Photos added to the My Cloud EX2 Ultra NAS have the creation date shifted by the NAS timezone

On my My Cloud EX2 Ultra firmware 5.28.105, photos from my Fujifilm cameras directly added to the NAS via SMB share have the creation date shifted by the time zone set for the NAS.

My time zone is PST (GMT -7 DST) and when accessing these photos via the iOS app, they are shifted -7 hours.

Photos imported via the iOS app don’t have this issue.

The shift is on the creation date time. EXIF of the photo shows that the creation and modification date time to be the same while on the NAS / iOS app creation date is shifted by NAS timezone -7 hours.

Hi @sweetpapa
Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:

This issue with the My Cloud EX2 Ultra NAS involves a timezone-related problem affecting creation dates of photos added via SMB share from Fujifilm cameras. The NAS appears to misinterpret file creation times, causing a -7 hour shift for PST timezone settings. The problem doesn’t occur with iOS app imports, suggesting it’s specific to SMB transfers. Potential fixes include updating NAS firmware, verifying timezone settings, using different file transfer methods, or adjusting camera settings. If these don’t work, contacting Western Digital support may be necessary to report a possible firmware bug. Resolving this will ensure accurate creation dates for proper photo organization and chronological viewing.

Known issue. Not specific to the camera brand.

Reported numerous times.

Never heard an acknowledgment of the issue from WD.