Possible to connect My Cloud directly to PC (without router)?

Hi.

Is it possible to connect My Cloud directly to a PC without a router? I know the USB slot cannot be used for this, but what about using the ethernet cable?

I think the easiest way would be to make my PC a virtual router. Is this possible?

I do not think so… but someone can amplify

Yes, just connect the Ethernet wire from the My Cloud to the computer’s networking port.

You would have to find and use software that would turn your computer into a software based router. Perform an internet search to find such software.

1 Like

I haven’t actually tried this yet, because my My Cloud is out of reach at the moment.

What happens if I do this? How does the computer identify the drive? Doesn’t My Cloud depend on a router to work?

I presume your answer means more than just the physical connection.

No. Just shutdown/power off the My Cloud. Disconnect the My Cloud from the router. Connect the My Cloud to your computer’s networking port. Power on the My Cloud. After a short period of time the front LED will blink white (or similar color) indicating no network connection. Open up your computer’s file manager (Windows Explorer/Mac Finder) and see if the computer will find and access the My Cloud. You may have to enable file/printer sharing for the network port if its not enabled.

What should happen is both the My Cloud and computer networking port should default to using IP addresses in the 169.254.x.x range if it cannot find a DHCP server to obtain an IP address.