MyCloud Full Reset - What affects does it have on existing data

Hello I apologize if this has been asked before, but I need to change the Admin on the device. According to the documentation I have to perform a reset where I need to press the master reset button for 40 seconds. I am fine with that but I am wondering what that will do to the existing data. The online documentation was not super clear.

Currently we have several folders in there with important data that we can’t afford to lose. Has anyone ever performed this action and what was the result.

Thanks

40 second reset (System Only Restore) does not affect user data. It deletes users, but not their data.

User manual, p 64:

As an administrator, you can restore the My Cloud device to its original, default settings, as well as wipe out all data securely. Three restore operations are available:

System Only: Changes all settings back to the factory default values, makes private shares public, and returns the administrator password to none. Your content remains untouched and intact. Note: You can also do a system restore physically. See “Resetting the My Cloud Device” on page 90.

Quick Restore: Reverts all settings to their factory default values, deletes data in shares and sets the shares back to factory defaults, resets the My Cloud system, and erases the drive. It takes several minutes.

Full Restore: Reverts all settings to their default values and permanently overwrites or erases all user data and shares. It could take several hours for the process to complete.

You do have this important data backed up, don’t you…?

All hard disks can fail at any time. You must have a backup.

thanks I just wanted to confirm, I did read the manual but the note on Not deleting the data was written under the section of the basic reset. was slightly confusing so thought I’d check since you cant exactly revert if otherwise. =)

But thanks for the confirmation

yep backed up on another server managed location, but still a pain in the arse if I lost data from this drive due to reset. My back up is redundant (RAIDed) all good. thanks

After checking this out myself. The device doesn’t safeguard you data. Nor does it erase the data performing a 40 second reset. So, if someone stole the box, they would have access to you data as well as be able to reuse the nas.