Read DL4100 drives on PC

I came to work to a DL4100 that seems to be stuck in some kind of cycle. Turns on and off by itself. power light blinks. drive lights are solid blue. There are some files that I need ASAP… My question is, since the NAS is not working (I have tried steps posted in this forum for similar problems with no success) Can I remove the drive(s) and plug them into my winodws pc with a usb disk reader and access the files? I plugged one in already and my pc asked me to initialize it… I did not do that. What can I do to get access to my fiels asap? I have no idea what RAID was in use but there are only 2 hard drives.

you need some type of raid recovery software most will show what files you can get for free but have to pay to drab n drop
Or there may be some way fro free with a linux box but I have no clue

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. I tried this (After reading your other posts). It did not work for me, as of yet. It is currently doing the same thing. I read some other posts that said to let it cycle for a while (days) and it may come back. I am crossing my fingers.

Did your 4100 ever recover?

1 Like

No it did not. :frowning: – I recovered the files using a dual hard drive dock and some software I found online that was able to read the linux raid.

1 Like

It sounds like there may be an issue with the NAS unit, and you’re looking to access your data quickly. If the NAS is not functioning properly, and you’re unable to troubleshoot or repair it, you can attempt to recover your data by connecting the hard drives to your Windows PC. However, there are some important considerations and steps you should follow:

1. Identify the RAID Configuration: Before proceeding, you need to determine the RAID configuration used in the NAS. Since you have two hard drives, it’s likely that it’s either RAID 1 (mirroring) or RAID 0 (striping). RAID 1 provides redundancy by mirroring data on both drives, while RAID 0 stripes data across both drives for improved performance.
  2. Connect Drives to Your PC: Connect one drive at a time to your Windows PC using a USB disk reader. Do not initialize the drive if prompted.
  3. Use Data Recovery Software: To access the data on the drive without initializing it, you can use data recovery software. There are several options available, such as Recuva, EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard, or TestDisk. These tools can scan the drive for existing data and recover it without altering the drive’s structure.
  4. Repeat for the Second Drive: After recovering data from the first drive, repeat the process with the second drive. If the RAID configuration is RAID 1, you should have a complete set of data on each drive. If it’s RAID 0, you may need specialized software that understands the striping to recover the data.
  5. Rebuild Data (if RAID 1): If you determine that your NAS was configured in RAID 1, you can manually copy the recovered data from both drives to a safe location on your PC. The data should be identical on both drives.
  6. Consider Professional Help: If you’re uncomfortable or unsuccessful in the recovery process, consider seeking professional data recovery services. They have specialized tools and expertise to handle complex situations.

Remember, handling RAID configurations requires caution to avoid data loss. If you’re unsure about the RAID setup or recovery process, consulting with a professional may be the safest option. Additionally, be aware that attempting data recovery may void any warranty on the NAS, so consider your options carefully.

AI garbage