Pissed off - no support!

Right now I am BEYOND PISSED OFF!!

I purchased the My Cloud and no one told me I also needed to buy a router to even use this product to its full functionality.

Then when I desperately needed to set it up and back up my dying laptop, I tried to call for suport - WHATS THE POINT OF 24/7 IF THERE"S NO 24/7??? I have raised 2 cases, have recieved NO confirmations at all and have waited 3 days and still heard NOTHING!!! Just tried to call, selected the correct option in the useless phone menu, to get some guy saying he’s only level 1 and about to go home and that I need to call back for Australia support at 8am in the morning and speak to someone in level 2 support … for a set up issue … REALLY !!! 

THIS IS BULL**bleep**.

WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF MY LAPTOP DIES TONIGHT AND I HAVE BEEN SOLD A PRODUCT THAT I CANNOT USE AND NO ONE WILL HELP ME???

I know what will happen … I will take this a lot further that’s what will happen!!! 

I DO NOT WANT THIS **bleep** PRODUCT and cannot get an RMA for a refund.

THIS IS THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE (lack thereof) EXPERIENCE I HAVE EVER ENCOUNTERED.

DISGRACEFUL !!!

I purchased the My Cloud and no one told me I also needed to buy a router to even use this product to its full functionality

That’s a shame. What functionality were you hoping to use?

It is possible to set up the MyCloud without an internet connection (I did it before I was connected). You don’t need to use the automated setup; all setup can be done via the Dashboard, and should take no more than ten minutes (when you know what you’re doing; expect to take quite a bit longer the first time…)

So, the only remaining difficulty is whether you can access the device without a router. And p110 of the user manual says you should be able to, by connecting directly from computer to mycloud with an Ethernet cable.

As CPT said above is correct a router is not required.

However if you don’t plan on having a router and Internet connection the Mycloud has no advantage over a much simplier USB attached disk so if you can return or exchange it that may be a better option

NOTHAPPYJAN wrote:

I purchased the My Cloud and no one told me I also needed to buy a router to even use this product to its full functionality. 

Out of curiosity did you not read the product description or system requirements for the WD My Cloud either on the product box prior to purchase or online prior to purchase? The drive is a network attached storage device, not a run of the mill external USB hard drive.

The WD My Cloud CAN be directly connected to a computer and used as a simple external hard drive. However, to get the most benefit out of the device’s remote access features the WD My Cloud should be connected to a router or gateway.

Generally if you have broadband (internet access) your broadband provider will provide a gateway or router that typically has four networking ports on the back of the router/gateway. The WD My Cloud gets connected via ethernet wire to one of those four ports. If not then one can typically purchase a low cost consumer router or find a used one locally.

one can typically purchase a low cost consumer router or find a used one locally.

That’s what I did; I bought an ADSL WiFi router from a charity shop for £5. Because of ISP competition, there are lots of spare routers around, because each IP usually gives you a new router when you sign up or transfer, and contracts are often 18 months. At least, that’s the case in the UK.

I purchased a set of tires and no one told me I also needed to buy a car to even use this product to its full functionality.

Sorry could not help it!

:smileyvery-happy:

^^^ I can’t help it but to LOL!!! Sorry q-:

cpt_paranoia wrote:

one can typically purchase a low cost consumer router or find a used one locally.

That’s what I did; I bought an ADSL WiFi router from a charity shop for £5. Because of ISP competition, there are lots of spare routers around, because each IP usually gives you a new router when you sign up or transfer, and contracts are often 18 months. At least, that’s the case in the UK.

Yes there are lots of spare routers laying around unused. If one doesn’t want to spend a lot of money, or don’t want to spend any money at all, they should ask around to their friends and family. Often others have old routers sitting unused in a closet or basement. Those old routers may not have gigabit networking ports or the latest wifi standard but it will be enough to get a person up and running fairly quickly.