No access to cloud services since firmware update 5.25.132

Hi all.

I let my WD My Cloud auto update to 5.25.132 overnight on 19/12/22. Everything was working fine before hand.

On 20/12/22, I noticed that my iPhone pictures were no longer being auto backed up to my drive. Within the iOS app, it says my device is offline.

Using a PC to navigate to the devices management page, it says that I have been signed out of Cloud Access and prompts me to sign back in. But clicking the Sign In button just brings up an error screen.

For context, 192.168.1.149 is the static IP address I have assigned to my drive.

Local access to the drive is still working perfectly from my PC’s, and I can navigate to it using VLC and Plex on my iPhone to play media.

Any help you can offer is greatly appreaciated.

Thank you

What troubleshooting steps have you tried? Have you rebooted the My Cloud? Have you checked if the My Cloud Dashboard indicates an Internet Connection? Have you tried disabling Cloud Access, waiting a few minutes, then reenabling Cloud Access?

Hi.

Have you rebooted the My Cloud? Yes, several times

Have you checked if the My Cloud Dashboard indicates an Internet Connection? I’m not sure exactly which screen to check for this, but if I try and check for a firmware update, I get a message saying the drive can not connect to the internet.

Have you tried disabling Cloud Access, waiting a few minutes, then reenabling Cloud Access? No, but I have just tried this. I have disabled cloud access, and then I click the sign in button, and it takes me to the same error screen.

Thank you

Manged to figure it out myself. Somehow in the firmware update, the Gateway IP Address had gotten mixed up. Changed this back to my routers IP address, clicked the sign in button again, and success.

Thank you

huh. . .ninja’d.
Glad you fixed it.

The “connection status: Failed” told me the device isn’t connected to the internet.
The “gateway address” being goofed up would do this.

Now, since you toggled “Cloud service” on and off - - → I suspect the device is thrashing doing the indexing process.

BTW: I “like to think” I avoid lots of problems by letting the NAS use DHCP - - → and assign a fixed address from the router. :slight_smile:

(This way; if something else happens in your network. . . the end result is you will still have access to the NAS.)

A suggestion to avoid this happening in the future. If you have set a static IP address within the My Cloud Dashboard > Settings > Network > Network Services section, consider changing it back to DHCP and instead reserve a static IP address for the My Cloud within the network router/gateway’s DHCP server.

Thanks.

I would use DHCP, but I have 2 My Cloud devices, and having the static IP’s makes it easier for me to navigate between them. I’m sure it will be equally as easy the other way, but this is what I am used to.

Apart from the above, I have never had any issues this way.

Thanks again

It would still be the same static IP, just being configured and set in router rather than in each My Cloud. Most cases it is actually easier to set at the router since you are only making the change in one central place rather than on each individual My Cloud or each network client.

This firmware update was a disaster 
 it disabled my FTP/NFS access, enabled Cloud Access (which I’ve never used), and I still only have read access on some of my shares even after enabling NFS/FTP access

1 Like

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info.
I have the same issue since the update. It’s functional as an external harddrive.
I can access via finder (Mac user) when connected directly to my Mac, but my
cloud access is ‘disabled’.

I’m by no means an IT guy, and would appreciate some help.

It’s already on DHCP

Thanks in advance!

The following WD Knowledge Base Articles explain how to enable Cloud Access in OS 5.

WD Cloud OS 5: Add Users and Enable Cloud Access
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detailweb/a_id/30188

Adding Users and Enable Cloud Access on My Cloud OS 5
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detailweb/a_id/29448

Hi Bennor,

Thanks for the info. I have previously tried all WD support links and nothing works to ‘enable’
cloud access. After my post yesterday, everything worked fine, however, I didn’t action
anything. I have the exact same problem as Jaymorgan in that the pop-up window
to sign in doesn’t work.

Hi Sam.

Your IP address is a bit odd in its format, and your DNS settings are blank. This could be a non issue if you have configured the device this way, but it could be the cause of your problem if not. Do you know the IP address of your router? If you have an iPhone, connect to the same wifi network, and the in settings, go to wifi, and hit the “i” next to your network name and post a screenshot showing the IP addresses. Example below.

How my WD network screen looks for comparison.

Hi Jay,

I’ve attached my screenshots.
Btw, I have tried all the WD troubleshooting suggestions prior to joining this forum.

I did the OS5 update last year and all was fine, until this last update.
My NAS was ethernet connected to a switch at my TV stand. I had a solid red led until
I tried multiple fixes, I’m not sure how I got it back to solid blue (which it remains for now).
Side note: My apple TV worked fine even with the solid red at the time.
Ethernet led’s at the back are green. Tried the 4s and 40s resets, different cables etc.

At the mo It’s connected directly to my desktop Mac (Mac is connected via Wifi to my service provider router) and I have access via wdmycloud.local.
All ops normal via my Mac finder access.

Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 11.22.35 AM

This is where I’m stuck 

Sign-in

Hi.

If you have it connected directly to your computer via Ethernet, that would explain the funky IP address.

You could try setting a static IP for the NAS and then plugging it back into your switch.

But befor then, have you tried using different ports on the switch, or a different switch? Could be a bad Ethernet port causing the issue.

Let me know if you want help setting a static IP.

That is the reason why your My Cloud is indicating it doesn’t have an internet connection. If you have it directly connected to your Mac using an Ethernet cable then the My Cloud will not have access to the internet unless you have bridged your Mac’s network ports (Ethernet and WiFi) together. Connect the My Cloud directly to the local network’s router/gateway and see if the My Cloud regains internet connection and obtains a proper IP address.

Hi - I have a similar issue after the firmware upgrade. Initially the device would just hang while making simple uploads, but since yesterday it is completely unresponsive. I can see it is assigned an IP address and is online in my Google Home as well as My cloud page.

Also, I am unable to access the setting page by entering the IP address in the address bar. I have resetted the device and network multiple times, but with no luck!

Any suggestions how I can get it working?

Hi Bennor,

I have been trying to get it to work all this time by moving the NAS between my desktop and my switch (which I figured is the same as connecting to my router).

I followed your advice and connected directly to my router, it went solid blue and I was able to login to dashboard only for a few seconds before the problem recurred (cloud access disabled).
For the next 5-6 hours I rinsed and repeated, i.e hard/soft reset, unplugged/restarted, changed ethernet cables, changed ports 
 until it finally worked.

It’s been working fine for the past 6 days, let’s see how it goes.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated!

So 
 scratch that. It’s bombed out again, the same as before.