Release note for firmware v1.01.17

Version 1.01.17:

Resolved Issues:

• Improved the reliability of the WD TV Live firmware upgrade manager by incorporating a more robust method of upgrading firmware over the internet.

That’s it - future update will, hopefully, no longer brick units. And… that’s it…

Sigh …

So, it’s taken over a month (and 5 version jumps!?) just to troubleshoot and repackage 1.01.12.  :(

Not wanting to belittle their efforts or anything, to be honest it could be a really innovative and solid piece of coding, just that it doesn’t sound exciting and the only issue with updates was one firmware (ironically) designed to fix updates…

I get a mental image of there being just one guy at WD responsible for firmwares, and that he’s coding in a dank cellar, hating these products with all his heart.

1 Like

Many people were off for 2 weeks of the month that has passed.  Also would you not want WD to test this particular problem well?

I’m gonna be optimistic here with thinking they needed to get the updater fixed before sending out the real updates for fixes and new ideas.

But taking them 5 tries to get that right does not look to good.

WD must be a sweet company to work for if everyone gets 2 whole weeks off over Xmas!

But for sure they needed to get this update right.  It’s just frustrating that this update is almost worthless for me as my DSL is unreliable, so I have to do updates on USB anyway. 

Updated just so that if WD support ask what version I’m running, they can’t fob me off by saying to upgrade my firmware.

So far everything seems ok.   

-edit-

@Raster99

Good point.   If WD are looking to seriously ramp up their support and release regular updates and fixes, the Upgrade Manager needs to be solid.   I really want that to be the case but being pessimistic seems a safer route… at least I can be pleasantly surprised! :smiley:

I did not mean to say that WD employees get 2 weeks off.  I am just saying that many people take 2 weeks around Christmas.  At least outside of the US.  From what I’ve heard Americans get shafted with regards to vacation and holiday time.

Is there any benifit to upgrading seems to be the same blurp they said for v1.01.12 the one that bricked all those units. Are there any bug fixes?

PixelPower wrote:

So, it’s taken over a month (and 5 version jumps!?) just to troubleshoot and repackage 1.01.12.  :(

Not wanting to belittle their efforts or anything, to be honest it could be a really innovative and solid piece of coding, just that it doesn’t sound exciting and the only issue with updates was one firmware (ironically) designed to fix updates…

I get a mental image of there being just one guy at WD responsible for firmwares, and that he’s coding in a dank cellar, hating these products with all his heart.

It’s the simplest sounding features or fixes that can be the toughest to fix or implement.  Issues can elude a programmer or group as they tried to get to the root cause.  I’m sure that the firmware update feature was one of the earlier parts of the code that were written.  It takes time to get the flow of older code and then things become more clear.

It could be that that there were a few places to fix, but instead of potentially borking everything, the fixes were tested one at a time to ensure that nothing got worse.

I’d write off 2 -3 version to add some logging, more logging and clean-up.

That leaves 2-3 versions to actually fix the problems.

Seems more than reasonable to me, especially for a section like this.  You don’t want to just fix something and get it out.

As for the time it takes, it could also be due to thrid-party bugs in the source.  It may be a wait for the third party to turn around something, or the time it takes to really understand what is going on.

This is from personal experience in dealing with large projects with small to mid sized groups.

I’m glad the WD has a solution for this, and the fact that it wasn’t turned around very quickly shows to me that they most likely tested the updater so that it doesn’t cause so many casualties. :wink:

a firmware to improve firmware updates?  really?

1 Like

The patcher has to be bullet proof so we don’t run into accidents again. They probably wanted to be really really sure this time.

I would think it would be obvious that WD would firstly correct the only thing that is costing them real money, the bricking of units. They are paying out for postage etc for all these returned units. I am hopeful that if this firmware is a success we will see more, after all the only point of making the updating of these units more robust is to enable the unit to handle further updates.

Internet update bricked my device too. Putting the 1.01.17 firmware on the root of a usb device did not work when connected to rear port (port 2?) however when connected to the side or top port (port 1?) it booted and installed the 1.01.17 firmware ok.

Try both ports chaps if its bricked your device.

Does not inspire confidence in WD though!!!

Al.

EDIT: Sorry wrong thread. Moved.