MyCloud device setup when router is changed

I would start my post with acknowledging that WD executives on support are PATHETIC!! They tried to debug the problem for more than 15 hours(daily 3-4 hrs) after giving the statement “checking with resources” every 2 minutes and by chance one of the executive was able to enable access by connecting my cloud directly to my system and then was debugging further when the connection broke. Its been 10 days after this, am trying to contact the same person but in vain and instead 2 more executives tried to do some hit and trial and gave a conclusion that mycloud device is not working!!! This is told to me when their own teammate(David) accessed my device and took backup as well and acknowledged there is no issue with the drive but maybe with router settings.

Now my question to WD is that cant they recruit educated and well trained executives who have more knowledge than a layman like me? I want this issue to be resolved thats waiting for last 2 months after spending a hefty amount purchasing this super complicated device!!

1 Like

So whats the specific problem? Have you connected the My Cloud to the router? If so can you access the My Cloud? Was the My Cloud connected to a different router previously? What specific error message is displayed if any? Is your internet provider AT&T or do you use one of the routers mentioned in the following WD Knowledgebase article?

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=15086

Have you tried a 40 second reset?

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=13986

The specific problem originally was that my cloud device was not being
detected wirelessly but when connected through wired LAN to router…it was
getting detected and was able to use it. In order to debug this, 40 second
reset was also done but no help then backup of data was done and reset to
factory settings was being done by the support executive over share which
broke in between due to connection failure>>now issue is my cloud device s
not even working with LAN cable connected directly to device and my lapto
nor via router>>so now the device is not working anyways.
Yes, the router is changed as I changed the service provider 2 months
back…now the router is D Link router(DSL-2750U). The conclusion probably
was that port50 is closed but no resolution. Can you please help here.

Thanks

Did you give your new router the same name and password as your old one had?

I bought my new one several months back and had no problems with everything on my network still being able to connect because I gave it the same name and password.

same username password for what? The login for the router? that doesnt
matter, point is cloud devide taking input from router…if that would have
been a problem with user/pass, then wired lan wont also get connected.

It’s not a wireless device, so no, it wouldn’t be detected wirelessly… The support operative should have told you this straight away.

Or did you mean that accessing devices could not access it using a wireless connection to your router? In which case, I would suspect that your new router has a ‘guest wifi’ facility that stops guests seeing your local network. You’d need to connect to your private WiFi, which is allowed to access your local network.

I’d suggest going back to basics.
Connect your MyCloud and PC to your router.
Reset the router.
Reset (4sec) the MyCloud.
Check what the front panel and ethernet port LEDs on the MyCloud are doing.
If they’re active, access your router’s UI, and find the IP address it has allocated to the MyCloud.
If you can’t find it, try a different ethernet cable, and router port; your new router could be faulty…
If you can find an IP address, try using that to access the Dashboard.

OK, you said it, not me.

If you don’t feel that is a problem then do you have static IP addresses for all your devices or at least reserved on your router?

Here is a link to your routers User Manual. http://setuprouter.com/router/dlink/dsl-2750u/manual-25.pdf

What generation My Cloud do you have?

Yeah thats fine…device is connected to router but unable to access it
wirelessly.
Ok let me try to get ip and open up…is it anywhere related to closed
port50?

If you cannot access it wirelessly while connected to the same local network as the My Cloud then that is a configuration problem either with the wireless pc/device or with your local network. Your first step should be to check the router and ensure it is seeing the My Cloud IP address. It is typically recomended one configure the router to hand out a reserved IP address to the My Cloud. Next, check the router wireless settings to ensure the wireless clients are using the same IP address range as the My Cloud is.

For local network access you do not need to worry about ports unless you are filtering ports on your local network (at the router). Typically one ONLY has to worry about port numbers when one is having remote access problems.

That sounds like a lot of waffle, to me.

Port 50 is remote mail checking protocol:

Yeah…I can see router can see the mycloud device IP- but not sure what to
do next?

As indicated previously you should check the wireless settings within the router. Make sure the WiFi settign is using the same IP address range as the wired network. For example both networks using 192.168.1.x. Its possible the router is using something like “IP isolation” on the wireless side to prevent access to the wired network. For example if your router supports “guest” networks and your wireless computer/device is connected to that guest network its possible/probable the router is configure not to pass traffic from the guest network to the local network.

1 Like

Agreed. This is why I buy Seagate now. Sorry to bump the conversation from years ago, but it’s an ongoing problem that the people at WD don’t seem to care about. I’ll post how I was able to resolve, but it might not always work. This is a thread that does need to be kept alive for all the people who have purchased a mycloud and get no help from WD. The best way to get support at this time is through Windows. Until WD appreciates their customers and the fact that there’s competition out there, people would be better off looking elsewhere for backup devices.