Newbie here... couple of questions concerning uploading data from desktop computer

Just got the 2TB MyCloud, and have a couple of questions concerning the uploading of data.

1. When I first hooked up the drive (less than a week ago), it showed up with my other external drives in Windows Explorer, with a drive letter assigned, and it was identified as a network drive.  Now, it does not show up as a drive at all, and I can only access it as a network location.  is this normal?

2. Do I have to use the WD MyCloud Desktop App to add content, or can I use Windows Explorer to transfer the files?  The Desktop App is EXCRUCIATINGLY slow.  For instance, it will take 172 hours to upload 10GB of photos.  Really?  over 7 days? 

These may be extremely obvious questions to some, but I don’t wanna screw anything up.  Thanks in advance for any help.

WD Desktop App transfer files throught wd2go.com (Speed limited by this site and your internet connection + maybe used compression and encryption)

Use Windows shares instead (samba) or NFS.

Also you can use FTP. But its good only for big files.

You said, 2) Do I have to use the WD My Cloud Desktop App to add content, or can I use Windows Explorer to transfer the files? The Desktop App is EXCRUCIATINGLY slow. For instance, it will take 172 hours to upload 10GB of photos. Really? over 7 days?

Below is an example image of me dragging and dropping several photo files from my desktop computer to the My Cloud Desktop app. As you can see to upload about six GB of photos will only take a little over an hour. Actually it only took about 40 minutes.

Tell us more about how your My Cloud is setup. What kind of router do you have? What device are you uploading from?

For your first question if you want it to show up with a drive letter then Map your device.

MyCloudMap.JPG

Posted by,
cat0w (USA)

1 Like

Hey cat0w,

Thanks so much for the drive mapping tip.  Worked perfectly. 

Also, the drive mapping has apparently made a huge difference in the “Time Remaining” when adding jpgs.  The 172 hours remaining has now been reduced to 7.  That I can live with. 

2015-01-23 kgosfm31.jpg

Thank you again for your help.