No backup target found using WD Backup

A long time later, 10/08/2020. I thought this was just what I needed. I went through all of the steps and I was able to Restore from my Passport 1TB. So, I then decided to try Backup. No Target. I redid all of the steps and was now able to Backup. So, then I tried to Restore again. No Target. I now say: I can’t stand this!! Goodbye Passport, Hello Segate. Not your fault. It almost worked.

My old Passport died so just got a new one…
I’m having the same issue. I’ve installed Discovery, WD Utilities and passport drive is found fine.
When I try to install WD Backup I get “No backup target found” I checked the COm3 variable and it is already set to “1”
I’m running out of ideas on how to fix this. I’ve logged a support ticket. I’ll see if I get any response.

So for those users who already have Com+ Enabled = 1, have you tried changing it to 0, rebooting and then changing it back to 1 again and rebooting? Then trying to install the software? Just a thought.

WD Backup was updated at some point after I originally posted. Since I had set my wife’s laptop back to 0, the update failed. However, repeating the steps worked for me and I was able to update the Backup software. I’m pretty sure I put her setting back to 0 after this last update. I haven’t checked since to see if it is currently 0 or 1.

Interestingly enough, my desktop running Windows 10 Pro 1903 and my laptop running Windows Home 1909 currently has Com+Enabled = 1 with all latest patches for Windows. I’ve never tried installing the WD Backup software either of them, but there does seem to be some “variability”.

Glad it worked for some, hopefully it will be addressed by WD someday.

To be honest, I’ve never tried restoring through the WD Backup software… I actually don’t know if I would have the same issue as you… lol… I very well might.

Restore is less of a concern for me, since I would likely just dig in and copy my stuff over… if you go down far enough in the folders, you’ll actually see your real data. So even without WD Restore, you should at least be able to save the data… but I agree, typically if you use for Backup you should be able to use Restore…

***** This post needs pinning to the top! *****

It’s taken 2 days to find this answer.
Using with brand new 4Tb Passport drive - WD Backup installed and worked perfectly on my Win10 HP laptop but refused to fully install on my partners slightly newer version of the same HP laptop failing at not being able to find the backup drive despite just loading the program from it!
Turned out to need COM+ enabling in the registry - now fully working - yay!
Fiddling with the registry really isn’t something to recommend to novices - WD need to fix this undefined parameter as part of their installer.
Thanks for the solution

glad it worked for you @m4m5driver but it seems not everyone has been successful… :man_shrugging:

Are there any news regarding this embarrassing little problem? New PC, Windows 10 fresh, the COM+ enabled as instructed, and still cannot find any targets. The automated backup feature was one of the reasons I bought the external drive. :pensive:

A new WD Backup version that officially fixes the problem in the works?

I have exactly the same problem-No Back Up Targets/Devices found. Since the last posting on this matter is there any easy/safe solution ?

WD Support advise you to download Acronis True Image For Western Digital. I have done this and successfully backed up .

Thanks to the post.
I was searching for the answer from last five three days, as I lost all my documents related to my most important writing service agency, and now I need the answer of recovering the data as soon as possible.

Thanks for that. Just got my My Book and couldn’t figure out why I can run diagnostics on it but backup can’t find the drive. Support also told me to download that software but it didn’t make sense that the software it came with won’t work, so I was hesitant. But after reading your comment I will proceed.