Pre-purchase question - Can I access "My Cloud Home" when my internet connection fails?

Pre-purchase question - Can I access “My Cloud Home” if when my internet connection fails?

I’m seeking to understand if I will be able to access my files on the “My Cloud Home” devices on my local WiFi network when/if my internet goes offline.

I understand that I may need internet connectivity during the initial setup.
I understand that with no internet connectivity that remotely accessing my files would not be possible.

Scenario I’m seeking to understand if will work:

1. Purchase 4TB “My Cloud Home”
  2. Connect to my home router
  3. Yes, I have internet connectivity at this time
  4. setup “My Cloud Home”
  5. Copy/Backup my movie library to “My Cloud Home”
  6. Internet connection goes offline
  7. Can I stream my video files to my Mac from “My Cloud Home” with no Internet at this time?

no, to access data in the private user space the my cloud home requires an internet connection to authenticate your account.

There is a default public SMB share intended for windows backup that can be accessed on the LAN without internet connection. Data stored in this share cannot be seen by the web or mobile apps and if WD discovery is installed the data in the public share will not show in the private user space mounted drive.

Thank you for the quick, clear and concise response.

I’ll keep looking and maybe there’s another product that will suit my needs better.

Does your internet go out often enough to affect a purchase decision to by a NAS? If so. you ought to fix the internet problem I presume you have, OR buy a large enough HD with enough capacity to house your media collection.