Port forwarding

Thanks for this!!!

For some reason I cannot open port 80 and when I open 8443/443 and then scan it says it’s my calendar server…?

Yes 8443 is a typical port for a CalDav server, but unless you know you have one setup (possible at work, unlikely at home) you are OK.

Thanks, how do I get port 80 to open?

I just found out that my ISP blocks port 80…

Your external port would be 8080 and your router would forward it to your NAS IP address on the port 80.

Ok, so how do I input that in the router like the photo, 8080 8080 80 80?

Check where your router says port forwarding and check here if your model matches http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8526/p/247,487/session/L3RpbWUvMTM5NzExNzA1MS9zaWQveGdRdmhxUmw%3D

Each router is different.

RoldGold wrote:

I just found out that my ISP blocks port 80…

Yeah, some ISPs block 80 and 25.

jamalaya wrote:

Check where your router says port forwarding and check here if your model matches http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8526/p/247,487/session/L3RpbWUvMTM5NzExNzA1MS9zaWQveGdRdmhxUmw%3D

Each router is different.

My router is a Netgear CG3000D-RG, it isn’t listed in your above link. Can I open a different port or is port 80 necessary?

It will work without it, in relay mode.

Here is a screen shot of my UPnP Table in my router when the My Cloud is connected via my home network. Are these the port numbers I need to forward in my router?

You can choose “any” external port to forward it to your internal NAS IP port 80. Some applications “reserve” certain port numbers like 80 (http), 443 (https), 21 (FTP), various popular games, etc.

Typically people choose 8080 as the external port. In the router, you’d set up the router to forward port 8080 to your NAS IP port 80

1 Like

I have done everything possible, followed ever tutorial from evryone that has given one and I’m grateful, thank you! 

However, I still cannot stream a movie or a music file from 4G cell network with VLC or Vidon with my iPhone. Everytime I connect to my external IP and select the file it says " Playback Failed"

If I open the My Cloud app on my iPhone 4G cell network I can select a music file and it will play however the movie files will not because the my cloud app cannot play them, I get the confused man screen.

These are MKV, MP3, and M4A files.

Any thoughts to get the movie files to play over cell network with VLC or Vidon?

Thanks!

RoldGold wrote:

Here is a screen shot of my UPnP Table in my router when the My Cloud is connected via my home network. Are these the port numbers I need to forward in my router?

NOOoooo.   If they’re in the router’s UPnP table, they’re ALREADY forwarded.

By the way, you’re not going to be able to stream via VLC via those ports.  VLC requires FTP access.  FTP access will require MANUAL port forwarding on your router.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

RoldGold wrote:

NOOoooo.   If they’re in the router’s UPnP table, they’re ALREADY forwarded.

By the way, you’re not going to be able to stream via VLC via those ports.  VLC requires FTP access.  FTP access will require MANUAL port forwarding on your router.

Thanks Tony!

I have FTP access setup on my router, however I’m only able to stream on my home network, when I’m on my iPhone using the cellular service to stream it doesn’t stream. I don’t want to download the file and play it I want to direct stream from the My Cloud.

jamalaya wrote:

Maybe pcitures explain more:

pic 1 - enable remote access

Now click on configure and it will look like this

now in dashboard click on settings network

settiongsnetwork.png

Now click on details it shows

IP Address is your mycloud ip address

netmask, usually 255.255.255.0

gateway is your router internal IP address

DNS 1 and DNS2 and DNS3 (if any) is taken from your router. These are the domainname servers (external IP addresses from your ISP, you find in your router).

Example router DNS (router gets them from Isp)

Now forward the ports on your router (you may or may not need 8080 but i entered them anyway and forgotten about it)

As you see I have opened ftp (20,21), 8080 and 8443. The internal ip address is your mycloud ip address.

This is it. Test that your ports are open here http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

If you have done all this and still does not work (make sure you have internet connection, 3g etc) then if your router has a firewall disable it. Make sure you enable firewall on your PC.

when using ftp (non lcoal network, from uotside)

Your ftp server will be your external IP address (your router external ip address it got from your ISP), the ftp client needs

ftp server

port 21

username

password

enjoy.

Do I enter the WAN or LAN netmask in the above settings?

What I mean is, those ports are only listed in the table above when I’m connected via my home network. Should I use those ports when setting up port forwarding to connect outside my network? Reason I ask is because I cannot get port 80 to open outside of my home network.

Guys I have the same problem but I not to much of a tech saavy.

The question is, should I have the 8080 port open in the router and the 80 on the WD “My dashboard”?  Same with 443?

Or is the other way arround?

Please help.

You have to forward the external router port 8080 to the internal NAS port 80, and the external router port 8443 to the internal NAS Port 443. This is set up in the router UI and also declared in the NAS UI (manual configuraiton, so that the NAS knows which external ports are directed to itself).