How do I upload to my cloud home without using internet?

I have a my cloud home. I can access it by my network and upload files. The problem is any file I upload this way I can’t view on the my cloud home app on my phone. I have to upload to home.mycloud.com to be able to view my files. The problem is that method uses my internet bandwidth. It seems as if my cloud home and home.mycloud.com are two different entities that don’t communicate to each other. How can I upload a video to my cloud home without using the internet and still be able to view it on my phone when I am away from home?

1 Like

the short answer: without internet this device not working

and you need to read this topics

2 Likes

internet connection is required for account authentication. You can install WD Discovery and it will mount the private user space as a drive on the computer. You can then drag and drop files to the my cloud home and if you are on the same network the transfer will be via your LAN.

1 Like

I did waste $300 on the Mycloud Home duoand is a scam. Do not buy it!!!

1 Like

I setup my My Cloud Home with the internet per instructions. Then followed instructions to set up Plex on the My-Cloud.

When that was done, using my Plex App on my ROKU, i lynched the two together using the internet. Keep in mind i was using my hot spot on my phone for all of this so i was trying to be conservative with my DATA.

When i got the two Lynched up, i put my videos and etc in the appropriate shared Plex folders and BOOM i was set. I disconnected my WiFi and i was still streaming to my ROKU via WiFi router/ no internet. Apparently Plex can run in offline mode which in turn pulls the files from My Cloud Home.

ROKU in turn, does run offline also. It’s a different story with my TV’s and so forth. It did work but for some reason, it was slow. I did not try it on my Tabs and phone yet but i will when i get home from work today.

So basically, IMO, after the initial setup you can disconnect from internet. I think it just needs WIFI. If you want to add to the drive you can connect it to your computer’s Ethernet port for that. I have not done any more testing yet, but i will, Peace

As a warning to others thinking of buying this device and finding this old thread through Google. You cannot use the My Cloud without internet access. It requires internet as it authenticates you through the WD servers. If you disconnect from the internet while using it, it will continue to work for up to an hour before your session expires and you lose access to your files. I have been unable to find any work around to make this work as a proper NAS.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads-up. I was looking to buy this, but now I will lock in other solutions.

Thanks. There are a lot of good information here on some of these old threads that are 2 to 3 years old. I didn’t know how long the authentication will last for the private user space once internet is lost, but that number seems to be one hour based on a few data points.

Notice that the WD My Cloud Home (MCH) is not very different from all the internet connected devices from Amazon, Google, Roku and others in that a lot of functionality is lost once the internet is cut - for example on the FireTV, you can’t run most apps and get to your contents but sometimes you could get some local content to show if you know how the system works. In the case of MCH, you still have access to the ‘Public User Space’ and you could reach it by using Samba in Windows or the Mac by going directly to this address in Windows (file) Explorer for example,

\\MYCLOUD-0NNNNN\Public

where NNNNN is specific to your device which you should copy down ahead of time. In addition, in very rare occasion, the internet could be up but the WD servers could be down and you could check that by going to My Cloud Home OS4 server status:

http://status.mycloud.com/os4