Public Share ==> Public Access ==> ON?

So prior to upgrading, I use the bug to edit the Public Name to something else and when the error popped up that I could not rename the Public Share, I then toggled the Public Access to OFF.

So I upgraded… not thinking about the ramifications since I read it from Bennor that this bug is no longer accesssible.

Now my Public Share is still private and I would like to toggle the Public Access back to ON.

Why?

No idea why really. I was trying to create a USB mount point and it failed in creating a Share Name under the Shares folder, so I thought this might be related. Find a solution to this, maybe find a solution to the other.

This patch, perhaps?

http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Cloud/Folders-Within-Public-Share-Read-Only-after-Firmware-Update/td-p/902536/page/16

1 Like

already check that post and couldn’t retrieve the file no matter how I cut and paste and even typed in the URL by fingers.

But you deserved another kudos anyways… since you looked

Thanks

Something wrong with those embedded links. I used ‘copy link text’

http://download.wdc.com/nas/fix_permissions_v2.deb

I can’t vouch for the patch working, but I have downloaded it. PM me if necessary: it’s only 0.88kB…

1 Like

got it Cpt_paranoia…

Thanx

I’ll see if that fixes my on off switch for my public folder later…

It does not fix the switch. I cannot set Public to Public Access ON. Not that I really need it… and applying the above fix does not fix the USB mount thing.

Not sure if this works for you but I found a bug back when the device first launched (You’re the first person I’ve told). I was bored and clicking randomly, spur of the moment type thing. I actually really hope it doesn’t get patched by telling you since its been GOLD for me, but here goes.

1. Log in to its WEBUI by typing its address into a web browser

2. Click on shares

3. Click public

4. Now very quickly switch between any other share and immediately back to Public Share page.

Example: Look at my pic below I’ll click very very fast between the Agustin Folder and Public Folder. it can be any folder though and the trick is to click super fast so that the page doesn’t finish loading before you sent it back the public folder setting page.

Repeat step 4 very fast until the “Public Access” slider switch unlocks. I own both windows and mac machines and have noticed it works betting on windows. Macs load the page faster and the bug occurs a lot less frequently but I does work on both platforms. I tested it on IE, Chrome, and Safari. Replicating it with my instructions should be easy but let me know if you can’t.

1. In Your case set the switch it back to the ON position and you should be set

2. Tell no one, I’m hoping WD doesn’t find out about this.

(pic below, it might have to be approved by a MOD first be patient)

1 Like

I think I may have been caught out by that bug, although I wasn’t switching shares quickly. I changed shares, and it highlighted one, but showed details for another. Foolishly, I changed the details (the share name) to what it should have been. This made it rename the wrong share to the name of the share it had highlighted, with no warning, which entirely overwrote the original share of that name. All content gone.

http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Cloud/Renaming-Shares-a-word-of-caution/m-p/907143

Yeah I’ve never renamed the Public folder for that very reason. But I’ve also never had issues with it by simply turning it public access off. 

I’m curious have you tried SSH ing into the device rather than using samba and checking if your files are in there?

1 Like

much thanks TheAgustin for the workaround. I couldn’t get it to work on my mac with its super fast Safari 9 engine :stuck_out_tongue: but I’ll try it on my PC IE explorer later. Hopefully this bug is still in the new OS 3 version.

I’m curious have you tried SSH ing into the device rather than using samba and checking if your files are in there?

Yes, I went in with SSH: all gone.

I may have found another workaround but I’m not sure if it works on OS 3. I just tested it and it works my firmware. It can have a negative effect though so read this carefully. After I performed these tasks my device was stuck saying it was initializing and the light was a pinksih color after about 2 minutes it fixed it self. On the dashboard it shows the Public folder as being private but on the network its allowing all users to connect to it (wasn’t doing that before as I set it to Private)

You’ll need ssh access

1. ssh into the MyCloud

2. execute “cd /usr/local/sbin”

3. execute “setSharePublic.sh Public”

4. execute “reboot”

5. reboot and hopefully enjoy

Follow these steps at your own risk

Personally I’d wait until WD releases firmware updates fixing the issues but if you absolutely need access to the folder I think this is an acceptable workaround. 

Thanks to your earlier advice I was poking around investigating my earlier static issue and I found the /usr/local/sbin which is full of WD scripts

Theagustin wrote:

Thanks to your earlier advice I was poking around investigating my earlier static issue and I found the /usr/local/sbin which is full of WD scripts

yes it is a treasurebox of goodies… It is where I was digging around for the usb auto mount and was trying to figure out why they dismount it after they mounted it.

in OS3 though in the initialization bootup, they make the public folder public regardless of whatever it was set to previously. It was a generic fix for everyone… 

Thanks for finding that though… I’ll check into it… I just want my Cloud to look normal :stuck_out_tongue:

Ralphael wrote:> yes it is a treasurebox of goodies… It is where I was digging around for the usb auto mount and was trying to figure out why they dismount it after they mounted it.

in OS3 though in the initialization bootup, they make the public folder public regardless of whatever it was set to          previously. It was a generic fix for everyone… 

Thanks for finding that though… I’ll check into it… I just want my Cloud to look normal :stuck_out_tongue:

oh my word, that makes me not want to update to OS 3 at all. It still baffles me how WD is instantant on forcing its users to have a Public Share on its NAS’s. I’m big on security and I don’t care if my network is private just the thought of an open share on a device scares the heck out of me. It’s a hugh attack vector even back in the MyBookLive days you needed to ssh and edit the samba settings to kill the public share. That didn’t work with the MyCloud but luckly I found the WEBUI bug.

Theagustin wrote:

Ralphael wrote:> yes it is a treasurebox of goodies… It is where I was digging around for the usb auto mount and was trying to figure out why they dismount it after they mounted it.

in OS3 though in the initialization bootup, they make the public folder public regardless of whatever it was set to          previously. It was a generic fix for everyone… 

oh my word, that makes me not want to update to OS 3 at all. It still baffles me how WD is instantant on forcing its users to have a Public Share on its NAS’s. I’m big on security and I don’t care if my network is private just the thought of an open share on a device scares the heck out of me. It’s a hugh attack vector even back in the MyBookLive days you needed to ssh and edit the samba settings to kill the public share. That didn’t work with the MyCloud but luckly I found the WEBUI bug.

well I’m sure you would be able to edit the public out of your cloud once you have upgraded.

Where there are scripts, there are software programmers. Alternatively we can add a bootup script that simply set the public back to private or even remove the Public folder from shares totally. I have always wanted to do that but wasn’t sure what the consequences were if there were no Public share folder.