Getting started

Hello There,

I have just bought my device and i have started to move my movies from my lap top.

For some reason it is taking about 1 hour to move about 5gb!!! Is there a quicker way of moving data from the laptop as I have a lot of content to move. Will compressing files work?

I have gotten this to allow me to stream all my content to the tv I have a samsung series 9 any coments

cheers Paul

bigpaulgla wrote:

Hello There,

I have just bought my device and i have started to move my movies from my lap top.  â€¦ Is there a quicker way of moving data from the laptop?

Maybe you should start by telling us how you’re moving them?

And no, compressing them won’t do anything as videos are already compressed.

1 Like
  1. Going into where they are stored on the laptop (downloads folder)
  2. Then copying the file and opening up the WD my cloud.
  3. Then pasting into the folder in WD my cloud.

I also have about 80GB of photos to move from another drive going by the data transfer rates this might take about a week to transfer!!!:cry:

How are you connected to your network from the laptop?

Wireless or wired?

What is the speed of the wireless (or wired) connection?

If you are pasting into a Windows Explorer open window, what does the speed display on the copy dialog show?

1 Like

doesnt show the speed as its the WD window open. It does say upload in the window so I guess its limited to my upload speed to the router.

Question then, can I just plug the wd wireless drive into the laptop via a usb plug for uploading?

It all being done wireless just now

bigpaulgla wrote:

doesnt show the speed as its the WD window open

Huh?  WD Window?

Please post a screenshot of what you’re talking about.   

bigpaulgla wrote:

can I just plug the wd wireless drive

wd _ wireless _ drive?  There’s no such thing.

If you have an EX4, it’s not wireless.   And no, you cannot connect it to your PC via USB.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

bigpaulgla wrote:

doesnt show the speed as its the WD window open

Huh?  WD Window?

Please post a screenshot of what you’re talking about.   > wd _ wireless _ drive?  There’s no such thing.

If you have an EX4, it’s not wireless.   And no, you cannot connect it to your PC via USB.

I have bought the MY CLOUD 3TB drive and I am looking for a way to upload onto the drive faster than using the wifi as it is taking a long time.  :stuck_out_tongue:

You are saying then that using a plug to connect the drive to my laptop can not be done?

bigpaulgla wrote:> I have bought the MY CLOUD 3TB drive

Wow.  You’re all over the place.

The forum in which you posted is for the WD My Cloud EX4 NAS:

You have the My Cloud NAS 3TB, the forum for that is here:   http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/bd-p/mycloud

Perhaps a moderator will move the thread to the correct place.

bigpaulgla wrote:> I am looking for a way to upload onto the drive faster than using the wifi as it is taking a long time. 

Then you need to answer the questions being asked.   

Yes, I am saying you cannot plug it directly into your PC.   That’s not what it’s made to do – it’s a network drive, not an external drive.

If you don’t want to use WiFi, then don’t.  Plug your PC directly into your network using an ethernet cable.

Thanks anyway for the help:neutral_face: