No web interface, without ssh and ftp access. On My book Live 3To

Hi all,

I received my device yesterday, the first thing i made was allowed the ssh acces.

Then i made a simple

“apt-get upgrade” and “apt-get update”.

After that, i reboot my device, and then the problem appears.

The ssh acces acces is now not allowed, so i decided to go to the web interface to allow it. But there’s no web interface anymore… I can reach the page, but she still empty, i tried in many way, but the result stay the same… (

with and without DNS, clearing my browser cache, try with IE/FF/Chrome) I don’t have any access.

I learned something about removing the hard drive from the nas, but what’s about the warranty?

Thank’s for all!

Yes it will void your warranty
These links are a good read
http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/mybook-live-update
http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/mybook-live
http://colekcolek.com/2011/12/20/hack-wd-book-live

I think you bricked because you didn’t protect against udev upgrade (aptitude hold udev) before you issued apt-get upgrade. There are other package upgrades that can mess up dashboard access but I’m no expert. (I’m pretty much running stock FW)

You can remove the drive and mount the os partitions from a live cd
mdadm --build /dev/md0 --raid-devices=2 --level=1 /dev/sda1 /dev/sda2
mount /dev/md0 /mnt/mbl
and then possibly just re-enable SSH by issuing
cd /mnt/mbl
echo “enabled” > /etc/nas/service_startup/ssh
Not sure this will work or not without trying myself but worth a shot
Hook the PCB back up to the hard drive and boot up and see if you can now SSH into the drive.
If you can, then easily restore stock firmware using Guide 2 at:
http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/GUIDE-Restore-Downgrade-firmware-via-the-reset-button/m-p/481588/highlight/true#M15044

If the above does not work, this link should get you going:
http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/GUIDE-How-to-unbrick-a-totally-dead-MBL/m-p/435724/highlight/true#M12669

After you debrick your drive, install the mod from Guide 1 in this link to protect youself from bricking again:
http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/GUIDE-Restore-Downgrade-firmware-via-the-reset-button/m-p/481588/highlight/true#M15044
It converts the MBL reset button into a MBL os debricker

ok, well… thank you…

I’m trying to put the hard drive off the box, but i don’t know how to do… I find many vidéo tutorials on the net, but that’s not with my model… (wich is that one):

it’s boring me…  Is there any documentation?

Yep, I give instructions and a picture in my link already posted above. So easy to open, even a woman has done it :wink:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/GUIDE-How-to-unbrick-a-totally-dead-MBL/m-p/435724/highlight/true#M12669

Firstly,

I want to thank you, it’s nice to find someone who can help! Then, i succeed to putt the hard drive off, i was afraid to destroy the box at the first step! :stuck_out_tongue:

Now, i tried to follow the tutorial, but i didn’t succeed… I dunno why, but the script return some errors…

I have 1 question about that:

-Should I have more than one partitions to do correctly the tutorial? I format to have only one in fat32, is that a problem?

Thank’s for all

What drive did you format to FAT32? Are you talking about the thumbdrive with the debrick.sh and rootfs.img files? If so, 1 FAT32 partition is exactly right.

If you are telling me that you formatted your MyBookLive hard drive to FAT32, then you will have to recreate the proper partitions using the destroy flag when running the script. The MybookLive runs Debian Linux and requires 2 EXT3 partitions for the OS, 1 EXT4 partition for the data, and 1 swap partition. (See below)

FOLLOWING THIS SECTION OF THE GUIDE WILL DELETE YOUR PERSONAL DATA

Only use this section of the guide if you want to debrick the hard drive and rebuild the partition table and you have already backed up all the data on the drive

These commands will also allow you to install a brand new 1, 2, or 3tb drive into the Mybook Live enclosure.

It is recommened that you delete all partitions from the drive using gparted so you are left with one large unallocated partition before running the script to rebuild the partition table (Thanks brimerr)

Once again bold text indicates that you should use the changes from above for that particular part of the command if your devices show up under gparted differently than they did for me…

mkdir /mnt/usb                                              (Creates mount directory)
mount -t vfat /dev/ sdb1 /mnt/usb                (Mounts the thumbdrive with your 2 files)
cd /mnt/usb                                                    (Enters USB directory)
mdadm -S /dev/md0                                     (Stops SystemRescueCD soft-raid - REQUIRED for script to run)
./debrick.sh rootfs.img /dev/ sda destroy  (Script will rewrite the partition table of disk and DESTROY all data and debrick the drive)

Here is what the output will look like with the destroy flag set

root@sysresccd /root % mkdir /mnt/usb
root@sysresccd /root % mount -t vfat /dev/sdc1 /mnt/usb
root@sysresccd /root % cd /mnt/usb
root@sysresccd /mnt/usb % mdadm -S /dev/md0
mdadm: stopped /dev/md0
root@sysresccd /mnt/usb % ./debrick.sh rootfs.img /dev/sda destroy

**********************DISK**********************

script will use the following disk: 

Model: ATA WDC WD10EARS-00M (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 1000GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags: 

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
 1 15.7MB 2064MB 2048MB ext3 primary raid
 2 2064MB 4113MB 2049MB ext3 primary raid
 3 4113MB 4624MB 512MB primary
 4 4624MB 1000GB 996GB ext4 primary

is this REALLY the disk you want? [y] y

**********************IMAGE**********************

**********************IMPLEMENTATION**********************

everything is now prepared!
device: /dev/sda
image_img: rootfs.img
destroy: true

this is the point of no return, continue? [y] y

32+0 records in
32+0 records out
33554432 bytes (34 MB) copied, 0.800974 s, 41.9 MB/s
32+0 records in
32+0 records out
33554432 bytes (34 MB) copied, 0.395157 s, 84.9 MB/s
32+0 records in
32+0 records out
33554432 bytes (34 MB) copied, 0.346756 s, 96.8 MB/s
32+0 records in
32+0 records out
33554432 bytes (34 MB) copied, 0.555298 s, 60.4 MB/s
Testing with pattern 0x00: done                                                 
Reading and comparing: done                                                 
GNU Parted 3.1
Using /dev/sda
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
(parted) mklabel gpt                                                      
(parted) mkpart primary 528M 2576M                                       
(parted) mkpart primary 2576M 4624M                                       
(parted) mkpart primary 16M 528M                                          
(parted) mkpart primary 4624M -1M                                         
(parted) set 1 raid on                                                    
(parted) set 2 raid on                                                    
(parted) quit                                                             
Information: You may need to update /etc/fstab.

Warning: blocksize 65536 not usable on most systems.                      
mke2fs 1.42.3 (14-May-2012)
mkfs.ext4: 65536-byte blocks too big for system (max 4096)
Proceed anyway? (y,n) y
Warning: 65536-byte blocks too big for system (max 4096), forced to continue
Filesystem label=
OS type: Linux
Block size=65536 (log=6)
Fragment size=65536 (log=6)
Stride=0 blocks, Stripe width=0 blocks
15144960 inodes, 15191344 blocks
0 blocks (0.00%) reserved for the super user
First data block=0
Maximum filesystem blocks=133677056
232 block groups
65528 blocks per group, 65528 fragments per group
65280 inodes per group
Superblock backups stored on blocks: 
	65528, 196584, 327640, 458696, 589752, 1638200, 1769256, 3210872, 
	5307768, 8191000

Allocating group tables: done                            
Writing inode tables: done                            
Creating journal (32768 blocks): done
Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done   

destroying was done, would you like to continue with installation? [y] y

mdadm: size set to 1999808K
mdadm: array /dev/md0 started.
mke2fs 1.42.3 (14-May-2012)
Filesystem label=
OS type: Linux
Block size=4096 (log=2)
Fragment size=4096 (log=2)
Stride=0 blocks, Stripe width=0 blocks
125184 inodes, 499952 blocks
24997 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
First data block=0
Maximum filesystem blocks=515899392
16 block groups
32768 blocks per group, 32768 fragments per group
7824 inodes per group
Superblock backups stored on blocks: 
	32768, 98304, 163840, 229376, 294912

Checking for bad blocks (read-only test): done                                                 
Allocating group tables: done                            
Writing inode tables: done                            
Creating journal (8192 blocks): done
Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done 

mdadm: added /dev/sda2

synchronize raid... done

copying image to disk... 
3999616+0 records in
3999616+0 records out
2047803392 bytes (2.0 GB) copied, 170.032 s, 12.0 MB/s
mdadm: stopped /dev/md0

all done! device should be debricked!

root@sysresccd /mnt/usb %

If still getting errors, please post the exact output you get when you run the script.

1 Like
If you are telling me that you formatted your MyBookLive hard drive to FAT32, then you will have to recreate the proper partitions using the destroy flag when running the script. The MybookLive runs Debian Linux and requires 2 EXT3 partitions for the OS, 1 EXT4 partition for the data, and 1 swap partition. (See below)

So…

That’s what i did:

-Merge all the partitions from the hard drive, format the only one in fat 32 (lost 1To and keep that To unformated, because fat 32 is 2To limited). I correclty put the 2 files on it. Obviously i follow exaclty what the tutorial said, with the desroy flag…

that’s what i did precisely:

mkdir /mnt/usb                                             

mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb For me sda1 is the only one partition (there’s another one, but she’s unformated)

cd /mnt/usb

ls -a (just verifying that the two files are there)                                                

mdadm -S /dev/md0                                  

./debrick.sh rootfs.img /dev/sda destroy 

However, when i ran the script lot’s of errors appears… 

What have I done wrong?

Ok let’s see if I can get you on the right track. By looking at what you posted, you are only using 1 drive. (/dev/sda)
You need to use 2 drives… 1 usb thumbdrive and your mybooklive

1. You need a 4 gig or bigger thumbdrive which you put the 2 files on (Usually comes up as sdb1 in gparted)
  2. You need your mybooklive hard drive hooked up to a sata port on the same computer (Usually comes up as sda in gpated)

In gparted at the top right there is a box that shows the drive whose partition information is currently being displayed.

Click the drop-down box to switch between drives and see where they are located. (sda, sdb,sdc etc…)

mkdir /mnt/usb                                             
mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb (mounts your thumbdrive)(usaually shows up in gparted at /dev/sdb1)
cd /mnt/usb
mdadm -S /dev/md0                                  
./debrick.sh rootfs.img /dev/sda destroy (runs the script and points it to /dev/sda which should be your mybooklive)(mybooklive usually shows up in gparted at /dev/sda)

Gosh… I was using Just the hard drive, i put the files on it, and then i try to use the script, it seems weird to me, but i did it.

My mistake came from " thumbdrive" I’m french (that’s why i speak like a goat :wink: ), i thought it was a hard drive, not an usb device…

l will try you’re solution wednesday, wich is clear and relevant! Thank You! :smiley:

LOL, your welcome, and please let us know if you are successful. Many times people never report back success stories, only failures :slight_smile: It helps me help other people to know things I suggest work for people :slight_smile:

So…

It Works! I’m so happy, However, there’s some issues.

When i right click to install WD smartware, it give me a 404. Moreover, the Mybook Led Still red, and when i go to the web interface, there’s something with the “SMART” and little message wich says that the MybookLive is defective.

i’ve got another one questions, i can’t watch any mkv files from my TV, i learned something about update twonky, is there any alternative to have a upnp server wich can read mkv files freely?

If you don’t have any data on the drive, try doing a quick factory restore from the Dashboard and reboot the drive to see if that clears up the error.

i don’t know yet if the message has gone…

However, is there any answer about the mkv extension?

EDIT
The next MBL firmware upgrade is supposed to have a new DLNA server

Sorry it was a guide by phibertron

http://community.twonky.com/twonky/topics/how_to_upgrade_twonky_server_on_wd_mybook_live?page=1

The next MBL firmware upgrade is supposed to have a new DLNA server

When will it be update? I don’t want to pay for twonky.

Is there no one who had install another one upnp/dlna server? Is that a debian distribution wich turn with the mybook live?

However, after the “Full Factory Restore” the same errors still there…

1.png

2.png

Is there any solution? Shall i open a new thread? 

What firmware are you on now? If not the newest, update to the newest and see if that fixes the issue. I can’t see the pics you posted until a mod approves them.
As far as the dlna server goes, I think somebody has installed one called seviio. I think it’s free but you will have to google info. Otherwise wait for the firmware update from WD.

It may also help if you start from scratch. Hook the drive back up to your computer. Boot the SystemRescueCd and open gparted and delete ALL partitions from the MyBookLive hard drive. The drive should now just have 1 big partition marked RAW. Now try running the script again…

Maybe the drive already being formatted to FAT32 messed up the partition creation in the script somehow.

ok! I’ve go the same idea but it’s boring me to putt of the hard drive from the box again…! Moreover, i’ve got some issues with the NAS linux, and can’t run basic command without any error message, so i will try Tuesday, after  Xmas…!

Thank you for everything!

nfodiz,

I make my come back.

After few try i make everything ok! thanks in part to your links. I format the disk, update everything on it and install serviio (1.1)  and have to Solve many problems by my own. At this time it works, but it’s to short and i don’t know yet, if it will stay working!

I’ve got three questions:

-The first one: Serviio take 15/20 minutes to be up. can i reduce it?

-The second: How can I remove the “public” repertory on the Mybook?

-I’m still having the problem with the “SMART”… What can i do?

Thank’s for everything :slight_smile: