NFS Shares configuration for Linux

Hello All,

I’ve browsed through the many many threads and cannot find anything that would show me how to setup NFS both on the EX4 and on the Linux servers.

In short, I bought the EX4 so that i can centralized my database backups, SVN, VM templates, ISO images. I have no problem setting the NFS options on WD web UI. But on the Linux servers I always get permission issues.

[root@intm-dev-01 ~]# mount -t nfs 192.168.2.3:/backup /mnt/nfs/backup
mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting 192.168.2.3:/backup

My current firmware is 1.02.40 and I’ve read that updating the firmware woudl remove the option of NFS. I’m not oposed to this, as long as the performance is not degraded to the point of unsuability. This NAS did not come cheap and was adviertised as a small business solution.

Anyways, can anyone direct me to thread or a link on how to setup proper sharing to my Linux servers to my EX4. Furthermore, I would need these same shares avaible from my windows workstation.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

JS

I’m not sure if you have to have them mounted using NFS. If not, and you’re willing to use CIFS to mount your shares, here’s a recent thread for EX2, not EX4, but their firmwares are very close and so I expect it to work in EX4 as well → http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud-EX2/Mounting-MyCloud-EX2-on-a-Linux-desktop-using-Samba/m-p/864001

Windows automatically uses CIFS, which is already running on EX4, so all you need to do from Windows is just connect from Windows Explorer’s address bar using \<EX4’s IP><share_name> or map a drive to that address. Make sure the username on the Windows matches an username set up on EX4 with read or read-write privs, to be able to access from Windows.

If this post helps you, or at least points you in the right direction, please click the star under my username on the left to give me a kudo.