PR4100 Shuts down overnight with No Energy Saver settings enabled

Just received a new PR4100 after my original got bricked 2 weeks ago while doing a Firmware Update, The original is now a paperweight because it was “out of warranty” according to WD support. Restored all of the data to the new unit. And now everynight at midnight it shuts down. I have to hit the power button twice for the unit to go through the boot process, and it stays up until overnight. Any thoughts?

Do you still have both PR4100s? I encountered a similar shutdown problem a few years ago. As I recall, it had something to do with a firmware bug and it just needed an update.

I do. I have the new one up, and the old one is not up. The old one won’t boot after the firmware update. I will attempt to go back to a previous update for the new one to see if that will solve the problem

The original PR4100 might be salvageable with a bit of work. Are you familiar with using SSH and Linux? If you want to try fixing it, shoot me a PM and I’ll see what I can do to help.

I’m a little familiar with both. But, for now I’m more concerned about the new one, and eliminating the auto shutdown….although it DIDN’T do it overnight last night.

~WRD000.jpg

Neither SSH nor Linux are required in this instance. I always ask to see if someone is a digtal Luddite. Regardless, fixing a bricked PR4100 usually takes about 5 minutes. Been there, done that.

Interesting. What firmware version is the new PR4100 running? Try turning the Power Schedule button off then on again via the dashboard. Sometimes the internal setting doesn’t “stick”.

1. Click the Power Schedule button to turn it on.
  2. Click the Configure link.
  3. Click the Save button.
  4. Click the Power Schedule button to turn it off.
  5. Wait a week to see it it works.

I am now at 5.25.124 for firmware. Out of the box it was way out of date. It wouldn’t update to 5.25.124, without updating to previous firmware updates, and finally to 5.25.124 yesterday. It didn’t shut down last night, as I said, so maybe the firmware update did it.

Since I purchased a new PR4100, I gave up on the previous unit. Can you outline what you think it would take to ‘unbrick’ the old one?

As I said, shoot me a PM and we can take it from there. I won’t post certain things on the open forums because an inexperienced user could get themselves into trouble without proper guidance along the way.

Nevermind. I’ve got work to do and can’t wait around all day. Good luck.

Hello, The same happened to me few years ago on PR4100.
I always had the PR4100 on sleep mode , and each time I stayed up late, the unit will TURN ON by itself at exatly 3:00 in the morning for a quarter of an hour, and re-sleep . (central european time)
One day I found PR4100 totally shut down.
Took a couple of hours to un-brick it, and I turned off the NTP (Network Time Protocol) service in settings-general-language and clock.
It is still working since!
Maybe it is the same service that bricked yours by trying to wake up the server, and fails