New Release - Firmware Version 02.02.02-020 for My Book Live (8/31/11)

I am kind of desperate… I have programmed my MBL to update automatically when a new firmware is available. I went out for the weekend and when i arrive today he turn into a brick!!!

I bought it 2 weeks ago and have done the last update without any problem…

Can anybody help me?

Did the new firmware could brick my MBL??

cman548,  what I was attempting to describe is that the MBL was accessible prior to the 8/31 firmware release although I had to wait at least 45 minutes between each reboot then.    After I did the firmware on 9/1, or at least I attempted it,  the MBL  does goes through the standard cycle of blue, then yellow , blink green and steady green.   At that point,  you think it’s all good and I respond to the MBL request to update firmware.   A few minutes later, no access can be made into the MBL, but the light is still steady green and the firmware never has a chance to load.

I shut off everything and disconnected the MBL after this original post this morning and came back 6 hours later to try it again.    Same exact scenario… it boots up and is ready to load firmware only to go into some time of sleep mode and won’t wake up.

filipedcabral wrote:

Did the new firmware could brick my MBL??

Pretty unlikely.  According to what WD said, there are TWO firmware loads on the box.   If one fails, the other is used.

I can´t access it, so it is like a brick to me. I can´t access it in my home network and even doing a b2b to my PC he didn’t find the device…I change the cable, i reboot it…

Is there anything else that allows access without the ETH cable?

@WDTony since there are 2 copies of the firmware on the drive, is there any way to force the drive to use the “other” copy of the firmware? The copy of firmware which my MBL is booting from now is screwed – it can’t install the updated firmware due to apt-get being updated to the latest dist.

I have lost WebUI access to the drive, and AFP and SMB seem to be gone too. I’ve still got ssh access to it.

Not much I can do for you if you have modified our system. Sorry :frowning:

Hello,

I think the problem with the wake up after ~16min was due to a OS X Path Finder* window open on a mounted share.

Although it would be good if this would not cause a wakeup, either.

If I have no windows opened on mounted shares, the device does not seem to wake up.

* Path Finder is a OS X Finder extension / replacement.

Regards

melvin:

It is possible to open the case and then remove the drive and connect it to any SATA connector on another computer, or put it in an external SATA USB case. Then you can play back the default system images which are available on the internet, e.g. at http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/backup-images-of-mybook. It is not necessary to delete your data, although I would keep a backup just in case you replay to the wrong partition.

You’ll need some experience using ‘dd’ and the like, though. And a screwdriver. :wink:

PS: I never told you to actually do this. It is just a theoretical possibility.

I would at first consider a “fake” upgrade as written in the mentioned forum - getting back to the original state. Maybe you need download an old firmware at first. Once you done the “fake” upgrade you might be able to do a real upgrade to a new version. Good Luck.

Do all WD Live drives in circulation now need to have the firmware updated to take advantage of WD2go?

WD Live =  My Book Live??

You need to be on firmware version 2.0 or higher to use WD 2go.

Yes, I ment WD MBL. (Western Digital My Book Live)

I only ask becuase I plan on recomending this drive to friends who do not know much about computers but want the features the MBL offeres. When I first got my drive it had the version 1.? firmware. I clicked the update firmware button and it said I had the latest firmware. (still at version 1.?) Only after trying to install MioNet and WD2go did I descover that I needed version 2.0+ to get WD2go to work. (I don’t want to use or talk about MioNet) I had to do a manual firmware update. The update took about 45 min to install. So will WD2go work for most people out of the box or wiil then need to mess around with a manual update?

A decision was made to make this a manual update because of the ramifications replacing Mionet with WD 2go.  We had to let people make their own choice to upgrade or not.

Most of the channel inventory still has older firmware versions. We have cut in the new firmware to the factory, but it will take several months for it to be completely in the channel.

I had previously fixed the ‘no sleep’ issue under the older firmware by disabling remote access.  But after upgrading to the new firmware listed in this thread, the ‘no sleep’ issue has returned – the green light remains consistently on and there is a reasonable amount of warmth coming from the drive even after 8 hours unused overnight.  (contrast this to my other my book, which sleeps normally and is cold to the touch when not in use). 

Any idea what the new fix is or whether this will be addressed again in the next update?

Good evening guys,

I am having a strange problem since updating to 02.02.02, and I was hoping that maybe someome here could shed some light on it.

Basically I performed an update to the new firmware last night and everything seemed to be fine however, to my dissapointment the Remote access feature has never worked again.

Also the connectivity status shows “Could not establish remote access connection. Please make sure you are connected to the Internet.”

I was using WD2GO on my iphone quite happily before the firmware update but now when i try and enable the REMOTE ACCESS under the settings tab i get an error code of “31505” - The device status could not be updated due to an communication or internal software error.

I have no modifications to the drive and it has been pleasure to use the last 8 months. Just so you know i have tried every idea i can think of such as port forwarding and redoing the firmware update twice but I just can’t get the remote access back.

The mobile access box is also greyed out. I would appreciate any help what so ever as wd2go was amazing and i’m really stuck without it.

Cheers guys

I have a very simple question. I have the iTunes server, Twonky server and remote access disabled.

Will this firmware allow the drive to go into standby correctly?

I’m noticing people on here are reporting issues with the drive standby function.

I believe all the standby issues have been resolved. All my drives that I previously had issues with go into standby, so if it is not, it is likely that something is accessing your box (Media Indexing, Photo transcoding, open browser with our dashboard).

Hi all

Just solved this one, basically had to go ahead and do a quick factory reset and the remote access was restored straight away.

I can now use WD2go once again on my iphone and ipad, am very happy.

Also standby is working correctly on this firmware now. :slight_smile:

Hi Tony,

My standby issues have not been resolved by this update – indeed, they were previously resolved but now have returned since the firmware update was applied!

actually, I realized the firmware update had reset my twonky server setting back to automatic scan (-1)… i reset it back to 0 to turn off automatic scan, and i expect that will solve the no-sleep problem.  i will update tomorrow if the problem remains.