New Release - Firmware Version 02.02.02-020 for My Book Live (8/31/11)

WD is happy to announce the latest firmware update for the My Book Live. For information about the firmware update, please check out the release notes.

Please feel free to post your experiences in this thread.

I have just updated to the lastest firmware 02.02.02-020 on my LIvebook drive and that went fine. After the reboot the green light is always blinking and the drive is whirring away like it was indexing or something is this normal? I did just drop a load of photos on the drive before the firmware upgrade but they are in a database so doubtful that the machine can index that. Cheers Broughy

Standby works again. Thank you!

Hi,

My MLB is trying to update to 02.02.02-020 but the purple light is already on for more than 2 hours. Dashboard still says it’s upgrading but I don’t see any progress. What should I do?

Thanks,

Melvin

Good to see this is out.

Hope you get to launch the My Book World update out this week as well.

Any update on that one ?

Cheers,

Frank.

What happened to the promised firmware update for MyBook World!!!

This is taking far too long and represents pretty shabby customer support

Urggghhh… My hand was itchy, and I ran the apt-get dist-upgrade and upgraded everything, and those which didn’t upgrade, i did a dpkg -force-all -i . All was well until I tried to upgrade to the latest firmware which was alerted to me this morning. It took too long, and when I rebooted, I lost the webUI access, as expected.

I tried downloading the firmware and doing the “updateFirmwareToLatest.sh reboot” and “updateFirmwareFromFile.sh /CacheVolume/updateFile.deb” but both failed, deleting the firmware file updateFile.deb and creating an update.log.

MyBookLive:/CacheVolume# more update.log
(Reading database … 19728 files and directories currently installed.)

Preparing to replace apnc 02.01.06-025 (using /CacheVolume/updateFile.deb) …

[: 59: /dev/md0: unexpected operator

[: 59: /dev/md0: unexpected operator

[: 122: /dev/md0: unexpected operator

Unknown rootfs boot device: ‘/dev/md0’, exiting.

dpkg: error processing /CacheVolume/updateFile.deb (—install):

subprocess new pre-installation script returned error exit status 1

Errors were encountered while processing:

/CacheVolume/updateFile.deb

Now I don’t have webUI (but thankfully still have ssh access to it), and lost the ability to upgrade to the latest firmware. I tried looking for the /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf file, but the folder exists, but is empty, no conf file in there. Should I create the conf file, or is there any other way for me to restore the firmware (and hopefully restore the linux in the drive) without erasing all my data in the 3Tb drive (shudder!)?

Same prblem as MelvinV, ie UI indicating that the upgrade is in progress, but nothing happening after 8 hours.

The progress bar is at about 5% complete.

Indicator light is dim green.

Fortunately I can still get to the content, but there’s something not quite right.

I hope someone has got a suggestion, other than “Factory Reset”.

Thanks in advance

W.

Hello,

I just upgraded to the newest firmware and it seems to have solved a connection problem to my 100MBit Ethernet switch that I was having: if I connected the NAS before turning the switch on the switch would freeze killing the entire network. This has been fixed, thank you!

But now with the upgraded firmware the drive keeps waking up from sleep although nothing is accessing the drive at all. 

Sep 2 04:21:57 localhost logger: Enter standby
Sep 2 04:23:00 localhost logger: exit standby after 63
Sep 2 04:34:08 localhost logger: Enter standby
Sep 2 04:38:49 localhost logger: exit standby after 281
Sep 2 04:39:49 localhost logger: send mediacrawler 2587 wakeup signal
Sep 2 04:52:00 localhost logger: Enter standby
Sep 2 05:08:53 localhost logger: exit standby after 1013
Sep 2 05:09:54 localhost logger: send mediacrawler 2587 wakeup signal
Sep 2 05:22:04 localhost logger: Enter standby
Sep 2 05:38:54 localhost logger: exit standby after 1010
Sep 2 05:39:54 localhost logger: send mediacrawler 2587 wakeup signal
Sep 2 05:52:06 localhost logger: Enter standby
Sep 2 06:08:54 localhost logger: exit standby after 1008
Sep 2 06:09:54 localhost logger: send mediacrawler 2587 wakeup signal
Sep 2 06:22:05 localhost logger: Enter standby
Sep 2 06:38:54 localhost logger: exit standby after 1009
Sep 2 06:39:54 localhost logger: send mediacrawler 2587 wakeup signal
Sep 2 06:52:06 localhost logger: Enter standby
Sep 2 07:08:54 localhost logger: exit standby after 1008
Sep 2 07:09:55 localhost logger: send mediacrawler 2587 wakeup signal
Sep 2 07:27:08 localhost logger: Enter standby
Sep 2 07:38:54 localhost logger: exit standby after 706

(Also, putting my SSH key into /root/.ssh/authorized_keys does not work any more (just a side note), despite the key, SSH keeps asking for my password.)

Why does the device keep waking up?

I have not modified the firmware in any way since upgrading.

Thank you!

Hello,

I found two bugs in the current firmware:

* The WebUI will not accept a workgroup name “PRIVATE-NET”

* The WebUI accepts passwords with spaces, but will only save (and subsequently use) the first word in the password. If you use “The fox jumps.” as a password, the password will be “The”. This is rather irritating.

Can you work on these?

Thanks!

Stefan29:

Thanks for reporting this. We are looking into this issue.

Others having issues upgrading. We did put some code in to help with the upgrade process, so let me know which version firmware you are trying to upgrade from.

I was upgrading from the recent version, the one that added WD2Go support.

I try to keep my firmware current!

W.

I was going to upgrade but after noticing reports of bricked MBLs and someone having the drive constantly wake approx every 16 minutes I’ve opted not to apply the update just yet. So what is the issue? Is this update safe to apply?

WDTony wrote:

Stefan29:

Thanks for reporting this. We are looking into this issue.

Others having issues upgrading. We did put some code in to help with the upgrade process, so let me know which version firmware you are trying to upgrade from.

Yes - it is safe to apply. We have two copies of the firmware on the unit, so you should never be able to brick the drive. We are seeing certain users have issues with long upgrade cycles, but it is not very common. We put some code in the last release to make sure services were off until the upgrade was performed. If you are experiencing this issue, it would be helpful is to reboot the box and send us your system report. Go to Support → Create and Save System Report . That zip file created will have the logs we would need to look at this. 

To whom should we send the zip file?

BTW: After rebooting the box, the indicator light is now blinking dim green, with the occasional flash of bright green.

Its still not a happy camper.

I can access the shares from my Linux box, but the Book is now no longer showing up on my Windows network, and cannot connect to it,

I’m not a happy camper!!!

Latest Update:

Reapplied Update, and now I have received the good email…

Following events are generated on your MyBookLive Book. 

Event title:Firmware update successful 

Event description:The firmware update was successful. 

Severity:info 

Event code:2004 

Event time:09-03-2011 09:33:51 AM

No change in the indicator light, but it is accessible now from the windows and linux systems.

looking at ‘top’,  Average Load is 6.52

twonkymediaserv is hogging the cpu, and has been for the last 10+minutes

A happier camper now!

W.

With my problem, would I be able to revert to your firmware? I am currently unable to upgrade or revert at all, my error was pasted in a previous reply on this thread.

i upgraded from 2.01.16 to this one yesterday.  Dashboard>settings>update.  Downloaded, installed, rebooted without issue.

Looks like the drive doesn’t wake up every time my laptop wakes up, so that’s good.

FWIW, My firmware upgrade went without any issues.

In the past, I have used SSH/aptitude to install mysql ( to run web page that uses the database service), no-ip DUC (for ddns) and bind9 (for local cached dns) in the box and obviously needed to reinstall all of them after the upgrade, but upgrade itself went without any hicup.

One thing I noticed is that with this upgrade,  debian’s depository list in /etc/apt/resources.list   was reduced to squeeze depository only. (no lenny depository listed)   Unfortunately, noip duc is not a part of it so I had to resort to optware.

About the same time the new firmware came out,  I attempted to set up my MBL for the first time.   Before the firmware upgrade,  I was accessing the drive although having problems where I had to reset the MBL by unplugging the ethernet from the router, then unplugging the power.   I would have to wait about 45 minutes to an hour for the cycles of blue, yellow, and green to run all the way through but I could get to the end.

After the firmware I installed on Friday (9/1),  now the MBL doesn’t stay online long but about 5 minutes.   It says I need to update the firmware, but it goes in this standby mode with the green steady light, but nothing is getting through to the MBL.  The reset button is not doing anything either.  

There is nothing wrong with the router (Linksys WRT350N) because multiple laptops, desktops and game consoles accessing it and I’ve turned off all security and spyware activity (Zone Alarm and Windows). 

I have attempted to get this product to work for three days now and now reading numerous forums and discussions.  I can’t even get in long enough to do anything.   Am I stuck at this point?

how do the lights keep cycling if you’ve unplugged the power?  I’m just confused by the wording there.