New Release - WD TV Play Firmware Release 1.05.47 (3/25/2013)

I read the user manual before purchasing the WD TV Play and on page 143 it says it should support the ISO container which it doesn’t.  I have 2 WD TV Live plus and 2 WD TV Live (latest model) and now the WD TV Play, and I am extremely disappointed that a format you have supported since the first WD TV Media player (which I also owned) is no longer supported in the play, even the wd tv mini would play iso (I also owned the mini at one time).  Can a format used for so many years be included in the next firmware release?  I understand this is a lower quality player, and that is fine that it doesn’t support the high end audio formats, but let’s be able to play iso files.

Ace75 wrote:

on page 143 it says it should support the ISO container which it doesn’t.  

Well, in the English manual, I see no reference to ISO on page 143, but I do see it on page 145, where it says ISO (AVCHD).   So, Yes, it does … but not DVD ISOs.   Since DVDs are MPEG2 based, and the Play doesn’t support MPEG2, it’s not going to play them.   

However, it does support BD ISOs containing M2TS containers that themselves contain AVC codec (AVCHD).

I assume you’re looking at another language manual.  If it doesn’t specify AVCHD ISO only, then that’s a glaring omission and you have every right to be frustrated.

Ace75 wrote:

I am extremely disappointed that a format you have supported since the first WD TV Media player…

The first WD Media Player was the WDTV HD, which did not support DVD navigation either, nor did the WDTV Mini (which was WD’s third media player.)  

The first product to include full DVD support at launch was the WDTV Live Plus (and the feature was back-ported to the WDTV Live HD at the same time.)

I am not referring to DVD navigation, just the iso container of MPEG2, which has been supported by all previous generations.  Which is still disappointing that the iso container of the MPEG2 format which has been supported from the beginning suddenly isn’t supported.  I have checked the PDFs for both the mini and the WDTV HD and both say iso container for MPEG2.

Anyway

mpeg2 is not supported in iso or any other container

Ace75 wrote:

I am not referring to DVD navigation, just the iso container of MPEG2, which has been supported by all previous generations.  Which is still disappointing that the iso container of the MPEG2 format which has been supported from the beginning suddenly isn’t supported.  I have checked the PDFs for both the mini and the WDTV HD and both say iso container for MPEG2.

This is an important distinction, so I’m going to stress it:

ISO *is* supported.   It’s MPEG2 that’s not; a fact that’s clearly noted on the WD website:

Like a week ago I noticed my TC play wasnt recognizing my DLNA servers anymore. I think this update caused the issue (see also http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Play-Discussions/Unable-to-recognize-other-network-devices/m-p/608537#M1007)

Is there any way to revert to the old firmware?

Hi Bill can you please help me my wd tv play doesnt play my videos which are MP4 (Codec: H.264, AAC) format and are 20mb/per sec why dont they play it should

NAZert2001 wrote:

Hi Bill can you please help me my wd tv play doesnt play my videos which are MP4 (Codec: H.264, AAC) format and are 20mb/per sec why dont they play it should

The mp4 it’s support only to FORMAT/Profile 4.1…

*EXAMPLE*

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High@L3.1

This is best solution… this is a MEDIAINFO of file perfectly reproduced from all stand alone…

I would like to know whether a new software update is expected, because, unfortunately, does not address the kézsülék Gen 3 HDD (SATA3)?

Around 2064

I am glad very much for the joke,but exterior
married HDD does not handle it unfortunately the
apparatus

Very well said description of the poor quality of the WD TV Play.  

However, placing this all at the foot of the consumer is a bit unfair… well more than a bit unfair especially in light of the literature and marketing put out by WD about their device.  Here’s a good start:   http://www.wd.com/en/products/homeentertainment/mediaplayers/  all the features in a slick new box.

Where I am there is only a $20 disparity in price and all descriptions from local vendors and youtube do a pretty good job of suggting the Play is a superior device at a better price point.