WD My Cloud uploading slower than it ever has

I have had this device about 8 months now and have never once had a problem with it. It is taking forever to upload a file. I have even tried different files. It is taking an average of 45 minutes compared to the usual average of 3 minutes or less. I re-started my laptop, re-started the cloud, checked all network connections. Any idea what the problem here is?

Hello and welcome to the WD community.

Try to do a reset on the unit see if this helps with the issue, also would like to know what type of connection you are using. Here is a link that might help with the reset process:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10432

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. It fixed itself the next day, I did not get on yet to see your comment until now. Not sure what the issue was but I will keep that in mind if it happens again.

And what would you know… as soon as I said that, it started doing it again. So, I did what you said, the reset, didn’t change anything at all. Worked normal yesterday and this morning. Literally started doing this again about an hour ago. 

Also, I am using a wifi connection. 

From speedtest.net, I have 15ms Ping, 23.87 mpbs download speed and 4.47 mbps upload speed. 

jbryan1984 wrote:

I have had this device about 8 months now and have never once had a problem with it. It is taking forever to upload a file. I have even tried different files. It is taking an average of 45 minutes compared to the usual average of 3 minutes or less. I re-started my laptop, re-started the cloud, checked all network connections. Any idea what the problem here is?

Are you transferring files across your local network (LAN)? Or are you connected remotely (offsite) trying to transfer files?

You also don’t mention the size of the file being transferred either. Or if your trying to transfer a file to a USB drive attached to the WD My Cloud.

If on the local network, try connecting direct to the same router the WD My Cloud is connected to and see if there is still a speed issue.

If connected remotely (offsite) then your speed will depend on the remote site’s upload/download speed in addition to the broadband upload/download speed of the WD My Cloud internet connection.

I am at home on my home network. I was not even aware I could upload stuff to it remotely. So try it wired to my modem/router combo? 

It improves the speed a tad bit but not by much. I am using normal size mp4 files, anywhere from 700 MB to 1 GB. Just mp4 files I have downloaded. Even if I leave it plugged in to the modem, that is clearly not the issue because for 8 months it has uploaded fine on wireless. Like I said, this all started Friday evening. Worked fine all day Saturday and Sunday morning. Sunday afternoon it started this again. Re-starting the cloud, my modem and computer don’t seem to change anything, at least not right away.

How are the files being copied to the WD My Cloud? Using Windows Explorer on Windows or a similar file manager program on the Macintosh? What is the speed of your WiFi or ethernet connection between the PC and the WD My Cloud?

By connecting directly to the router with an ethernet cable you can test to see if the slowness your experiencing is the same there or if that slowness is confined to the wifi connection.

There are any number of issues that can cause WiFi interference/congestion or otherwise slow down the connection speed. Depending on the WiFi speed, connecting via Ethernet wire may often be faster.

From speedtest.net, I have 15ms Ping, 23.87 mpbs download speed and 4.47 mbps upload speed. 

I don’t know how to check the speed from Wifi to Cloud. How do I do that?

And I don’t even have IE, I use Chrome but all I do is drag a file from a downloaded folder into mycloud program on my desktop.

jbryan1984 wrote:

I don’t know how to check the speed from Wifi to Cloud. How do I do that?

And I don’t even have IE, I use Chrome but all I do is drag a file from a downloaded folder into mycloud program on my desktop.

Speedtest.com doesn’t test your local network speed or your local WiFi speed. Generally checks your broadband internet speed. When copying files to your WD My Cloud on your local network you do not involve sending those files through the internet.

Are you using a Windows PC or a Macintosh computer?

Windows Explorer is NOT a web browser. It is a file management program that allows one to view, copy, move, delete files on their local computer in addition to any attached storage devices and other devices, like the WD My Cloud, located on the local network. On the Macintosh one uses the Finder for file management.

For a general primer on how to use Windows Explorer see the following video link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxbT1KAlHrg

See the following link for the WD My Cloud How To page for a variety of general How To instructions.

http://setup.wd2go.com/index.php?mod=howTo&device=mc

If you have WD Quick View installed on the computer you can use it to access the WD My Cloud shares. When you use the WD Quick View to open the device’s Public share Windows Explore (on a Windows PC) will open to show the shared folder. On the Mac, Finder will open to show the shared folder.

If you have not already done so I would suggest taking the time to read the WD My Cloud User Manual. It gives a general explanation on how to access the WD My Cloud on your local network, how to “map” a shared folder on the local network, how to access the WD My Cloud remotely (offsite), and other features and items related to the WD My Cloud.

Speedtest measures your broadband, exteral link rate; it has nothing to do with your local network (unless you’re running speedtest on a machine accessing via WiFi. Or a piece of wet string…)

Windows Explorer in the file manager on windows. It has nothing to do with internet explorer.

Have you read the user manual? In particular, the section about mapping your drive into your computer’s file system? Have you done this, or are you using the WD Desktop app to access your device? This is what Bennor was asking.

[edit: Bennor beat me to it…]

OK. I am a little lost on it. Sorry about confusing IE with Windows Explorer. I reads the manuel when I first got it. That is how I figured out how to map my clodu to the drive, yes it is mapped as drive z. So this has nothing to do with internet, this is something on my computer? I figured wifi would be involved since I am sending the files to the cloud without a wired connection?  I have my UTorrent program open but I have always had it open and never had any issues uploading files to the Cloud. 

jbryan1984 wrote:

I have my UTorrent program open but I have always had it open and never had any issues uploading files to the Cloud. 

Disable (shut down) Utorrent and see if the speed of copying improves. Keep in mind that with uTorrent active any files in the folders uTorrent monitors may be being seeded to OTHER users That means your WiFi bandwith may be being used while your trying to copy to or from the WD My Cloud. The other factor is if you have uTorrent monitoring a folder (or two) on the WD My Cloud. It will be using a portion of the WiFi speed for seeding files to/from the WD My Cloud while your trying to copy content to or from the WD My Cloud.

Typically one doesn’t get the full rated advertised WiFi speed anyhow, for any number of reasons including interference and other users on the WiFi connection. That’s why I suggested connecting the computer to the router via an ethernet wire to see if you can determin if the bottle neck is with the WiFi or is occurring on the LAN side as well.

If your still using the “Wireless 54g” WiFi band try upgrading to “Wireless N” or “Wireless AC” bands. The latter two wireless bands are generally offer much faster WiFi speeds. Often the wireless routers provided by broadband providers are not very good when it comes to supporting the latest Wireless bands like N or AC. You may have to request your broadband provider upgrade your router or buy a new router yourself to run behind the your broadband providers router.

U-Torrent seems to be the problem. Went back to normal when I shut it down. I guess they cant run together.