Rapid flashing blue light

check the /etc/samba/smb.conf file. You could also try the 40 second reset now.

The bad news here: after setting up the system without deleting/formating the data partition, mycloud doesn’t recognize or mount the volume. Instead, it asks me to setup a RAID system. In a one disk bay :slight_smile:

It seems, it uses some volume id which does not match after a reset. I didn’t dig further, there may be a solution, but I just installed everything “as new” and now it runs again. Follow the instructions from @fox_exe!

Big thanks to @fox_exe for providing the hacker kernel to save our devices!

No thanks to Western Digital for bricking our device and not giving any solution.

Thanks everyone. Finally I spoke with WD support and they confirmed that the device is bricked. They will be sending me a new one. My concern now is retrieving my stored files from the cloud. Can anyone give advice/instructions in doing this using iMac? Thank you in advance.

1 Like

@wgrs My Linix/Unix is very rusty. can you write out the steps to retrieve the data and copy it over to a USB drive?

Thanks!

Having same problems. The top blue light flashing 2 days now. Did you solve this issue ? Also want to ask anyone in the know, of what’s the Router that is best for connecting to WD mirror gen 2. As it is dead slow.

Hi, i found a solution for the blue light flashing. i was waiting the the WD recommend 7 days but it didnt worked, nighter the 40 second reset, so i was testing some solution and one has worked. i did a video describe step by step how to solve it here:

Hope it will help you.

1 Like

Thanks @adimahluf, your video led me to a solution, but it took a path a bit different from yours, so I’ll describe it here.

Following the instructions in adimahluf’s video, I managed to connect via PuTTy (telnet) to the device, and entered the first command:
e2fsck /dev/sda3
This led to a series of prompt questions, whether to fix some corrupt files or settings. I answered yes to everything (by simply clicking enter each time). When it was done, I ran the same command again, to verify that everything was indeed fixed (it was). Then the reboot command:
reboot -f
After that there was no need to continue with adimahluf’s instruction, the device came back to life, with all previous settings intact!

In my case I had to then perform a 4 second reset, to change the static IP back to dynamic, since it had a static IP previously configured which was not in the range available in the current network. After that, I found the device IP from my router settings (the method in adimahluf’s video is also good) and managed to access the My Cloud configurations.
That’s it!

1 Like

adimahluf you are an absolute star. I have spent about 2 weeks trying to login to my device and then found your video. I only got as far as entering the command you missed (put on screen) and rebooted and, as if by magic, I can get on my device again. You are a genius and my new hero.

Thank you

1 Like

I’m so happy to know I helped someone. Thanks!

Adimahluf, I thank you for your efforts.
However i managed to get to the ‘Safe Mode’ function where I’m supposed to upload the new firmware. However after I apply, the circle just keeps on turning and I don’t get a progress in %.
Do you know how I can upgrade the firmware after all?
Thanks!

You can use the method described in this post and shown on the YouTube video above, or you can check out these guys on e-bay who will repair it for $30.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Digital-My-Cloud-NAS-Hard-Drive-Repair-or-Upgrade-service-2tb-to-8tb/123857418665?hash=item1cd67a39a9:g:ko0AAOSwq9RbzRWi

I was able to follow the instructions using the Telnet firmware rebuild, but many may not be comfortable doing this.

Thanks @adimahluf, @ shovalt ME SALVARON, repupere mi disco y mis datos tks…

Hey. Can you reupload the file of the video or send it to me? I can give you an upload link if you send me a PM here.
Unfortunately the Google Drive Link is dead.

Thanks in advance.
Jagrafess

Sorry, I never had it, just in the thread on the forum.

Keith

40 sec reset will delete all your data…

30 bucks? Fox has laid out the ground work right here. Hes a superstar in my book.

https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen1/

And for the Gen 2 mycloud, this link is still active with download instructions:

https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen2/

I just started having this problem. I have a new NAS unit on the way. Rather then messing around with fixing this one right now, can I just take my drives out and put them in the new one without any data loss? I have some pretty important family pics and movies on there and they are not worth losing right now.

Thank you

Drives would imply more than one drive. Which specific My Cloud model/unit do you have? The single bay/single drive My Cloud units, the general subject of this subforum, have (obviously :laughing:) one drive.

Not sure about the multi bay models but on the single bay My Cloud model one has to use the same generation new enclosure as the old enclosure if one wants to swap the drive into the new enclosure and have it work. This is because the 2nd generation single bay My Cloud enclosure uses different hardware and firmware than the older 1st generation My Cloud. If one has a first gen and receives a second gen as a replacement then one would have to either transfer the data from the old drive to the newer drive (using a USB to SATA adapter or spare PC SATA adapter) or unbrick the old hard drive to load the v2.x firmware to it.