It was a nail-biter, but the update was ultimately “somewhat” (see below) successful.
I saw this morning (Berlin, Germany local time) that there was a new update. Fully cognizant of the recent problems, I decided to go for it.
The first attempt produced the error 33146 (or something like this) “Update Unsuccessful” after about thirty seconds.
Undaunted - I guess because fundamentally I have great faith in a “higher power” (and I don’t mean WD technology here) - I decided to try it again.
The progress bar went to 10%, then to 24% - and I figured I was on my way. Then, however, it went BACK to 10% and stayed there spinning for about 10 minutes. At this point, I figured I was in hot water, so I went to the kitchen to boil some real hot water - for tea. By the time I came back it was up to 50%.
I went back to the kitchen to actually make the tea, and when I got back, I was told the download had been successful and the drive would reboot. It did.
The re-initialization process took quite awhile (10-12 minutes), but now I’ve got a blinking green light again, and I’m able to access my data on the network:catvery-happy:.
I guess this won’t be a very satisfying ending for WD or the other people who use advanced features like shares and remote access. I don’t use them and have no idea if the update has resolved the previous issues.
For my purposes, though, the update was pretty much successful (see below), although I see no difference whatsoever in the length of time it takes, for example, to open the dashboard and transfer data.
I did a super un scientific “transfer-speed” test and found, using my egg timer, that it took about three minutes and twenty seconds to transfer 1.27gb of “general stuff” from my computer to the drive using my WinXP - supposedly gigabit - network. I don’t have any benchmarks, but it doesn’t appear noticeably different than before.
Your mileage may vary.
Oh, since this was one of the reported problems, I’m going to wait awhile to see if it goes to sleep. Withe .053 software, this generally happened after about ten minutes of inactivity. I think I’ll go make breakfast …
Well, it’s now about an hour later and the green light is still blinking.:manmad: Hmmmm, I guess this means the update has - again - broken something that worked before.
I’ll post again if and when the nice blue light comes on.
For me it’s not such a big deal because the drive is actually turned off about ninety percent of the time. I only turn it on every other day or so when I do a back up. I also have six other back-up drives, and the MBL is only a small part of a highly redundant systam.
Having said this, of course I like it when all my machines work the way they’re s’posed to. Since the drive still - now after about an hour and a half - hasn’t gone into sleep mode, as I’ve said, I’ll have to term the update only “somewhat successful.”