Noob user questions

Hello guys
I’m getting a lot off questions here, first of all let me tell you I’m a noob in the nas world, so some questions will look to you guys as basic, sorry about that
since a long time I wanted a nas, not something very fancy, but something that I could use to backup my personal files and access it on the fly, but I’m getting problems

I think that everything is setup correctly, as soon as I plugged it, it updated to the latest version, created couple of users, upload
uploaded my files (it took me about 8 hours, but that’s not the problem) I can access it over internet, I’ve created a ddns to access the dashboard, and almost everything is working good, there is only some questions
The device is always working making a little noise as if it always on, with no prior experience I can’t tell if this is the normal behavior and the led lights are rather useless, as they are always on, as far as I can tell the power led its always on (no fading, dimming or whatever), my wife its pressuring me to return the unit and get a good old desktop external hard drive, because she can’t stand with the low noise
I’ve tried disable dlna, cloud access and still no fading power light and the noise continues, is this the normal behavior?

second, how can I monitor if the disk it’s being accessed? there’s some log in the dashboard that can give that information?

Hi Perksls,

let’s start with HD and LED behaviour.
First of all, have you configured on your EX2 the “Energy Saver” (Setting/Energy Saver/Drive Sleep) ?
This will put on sleep your NAS when unused for a while. Then, about LED this is a long story.
With new firmware WD decided to keep then ON also during the sleep phase (dumb decision) ans so the only way to switch them off is throught the tab immediatly after the Drive Sleep, but this will put then off “forever”.

Then, also if you have enabled the “Drive Sleep” feature, every “X” time there will be some processes that will randomly bring your NAS to life also if you don’t do anything.

So, at the end, the only way to save both NAS and your “serenity” is to move the EX in another room.
The only alternative you have to put it on deep sleep, maybe during the night, is to enable the “Power Schedule” feature, again on Setting/Energy Saver menu, and define the hours it has to be halted.

And last, but no least: no, there is no way to have disk access log. This was a feature requested months ago to WD, but never implemented.

Sorry.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply
I’ve enabled sleep mode, but it’s always making a really low noise and a little warm air comes from the vent, so I’ve been wondering if it really enters sleep mode and of course when it enters, but as far as I can tell and for your post it seems that wd made a bunch of bad decisions, keeping on purpose users unaware of system use

anyway I like the ex2 and want to keep it, and definitely can’t move it to another room, but it’s getting on my nerves, I admit that

Anyway in user manual it seems that ex2 has Wake-on-LAN using “wd quick view”, that would be a solution if it was possible to send the magic packet trough my phone, is it?

Ok, found the WOL feature :grinning:

Now Let’s find out if this thing sleeps, Thanks for your help @Paulus

Hello,
even while working the nas is very quiet, if yours is so noisy from bothering you should have it replaced

1 Like

Thanks for your help @Simone_Z

I really don’t know if it is always on updating library, thumbnail ou something like that as background tasks, because I’ve uploaded a whole lot of data in my first use (mainly photos and videos but a few thousands), I’ve only have it for a coupe of days and been messing around with it but yesterday didn’t had a chance to look at it and now that I’ve access to the dashboard and wol from internet yesterday I kept it off just turning it on, on demand
I’m gonna keep it for few more days and see if the problem still persists, now that I know it should be quiet, if it doesn’t calm down I’m gonna have it replaced for sure, thanks

hi did you get Wake on LAn working on EX2? Can you tell me how , i seemed to have mised something.
thanks.

Hi,

Another noob here.

I originally purchased the MyCloud Ex2 to backup media content on my laptop, and things seem to be going smoothly. However, recently because of a lack of HDD space on my laptop, I have created a folder on the Shared Folder of the MyCloud, and been transferring media content direct to these folders. Are the files in the shared folder of MyCloud Ex 2 backed up in a similar way on 2 hard disks, such that in the event of a hard disk failure/fault on one of the hard disks within MyCloud, will my content be lost?

I find video playback (of movie files about 1GB) direct from the MyCloud very slow, with frequent freezes. I have an older Seagate GoFlex hard disk which seems to playback movies much faster. Both NAS are connected via the same router, so I can’t understand why one plays back videos much more slowly compared to the other.

Thanks in advance for your answers.