New Release - My Book Live Firmware Version 02.32.05-046 (9/26/12)

Really!  Really? 

After 6 months of waiting for the WD2Go relay connection problem to be fixed, I upgraded to 2.35.05-046 and the problem I documented in this thread and which is specifically listed as being fixed in the release notes, still occurs.  

The drive still does not send my external ip address to the www.wd2go.com server when issuing the command to do the port forwarding check so the server returns an error.  The drive interprets this as if the port forwarding has failed and the drive always switches to “relay mode”.  This despite the fact the ports are open.

This is likely because the following error is generated when communicationmanager is run:

“getaddrinfo() error : Name or service not known”

I reported the problem back  in June and I was told it was going to be fixed in the next firmware, which was pulled.  Finally this one comes out which specically lists this problem as being fixed in the release notes, but it’s not fixed. 

Now I’m forced to go back to my work around of using my router (which isn’t currently working since “curl” no longer runs on the latest version TomatoUSB for whatever reason).   I shouldn’t have to work around this bug.

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

JoeyG wrote:

@HalexF

I’m going to have to revise my analysis.

The light has now been solid blue for a couple of hours. What changed in the constellation is that I turned off my Lenovo S20, which might have “wake-on-lan” still activated in the BIOS, though I’m not sure if this has anything to do with it.

Perhaps even more important is the fact that the S20 is the only one of the nine computers we have that runs Win7 (pro x64). All the others have 32-bit XP SP3.

Currently there are two cable-connected computers and one on wi-fi running on our little network. As I’ve said, the light has been blue since I turned off the S20 a couple of hours ago.

Which OS are you using?

I use OS X. But I mean, since I see the exact same sleep patterns both with all phones, pads, computers and other devices connecting to the router turned off as with them all turned on and connected - I doubt the problem lies somewhere else than either with the MBL or with the Airport Extreme Base Station, or their incompatibility.

I guess I’m mainly afraid that it will shorten the life span of the drive, constantly spinning up and down.

mbrondt wrote:

Hi

I have updated from 02.32.05-044 to 02.32.05-144 via Dashboard with success.

Since the version before addition of AirPlay functionality to the MBL/WD2GO app,  I haven’t been able to use remote access via WD2GO, but with this patch all functionality is back to normal, except LED light. But it is a minor problem to me.

If no new “missing features” arrive in the near future, I will sit back relaxing and won’t upgrade more firmware :dizzy_face:

Regards

Brondt

As of this morning I noticed that it actually still loses connection via WD2GO after a couple of  minutes, then I can go back to “root”  of the device, then re-connect and it will work again. It seems to be a problem only on 3G, when on a WI-FI connection, it works flawlessly??

Regards

Brondt

Craaaap - still can’t access my drive through WD2GO :frowning:

Should I rebuild the DB would that possibly help?

teamNOOB wrote:

Craaaap - still can’t access my drive through WD2GO :frowning:

Should I rebuild the DB would that possibly help?

What are the symptoms? Don’t think it will help you rebuilding the DB :neutral_face:

/Brondt

Hey mate,

Can’t access the drive via the app or through wd2go & now streaming movies over the net (connected via ethernet) is making the movies skip. Never had that before even playing remuxes and this video tonight is only 2gb.

**bleep** :frowning:

grrrrr hate this site - can’t even quote posts in my reply…

teamNOOB wrote:

grrrrr hate this site - can’t even quote posts in my reply…

Sorry, to hijack this thread, but …

Though there’s certainly a lot at which to vent frustration here, the inability to quote posts deserves a bit of reconsideration.

The way my account is set up (though I’m not sure it makes a difference), I simply click “Reply” on the right next to the post I’d like to quote, and then the “Post Message” window opens. 

As you can see in the image, there’s a “Quote” button; just click it and voilà. Then you can edit the quote as you like. If you open another tab in your browser, you can even repeat the procedure and then cut and paste multiple quotes.

Just to be fair to WD here, I take part in quite a few forums, and one of the things I can’t moan about in my WD experience is the bulletin board facility. As an English teacher, I especially like the Spell Check function, and I definitely encourage everyone to use it assiduously.:stuck_out_tongue:

(Now here it comes) → What I hate, though, is that - as far as I’ve been able to figure out- we can’t upload our own avatars.  If anyone knows how to do this, I’d appreciate your telling me how. Thanks in advance.

JoeyG wrote:

Sorry, to hijack this thread, but …

As you can see in the image, there’s a “Quote” button; just click it and voilà. Then you can edit the quote as you like. If you open another tab in your browser, you can even repeat the procedure and then cut and paste multiple quotes.

Please don’t be sorry - you just pointed out something I had missed completely. Thank you :slight_smile:

Just to update my previous post - I turned off Remote Access and now movies play smoothlessly.

@teamNOOB

Glad I was able to help.

I have updated the firmware from 02.32.05-044 to 02.32.05-144 via Dashboard successfully.

I notice the WD2GO still working, doesn’t notice much on the performance increase, I do encounter connection dropping with WD2GO when using 02.32.05-044 firmware.  Still to early to tell whether the 02.32.05-144 firmware will encounter the connection drop for WD2GO.

The 02.32.05-144 firmware does mention that the performance for the Windows file sharing (samba) will be improve compare to 02.32.05-044, however I experince the same result.

I’m using a direct connection (UTP CAT6, between notebook and MYBL), so that to isolate any device that may cause the bad network performance.  I use 2 tests: (1) copying large files (2) copying lot of smaller files from notebook to MYBL, the perfromance of 02.32.05-144 firmware still same as 02.32.05-044 firmware, which I only got around 8MB/s to 13MB/s write speed.

Compare to previous firmware, I able to get the write speed of around 20MB/s, up to 30MB/s.  There are some other users encounter the same performance dropped after upgraded to new firmware (using new samba which support Windows 8).

Is there anything that I can do to improve the performance?  Or wait for the next firmware release?

With this new firmware update TimeMachine backups are visible for all users, how a can hide TimeMachine Backups or only show each Backup for his owner

Thanks

Tried two different firmwares on my router and still have same end result with this new firmware.

For lack of a better description the new firmware does not seem to recover from a fault state.   It does not, when it is necessary, go back out and request another IP from the DHCP server.

So some part of “Hey, I’m not connected any more…” and “Simmer down now, it’ll be okay,  don’t freak out.  This is an easy fix.  Mr. DHCP server would you be so kind as to give me a new IP address?” is broken.

After updating the firmware, the twonky media server is saying that there is no contents shared when accessing from my WD Live TV and from my Denon 4308 amp.  Everything is still there, can access from my laptop and wd-2go, but nothing is showing in the twonky media server, please help…

Copying to the drive as acting weird now.

It will say ‘preparing to copy’ for like a minute and then start transferring. These are small files too (16MB).

On mac…

EDIT

rebooting the device seems to have addressed this issue

So why is it that im running 046 and am having loads of trouble?

I have a thread explaining the problems im having, someone has replied saying they phoned WD who told them 046 is screwed and we need to RMA our devices!

l0ck_st0ck wrote:

So why is it that im running 046 and am having loads of trouble?

I have a thread explaining the problems im having, someone has replied saying they phoned WD who told them 046 is screwed and we need to RMA our devices!

I think the poster is referring to this thread.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/MyBookLive-2tb-locked-cant-access-utilities-and-still-cant/td-p/478346

First off, I guess I should know better than to update firmware without checking the boards first - but I didn’t and wish I had.

I updated to .05-046 this morning, and now I find that I cannot access the dashboard website on my MBL via IE9.

The dashboard website begins to load but then IE9 reports a crash and tries reloading the page.  This happens 3 times before IE9 gives up and reports that the page cannot be loaded.  Prior to applying 05.046, I did not have any problems like this.  (I’m not sure what version of FW on was on before)

For those who may encounter this problem, here is the workaround:

In the IE window of the Dashboard that failed to load, make note of the IP address in the URL for your dashboard (mine is http://192.168.1.2 - yours may be a different address)

Launch a new IE window (just let it go to your default home page)

Press F12 to open the developer toolbar at the bottom of the window

Click on “Browser Mode” and change it to either “Internet Explorer 9 Compatibility View” or “Internet Explorer 8”

Now in the address bar, type in the URL address of your dashboard.

I don’t use remote access, so can’t say if anything has changed with that.  Other features (fileshares and backups) seem operational for me, luckilly.

Hi Nik,

I hope you can assist me.

Previous firmware  02.11.09.053.

Updated to  02.32.05.144 today (Spt. 29).

Smartware v 1.6.2.

I am locked out of the drive. Unit asking for username & password. I tried the unit reset on  rear of unit, it reset, but I’m still locked out. I never set up a username or password, and admin/admin does not work.

This first happened when  I updated to FW 02.11.09.053. That’s when the username/passwoed became an issue.

I then uninstalled the Smartware, did a full system restore, and re-loaded the Smartware. Same issue. Locked out.

Any suggestions on how to correct this, or do I have to return the unit to WD for a new unit.

Cheers

Kev

I just cannot believe it. Still, remote access is not working after the update to 02.32.05-046.

I get this error:

Cannot establish remote access connection. Make sure you are connected to the Internet. (Error 31520)

But port forwarding (5180->80,5443->443) is working fine. I can connect from external to http://myip:5180 and to https://myip:5443 and get “You don’t have permission to access /UI on this server”, which is clearly coming from mybooklive.

Thus, it just doesn’t work. They try and try again.

Guess what, I did it again! How could I run a WD firmware update without checking the board first!?

But meanwhile I’m quite experienced in unbricking my MyBookLive. Thanks to WD I’ve been learning a lot about Linux, EXT Filesystems, I was able to recover 300 GB of deleted files, I know how to use SSH, I meanwhile even know some Linux commands by heart. :smiley:

For everybody who has to unbrick their  MyBookLive, here’s help:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/GUIDE-How-to-unbrick-a-totally-dead-MBL/td-p/435724

1 Like