No SRT subtitles via DLNA on Samsung ue48js9000 with my book live 4TB

Hi,

I just bought the new Samsung ue48js9000 uhd and cannot play SRT subtitles via DLNA / Network (tried cable and Wifi) with WD my book live 4TB. Embebed subtitles in MKV play ok. SRT subtitles play ok if connected via USB drive to OCB.

With other TV’s at home SRT subtitles play fine via DLNA / Network (Samsung F7000 and D6500).

FW Versions are (latest I can find by 30.JUL.2015):

Samsung JS900: 1214

WD My Cloud: v04.01.04-422

DLNA Media Server (Twonky): 7.2.9_7.5.0-43 

Tried to rebuid database and configurations on the twonky access port :9000 with different settings for the TV with no differente results (Generic Media Receiver, Samsung TV, …) - note that it defaults do “Samsung Smart TV” which I beleive to be ok.

Any help would be appreciated.

Best regards, 
Joao

The SRT file has to have the same name as the movie file. For example:

MovieXYZ.mkv

MovieXYZ.srt

Occasionaly the SRT files downloaded from varous online sites are not formatted properly. You may need to either check the SRT file to ensure it has the proper structure and formattign for SRT subtitles. Or download another SRT file from another subtitle site if you have obtained the SRT file from an online site.

Hi Bennor,
Thank you for your reply. The srt names are the same as the MP4 files and display well with other older Samsung sets (2013 f7000 and 2011 d6500) via dlna/network. Only doesn’t have subtitles with this new uhd TV js9000 via dlna/network.
I had a similar problem with an older wd my book live and the Samsung d6500. Only worked after wd made available a new media server that replaced twonky and after that srt subtitles were displayed in the d6500.
Any other thoughts would be appreciated.
Best regards,
J

The srt names are the same as the MP4 files and display well with other older Samsung sets (2013 f7000 and 2011 d6500) via dlna/network.

Using the same MyCloud/Twonky that is giving trouble with the new TV?

Would that not suggest the problem is with the new TV?

JMora wrote:
The srt names are the same as the MP4 files and display well with other older Samsung sets (2013 f7000 and 2011 d6500) via dlna/network. Only doesn’t have subtitles with this new uhd TV js9000 via dlna/network.

If the older Samsung sets (2013 f7000 and 2011 d6500) properly display SRT subtitle files via DLNA from the WD My Cloud, that would indicate a problem with your new Samsung JS9000 TV and its built in DLNA client software/application. If this is the case then you should contact Samsung to see if there is a firmware or app update for your TV.

Otherwise about the only other suggestion I have at the moment, if the SRT files display properly on other devices that access the WD My Cloud, is to check the Twonky Server settings on the WD My Cloud to see how the Twonky server is treating your TV in the “Media Receiver Type” field under Sharing → Media Receiver. If the value for “Media Receiver Type” is something other than “Samsung TV” or “Samsung Smart TV” then you may have to change the value and test to see if it fixes the issue. For more information on how to access the Twonky Server on the WD My Cloud see the following WD Support link: How to access the Twonky Media Server on a WD NAS

Hi

thank you for your answer. I tried to configure several profiles with no changes. It identifies correctly with Samsung smart tv. 

Right now what I do is copy several movies to usb drive with the srt when I want to see them and subtitles display (workaround)

i updated today to 1217 firmware on Samsung and no different results :frowning:

will keep hopping a new fw from Samsung or wd will fix this 

regards

j

Hi JMora. Please kindly let me know if there are any updates to this topic, I am facing the same issue with the same TV model and WD My Cloud, which has not been corrected by any subsequent firmware released by Samsung. I have been in touch with WD support, and they stated that the issue is not caused by their DLNA streaming server (Twonky), but by the DLNA client inside the TV. I do understand that Samsung implemented some new DLNA extensions in their DLNA client, but I was not able to get more information on the subject. The added frustration come from the fact that, as you mentioned, all my previous TV sets made by Samsung (e.g. 46ES7000/8000) are working flawlessly with WD My Cloud. Any new idea / information that you might have and want to share would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Hi,
Still no change with latest firmware from Samsung or WD. I also have an old MyBook Live with same problem so it should be the tv that has the problem. One solution is to incorporate the subtitles in mkv because it works. I didn’t find yet a simple batch conversion program.
Regards
J

No dia 24/02/2016, às 13:18, floman wdsupport@wdc.com escreveu:

ANy Changes???

you must install new twonky server, i had similar issue with J series, i upgrade to 8.3 now is working

WD firmaware 2

WD firmware 4
there some guide on this forum, i just google this