Next firmware release?

Did WD take the summer off or do they think the last firmware release is so awesome that they don’t need to release another firmware update? I mean come on, the last release was on 5/117/11.

Do they think they pulled some Jedi mind tricks by including games on the last release and we wouldn’t notice? I’m so into the games.:neutral_face:

Come on WD, the Boxee is looking better each day. (Apps and a web brower) imagine that.:smiley:

And also usb hub support and better yet BDJ menu navigation support. *Dreams/Creams*

Mediamaster wrote:

Did WD take the summer off or do they think the last firmware release is so awesome that they don’t need to release another firmware update? I mean come on, the last release was on 5/117/11.

Do they think they pulled some Jedi mind tricks by including games on the last release and we wouldn’t notice? I’m so into the games.:neutral_face:

Come on WD, the Boxee is looking better each day. (Apps and a web brower) imagine that.:smiley:

I disagree with you on several points…

WD like any other company needs time to test firmware updates as much as possible to minimize problems!

Last firmware update is about 2 month ago, come on please tell me which companies that do updates every second month?

Comparing the WD Hub to the Boxee isn’t fair, they are two different products from 2 different companies, and by the way I have a friend that owns the Boxee, it also has it shares of problems!

I (and my friend) think that the quality of apps on the WD is much better than those on the Boxee - A web browser would be nice, but the hub might not have the hardware capacity to execute it properly!

I agree with you on the games, I don’t like them either, but perhaps others do - They are an extra feature, don’t like it? Don’t use it, that’s what I do!

Even WD employees needs a summer break, just like the rest of the world :wink:

a summer break? are they in school? no its a job… anyone that has a “job” works through the summer. sure you earn vacation and entitled to take it during the summer. but no company out there lets an entire department go on vacation at the same time. they lose money that way. need to keep production rolling.

Also 1 company that pumps out updates on avaerage so far once/2 months is BlackBerry with the PlayBook. About 5 days ago they released a new OS update and a new bridge app. Some people complained about the compatibility and what did they do, removed the OS update only to release a fixed version 2 days later. Thats how an operation should run.

Yes i know, again diffferent companies and completely different products but same scenario.

They really need to stop implimenting “new features” [that noone even requested… on these forums anyways] and add the features and FIX THE BUGS that are requested and well known across their OWN forums.

1 Like

drizzt09 wrote:

Also 1 company that pumps out updates on avaerage so far once/2 months is BlackBerry

Actually, BlackBerry isn’t the company name, it’s the brand name.  :wink:

The company is Research In Motion, (or RIM, if you prefer)… and they’re just down the road.

Yes I know the company is RIM, I live in Waterloo [home of RIM] however 90% of the world dont know the company name or realize that RIM is the company that makes BlackBerry. BlackBerry is a more recognized name which is why I used it.

1 Like

“WD like any other company needs time to test firmware updates as much as possible to minimize problems!”

They haven’t minimized any problems…more features are broken compared to previous firmware releases. I see a lot of rollback workarounds more than anything else on this board. I work for a software company and we run scripts on our software to find bugs, it’s not perfect software by no means, but our client don’t have to rollback because of the latest release broke previous working features. 

“Last firmware update is about 2 month ago, come on please tell me which companies that do updates every second month?”

You’ve been registered here since 12/10 so you should know WD has been pumping out a firmware update per month.

“Comparing the WD Hub to the Boxee isn’t fair, they are two different products from 2 different companies, and by the way I have a friend that owns the Boxee, it also has it shares of problems!”

WD is fading into obsolete by letting the market pass them by. There are plenty great suggestions in the ideas section and I know some can’t be put into motion because of the limits of the hardware, but there are plenty of good ideas that get bypass by games.

" Don’t use it, that’s what I do!"

I should have the choice of not allowing the games to install. I don’t want to constantly have to skip over a main menu option to navigate where I want to go.

I have nothing but problems with Netflix since the last update, I rollback to the older version, then installed the 2.06.10 and I’m still having issues. I tired of the rollbacks, the unplugging, the reset to factory defaults, the workarounds, checking this board for solutions, spending more hours watching reboots than watching Netflix, checking to see if my fan is still spinning, etc.  

JUST GET US A STABLE RELEASE OF THE FIRMWARE!!!

1 Like

drizzt09 wrote:

a summer break? are they in school? no its a job… anyone that has a “job” works through the summer. sure you earn vacation and entitled to take it during the summer. but no company out there lets an entire department go on vacation at the same time. they lose money that way. need to keep production rolling.

English isn’t my native language, I meant that even WD staff needs vacation like the rest of us :smileyvery-happy:

If every employee gets 3 weeks vacation during the summer that will probably mean that some things gets a bit delayed, and probably also a firmware update - I wouldn’t be comfortable if they hired summer help to do the firmware update :smileyvery-happy:

■■■■, I would take the summer staff to see if they could get it right! :smileyvery-happy:

You know you’re a geek when…

…you can’t wait for the next firmware update! :smileyvery-happy:

This is true! :smiley:

Hope WD can at least get Netflix to stabilize on the next release so my power cord can take a rest. That thing has taken a beating in the last two months. :cry:

As previously noted, a Firmware Release will only become available after significant changes are made to the base code and enough testing has been carried for stability. This is the reason as to why there have been both narrow and wide time gaps between one update and the next; it depends on the changes that are made.

Regards,

(My apologies Frillen, for omitting your original comments.)

Thank you Mediamaster. My thoughts, too.

—"They haven’t minimized any problems…more features are broken compared to previous firmware releases. I see a lot of rollback workarounds more than anything else on this board. I work for a software company and we run scripts on our software to find bugs, it’s not perfect software by no means, but our client don’t have to rollback because of the latest release broke previous working features. "—

It seems to me that the newest release was not tested under real world conditions. Since 2.06.10, I’ve had to roll all the way back to the first release and slowly install each “update”. I have found 2.04.13 to be least buggy (not stable by any definition of the word), but the old Netflix interface isn’t so hot. 2.05.08 hangs up too much. (I have to perform a software restart frequently and turn it off when I’m away from it for more than a few minutes or I will need to power cycle the unit.) 2.06.10 won’t hold any of my network shares longer than 10 minutes, usually about 7 minutes and frequently goes into an endless reboot loop for no apparent reason. 2.06.10 did something I can’t seem to get rid of completely by rolling back, so I think I’ll stay with 2.04.13 for a long while. The Netflix interface is still better than Panasonic’s VieraCast on my Blu-Ray players. Talk about unwillingness to upgrade firmware. At least they (Panasonic) are honest about it. They tell you they won’t do anything to change it.

“WD is fading into obsolete by letting the market pass them by. There are plenty great suggestions in the ideas section and I know some can’t be put into motion because of the limits of the hardware, but there are plenty of good ideas that get bypass by games.”—

I sometimes wonder why WD has forums. It seems they don’t bother to put any credence in them. Not just the idea suggestions. But why not the fix bugs induced with so-called updates? I guess they are not considered "significant” enough for a new firmware release.

—“I should have the choice of not allowing the games to install. I don’t want to constantly have to skip over a main menu option to navigate where I want to go.”

I don’t want games. If I did, I’d buy a real game box. Along the same line, the only “service” I use is Netflix, why do I have to navigate through all the junk on the Services tab that I won’t use? At least let me place Netflix in the first position. (No, making it a favorite is not the same thing, thank you.)

—"I have nothing but problems with Netflix since the last update, I rollback to the older version, then installed the2.06.10 and I’m still having issues. I tired o f the rollbacks, the unplugging, the reset to factory defaults, the workarounds, checking this board for solutions, spending more hours watching reboots than watching Netflix, checking to see if my fan is still spinning, etc.

JUST GET US A STABLE RELEASE OF THE FIRMWARE!!!"

PLEASE!!

It appears that WD wants to be all things to all people instead of spending any time on the maintenance of their basic function. I bought this thing to watch movies stored on my local network. (Is it just coincidence the main menu defaults to Video?) Sounds like it’s a shame RIM isn’t in the home theater / media player business.

Mmmm I don’t think posts like this help to be honest. All I can see in this last post is this…

I don’t want to constantly have to skip over a main menu option to navigate where I want to go

At least let me place Netflix in the first position

Why is this such a hastle, why would we want a firmware to stop you using your thumb a couple of times ?

How about real important things like, I dunno…

The box not noticing new items till you smash it off and on with a hammer.

The menu looking like total ■■■■ as soon as you go away from the main screen for videos.

Not being able to show all your shares at the same time.

These are real issues, what you mention are little annoyances to you, its all about personal opinion I suppose, but if you did get it to watch videos, why not mention the things above, rather than trivial extra clicks and positions ?

As you say, it’s all about personal opinion. I have no issues with the items you mention. (I keep a dummy, therefore small, .iso file in several folders so I can copy it to the location of new files or folders - et voila! - new items are there. I don’t have a problem with the menus and I see all the shares I need.)

My biggest problems are with the fact that nobody’s issues seem to be addressed and I could have said exactly that, but I thought the forums were to express one’s own experience, thus what I did write.

Sorry if I offended you.

(btw, my dummy .iso is just a tiny text file I renamed)

You never offended me at all, so no worries there.

But a thread asking for a new firmware with comments about extra clicks for games seems really trivial, so even if I was WD, I think I would ignore it…

When people were complaining about games, and even you mentioned yourself, its we don’t want them, I also dont want Facebook etc, and I cant stream any movies in the services, so thats a total waste. But on that note I wont ask for UK video streaming, because that will never happen…

When I say new stuff, I mean if I add a file to a network share that is already filled with other files, it will not show up till I do a media rescan, whcih requires a restart of the box basically. Only way round that is for me to copy it to the internal HD, but anything over 2Gb takes a lifetime as Im sure you know.

You might try the dummy file. It has been working for me under the conditions you state. I can copy it between shares, between computers, from internal to external and vice versa. Every once-in-a-while, though, I do need to do a system restart from the menu. (Of course, this is for pre-2.06 firmware - I can’t use that one so never too the time to see if responds to the new copy.)

I will give it a go, but I cant see why it would work.

If I have a HD full of Mkv files at the root of a drive, then surely a new Mkv would show up, it does not, so I have to do a rescan ?

I don’t use .mkv’s but I don’t see why a dummy .mkv wouldn’t work. I created a text file (Wordpad, I think) that said something like “This is a dummy file”, then saved it to the internal drive as <<a.iso>>. Once it was recognized by the hub, I was able to copy it to any shared folder (even those that had not yet appeared in the menu system). I copy this file after I’ve finished backing up for the day, or if I want to start watching the new title.

I would copy it to any folder into which I put new files. I don’t know that it is necessary, but it only takes a few seconds for each copy.

As I copy, the hub goes into a scan and the new titles show up.

Then I go back and delete most of the newly copied <<a.iso>> files, leaving the original and maybe one or two copies. They are really tiny, so no disk space issue there.

Like I said though, every once-in-a-while, I need to to a restart from the system menu.

I hope this works for you, too.

EDIT:I failed to mention that I use the hubs file management feature for copy and deletion.

I agree with people say it’s better to have base functions fixed instead of new features and I understand WD that prefers to test new firmware before the stable release…But maybe a beta version of the new firmware would be great idea so we could help WD to test it! :smiley: