support Article that details which values are reset with each reset option.

How to Reset a My Cloud (single bay) Device

Note that performing a Quick Restore or Full Restore via the My Cloud Dashboard > Settings > Utilities page is not the same as performing a 4 second or 40 second reset via the reset button on the back of the My Cloud. Either of those two Restore options via the Dashboard erase user data.

A 40 second reset may remove User accounts but the user data will still be there and will be accessable using Windows File Explorer or Mac Finder.

1 Like

Thank you. And hence the reason I am able to see my data?
So how do I create uaers again and map them to original shares?
Also, what do i do with extra folders that are now visible in the drive under my shares?
Thanks

As far as I can remember, if you recreate the user it should use the existing Share (provided it is the same name as the user).

Not sure what “extra” folders are visible under your Share’s. You may see hidden folders (start with a period) when using SSH that are not seen normally when using Mac Finder or Windows File Explorer. Other certain other system folders are similarly hidden by the My Cloud firmware when using Mac Finder, Windows File Explorer or other file managers using the SMB protocol. However, those system folders will be visible to the user when using SSH.

Thank you. Will try putting same users. If i remove admin from user list then will the next user automatically become admin?

No idea. Never tried to remove the admin account on my first gen. I suppose the worst that happens is one has to perform a 40 second reset again to hopefully bring back the admin account.

Renaming admin should be possible?

Yes you can rename the admin account from “admin” to some other name.

1 Like

Thank you for the help. I just unshared the folders that randomly appeared. Created same users. Mapped them to the original shares. And drive back online with no data loss.
Thanks once again.
Parambir