New firmware?

For the love of god please update the firmware!

1 Like

To do what?

exactly, if you don’t like what the box does, make your own firmware

Techflaws wrote:

To do what?

fix the bugs maybe?

Yes all the bugs and issues it’s been months without a update.

Or, if you are tired by the bugs, drop the box, buy a chromecast and install Plex.

Hello to all,

Please remember that this a user to user Community and we are here to help each other. Let’s keep this professional. 

ERmorel wrote:

Hello to all,

Please remember that this a user to user Community and we are here to help each other. Let’s keep this professional. 

Thanks, and yes I’m sick of the issues but I won’t ditch it for another brand.I’m waiting for WD to get on it as they know the issues it has.

I wonder if there is any wd professional looking at the fw bugs …

I think it’s safe to say that WD knows about the issues that are officially listed on the issues page as “acknoledged”

but this is a user forum

so what we do not know

will there be another firmware update? and if yes, when?

what items are they working on ?

nobody here will be able to answer those 3 questions

it’s probably good to note as well. the issues forum doesn’t exist anymore

so I assume that means they are not looking at any new request/issues

KAD79 wrote:

Can you tell us how this helps?

1 Like

Crimson_Tide wrote:

KAD79 wrote:

Can you tell us how this helps?

well that is a bit tongue in cheek, so a more serious answer/explanation

go ahead and check the history, somebody asks this question about every 2 weeks or so

and the answer is always the same

this is a user forum

nobody here knows, when there will be new firmware, if there will be new firmware, or what is being worked on

so why do we need to repeat the same thing every few weeks, just because no reads the threads that already exist on the subject

as for the make your own firmware bit, most folks around here, know that I actually do make my own firmware

and while not practical for most users the option does exist

GPL code is openly available for download from WD’s website, and users can mod and create there own firmware whenever and however they want

as for me, ironically, I’m perfectly happy if there are no more firmware releases

KAD79 wrote:

as for me, ironically, I’m perfectly happy if there are no more firmware releases

Then you should be thrilled. 

This product’s successor is out to very dubious fanfare.  It is pretty sad when you google the new model number and google asks “DID YOU MEAN:” and it is returning results for the old one.

To the OP, expect nothing in terms of future firmware.  Based upon past WD releases you might be best served ignoring it anyway if one comes as each release tends to break things that worked before.

At best you will get a minor fix it release.  More likely there won’t be any future firmware, which is what the last poster expects, hence the “gotta defend my product regardless of facts, it is awesome"  comment…

Un huh.

Regardless of the fact that the majority STILL is satisfied with their WDTVs?

Un huh.

dcb917 wrote:

KAD79 wrote:

Then you should be thrilled. 

This product’s successor is out to very dubious fanfare.  It is pretty sad when you google the new model number and google asks “DID YOU MEAN:” and it is returning results for the old one.

To the OP, expect nothing in terms of future firmware.  Based upon past WD releases you might be best served ignoring it anyway if one comes as each release tends to break things that worked before.

At best you will get a minor fix it release.  More likely there won’t be any future firmware, which is what the last poster expects, hence the “gotta defend my product regardless of facts, it is awesome"  comment…

Un huh.

I actually do expect there’s likely one more firmware release, but do I know that for sure, no clue

do I care if there’s a new firmware release, nope

my own firmware builds already keep me busy enough

also I don’t think anybody considers that new device a replacement for the SMP

it’s the WD Play that was discontinued, and then they released that newer device

just because it resembles the SMP does not mean it’s intended to be the SMP’s replacement

KAD79 wrote:

I actually do expect there’s likely one more firmware release

You got that right.  Kind of wishing you hadn’t given the probelms with it.  A major step back.