Petition to change the firmware to the classic WD My Cloud

I agree, and they need to remove the need of internet for using the device. Without internet the device is not usable.

6 Likes

was so happy with the first WD MyCloud model that I bought this model WD MyCloud Home.
She’s disappointed when I plugged her in.
Obligation to install the software WD Discovery, no NFS, no control, minimalist interface.

The first thing I wanted to do after plugging in was unplugging it and bringing it to the store.

when the disk of my WD Mycloud loses, I take the disk of WD My Cloud home to put it inside.
2 GB against 6 GB it is worth dismounting.

The worst purchase of my life, I’m ashamed!

Sorry for my english: google translation.

9 Likes

Hi everybody

1- To summarize what I see is that the android platform is the future, but compared to OS3 is in a very early stage.
2- We all bought this product thinking it was a NAS, because WD said it is a NAS and obviously it is not. I consider it misleading advertising.
3- A question for WD staff. Do you have in your development plan add NAS functions? Is it possible with the hardware and system that that the product has right now?

As you can see the current state of the product is a bit frustrating. Maybe you could you give us some explanations about if this will be a NAS or we need other product.

Cheers

4 Likes

If a nice hacker hangs on the forum.

Please, can you take out a firmware with a linux distribution.

Example:
An apache server, bind, nfs, samba, ssh, sftp, ftp, Twonky, Rights, etc …

An alternative solution, would be welcome.

And especially a distribution that must not be connected to the internet 24h / 24h.
If the wdmycloud site is hacked we do not expose our data.

5 Likes

I agree. I’m SOOO dissappointed that this doesn’t include a public share folder. And they never talked properly about the different functions. I’m thinking about returning this.

3 Likes

Hello

Could some of the @WD_MCH answer our questions about the short-term future of this product?

Thanks

3 Likes

if i can get a torrent app to run on it then YES PLEASE!

4 Likes

I did this in another topic but probably this is the best place to do it.

A lot of users reported (most of the comments related to MCH ?? ) some issues and non-available funtionalities that would make My Cloud Home much more interesting.

My question is: Is WD taking in consideration all of this requests/suggestions ? Can we expect to have some of the basic features we requested to be available in the future ?

Tks

2 Likes

You would think that if they were they might post some sort of acknowledgment but regrettably WD remain silent

5 Likes

I agree !!! Too limited

2 Likes

I agree! I need a NAS, but WD MY Cloud Home is not a NAS

4 Likes

I get the point of the My Cloud Home for the average home user. However, I am fairly tech-savvy and I did buy this thinking the interface and functionality was like OS3 which I helped several family members setup. I’m disappointed there isn’t an Easy / Advanced interface that allows for more functionality and definitely would request that.

3 Likes

More than Agree!
I think changing the firmware to old traditional Wd mycloud is not an option, it’s a recommandation!

4 Likes

@WD_MCH did you read this topic? because WD team are ignoring us as I see

4 Likes

There are currently no plans to change the core functionality of the My Cloud Home product. This product is designed for family use in a home environment and is not intended to be used as a professional level device. If you are looking for additional functionality I would suggest looking at the EX or PR series NAS products.

I’ll never looking at the any WD product
thanks for your answer

6 Likes

WD are very aware of the confusion and they don’t want to acknowledge it. The way it is advertised shares A LOT of aspects and features that are in common with a regular NAS, but also with the legacy MyCloud line of products. I bought a MCH thanks to a good deal online, but also because after I bought a MyCloud for my family, I thought I was buying an upgraded, more powerful version, as I am more of a power user. I was very hyped for it that I thought I would find the same apps as the MC lineup, I thought it would allow me to fiddle around and expand my knowledge about SSH, hosting a local host linux like server (with phpMyAmdin app for exemple which is not available sadly), automation, basic networking knowledge, actually increase the size of my drive for future backups, unify in one unit backup solutions for both my Hackingtosh, Macbook pro, Linux and Windows machines, and to centralize my bunch of USB drives that I use for backups all in one place. I simply don’t understand the need to strip most of the very useful functions from this drive or whatever they call it, since the MyCloud product both have the regular NAS features but also the “Personal Cloud” side of things.

The major thing I am disappointed in however is the performance. I just cannot backup any of my data in a reasonable amount of time (I have ~4 TB to transfer, I thought I could do it in 3-4 days but it already took me 3 hours just to transfer a snapshot of an image of about 3GB, this is just unacceptable). I don’t have extremely fast internet but it is good enough (120/20) but this shouldn’t even be a concern since every ethernet cable is connected via a gigabit interface/device.

It is just sad at this point because this device pack a fairly powerful hardware. Not sure if I should return it or start seeking solution to hack it and install another linux based OS on it.

So I am very much for this petition to offer this device but with the very rich and sufficient OS3.

5 Likes

Then at this point, the cost would be way over for what you pay for a DAS/NAS just for home use. A lot of users here want more advanced features and more advanced functionality, more control of your data, without necessarily having a professional/business environment.
Can you explain to my why your social media/community pages advertises this product for professional photographers/designers as a reliable backup solution?
Why is it that in most common stores, the MCH replaced most of the MyCloud devices if they are different devices? Why does most sales rep (as much online than in store), review/portray this as a NAS or another iteration/better version of MyCloud? Why not use a proper name for the legacy lineup of devices, in order to reduce the confusion?

Of course I cannot speak on everyone behalf but am pretty sure that this device will not properly fit every use case of content creators, especially when they have to deal with large files, considering the poor performance and flexibility of this device.

I understand that you may want to start a different vision about people manage their data, but there is also some fundamental aspects, from within the culture, previous experiences that people will keep in mind and so make assumptions, thus creating expectations when they purchase an electronic device.

The only thing that I see about MCH is that by offering the client to have the drives at home, you outsource a huge part of the work and maintenance by not dealing with as much as large capacity drives you would need otherwise (technicians, data centers, etc…), and it allows you to cut out huge maintenance cost, so that you can indeed offer larger capacity at a slightly lower cost, invest more money on the software, hold a bunch of user data at little expanse, and make more profit.

But lesson is learned, next time I will simply buy a Synology drive, or start to customize the firmware myself.

4 Likes

That’s a cop out You are missing the point that WD are selling this as an updated My Cloud but it’s patently NOT. No DLNA, PLex that keeps dropping out, utilities in the way People are not asking for advanced features just an update to what was a reasonable product in the first place. No more WD products for me

5 Likes

I honestly believe I was lied to when sold the product. I needed a new NAS urgently because my venerable nSLUG was dying. The salesman told me I could do all the same things from the (as I now discover non existent) dashboard). Plex is a POS, why can’t i install a different software? Where is transmission? Where is SSH? Where is the internal web server? Where is the CHOICE?

All-in-all, not fit for purpose, a very bad purchase decision, one I regret deeply, and if anyone from WD is listening or cares, one I shall never make again.

5 Likes