Question to WD Mods regarding Firmware Version 2.08.13

I’m guessing (hoping) that it was unintended. Perhaps webpages and links have been updated by the same “crew” and the same attention to detail that produce the firmware. :wink:

If WD is going to keep shooting themselves in the foot, they should probably go with something smaller than a shotgun… Or aim for the head and eliminate all issues once and for all. :smileyvery-happy:

“Not Richard”

dfrench wrote:

… they should probably go with something smaller than a shotgun… Or aim for the head and eliminate all issues once and for all. :smileyvery-happy:

ROFL!  :smileyvery-happy:

HomerJ wrote:

Sorry to beat a dead horse here but the fact that WD refuses, or atleast ignores any attempt to fix proper displaying of images, mainly png’s would lead one to believe that they are trying to step away from allowing users the ability to theme.  Perhaps the users have ‘themed’ further than WD had expected or wanted them to go.  Most themes now have completely removed WD signature look…perhaps this is no longer  palatable  to WD.

Also the WD theme link has been removed…  http://www.wdtvlive.com/themes     

.strange?

I’m looking into this now.

dfrench wrote:

I’m guessing (hoping) that it was unintended. Perhaps webpages and links have been updated by the same “crew” and the same attention to detail that produce the firmware. :wink:

If WD is going to keep shooting themselves in the foot, they should probably go with something smaller than a shotgun… Or aim for the head and eliminate all issues once and for all. :smileyvery-happy:

“Not Richard”

This is funny… and hopefully not the case.

Thank you, Bill.

The mods here do a fine, if limited scope, job within the forum by keeping the expressions of frustration within acceptable bounds. It’s understood that they can’t do much about the actual frustration nor its root cause even though they might want to. :smiley:

“Not Richard”

thank you Bill,

any info you can get would be appreciated right now coz I am sitting on the fence where to go with my theme at the moment and I know the others do too. Would really help to know if this particular system with autogenerated thumbnails will be the standard or if it will be reverted back to the old system.

Thanks, guys.  I am pushing on a response for this.

[edit]

From what I understand, pulling down wdtvlive.com had nothing to do with stopping the ability to create Themes.  It was just a business decision.   

2 Likes

Thank you Bill,

is there any word to my initial questions?

Are the Techs aware that thumbnails are cropped wrong? and is the cropping/caching the final solution which disables trickle themes?

Would you forward this image to them please and ask for a statement, I would really appreaciate that.

THUMBNAILS

So the ability to get themes via the Hub, which no longer works, is also a business decision ?

DeVicious wrote:

Thank you Bill,

is there any word to my initial questions?

Are the Techs aware that thumbnails are cropped wrong? and is the cropping/caching the final solution which disables trickle themes?

Would you forward this image to them please and ask for a statement, I would really appreaciate that.

THUMBNAILS

I’m pretty sure that they know about this, but I escalated it just in case.

HomerJ wrote:

So the ability to get themes via the Hub, which no longer works, is also a business decision ?

I’m sorry, but we’d have notified you if we were taking away the ability to do themes.  So, no, it’s not a business decision. 

Bill_S wrote> * * *

I’m pretty sure that they know about this, but I escalated it just in case.

Brilliant! Thank you very much.

For anyone interested, the Themes website as well as the online database is back up.

For now anyway.

thanks TW…longtime no response from WD

That’s because it took us a while to get it back up.

DeVicious wrote:

thank you Bill,

any info you can get would be appreciated right now coz I am sitting on the fence where to go with my theme at the moment and I know the others do too. Would really help to know if this particular system with autogenerated thumbnails will be the standard or if it will be reverted back to the old system.

I’ve been told that this should be fixed in the next firmware release. 

Bill_S wrote:

DeVicious wrote:

thank you Bill,

I’ve been told that this should be fixed in the next firmware release. 

That is good news, what is the ballpark about a possible formware upgrade / fix?

sorry, guys, I don’t.  but based on our patterns, probably over the next month or two.

Bill_S wrote:

sorry, guys, I don’t.  but based on our patterns, probably over the next month or two.

• *> I didn’t really expect an answer but a month or two with this kind of software on the device? Lol that is suicidal with the Xmas Business coming up. Seems they are drinking Tiger Blood on the WD upper floors :smileyvery-happy:

Hey, I’m just hedging my bets, here.  But it really depends on what they’re working on and how testing goes.