New Release - Firmware Version 1.13.18 for WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (1/24/13)

For me it is working great.

Just updated to latest firmware, the problem with Netflix is still in this version and the last two before it.

When you bring the unit out of sleep and start up Netflix you get no sound if you play somthing unless you play a media file from a local source first, then go back into Netflix and everything will play as normal then.

Did a complete reset then updated.

So far its working fine with no issues to report and clearly a quicker response time from the ui.

I still hope that one day the function to adjust subtitles during playback will return. All other generations could do that with the arrow keys, without going to a sub-menu first. The keys have no other function during playback, why was that removed?

1 Like

Hauppage Live TV still not finding any channels for me using the recommended WinTV Nova-T USB tv stick.

Default Languages are also still wrong in the Happuage software.

Looks like the Win TV section hasnā€™t been touched at all, which for me is a major dissapointment. :frowning:

I downloaded and installed 1.13.18 last night.Ā  All high res videos have stopped working.Ā  New firmware does not recognize MKV files or H264.Ā  anything 720P or higher.Ā  I will have to roll this back to the previous version where everything worked fine.

Cigarette wrote:

I still hope that one day the function to adjust subtitles during playback will return. 

You have to go to a submenu but it is still during playback. Also, (1080p) MKVs work just fine for me.

I have a 4TB My Book external USB hard drive.Ā  The hard drive is not recognized by the new nor by the previous firmware.Ā  Does anybody else have the same problem?

Folks as with most firmwareā€™s its best to do a factory reset and then upgrade to avoid issues.

Where can I get a copy of the previous firmware? I only use mine for local files and none of them are working with this firmware. I would love to roll it back and have things work.

spoonman wrote:

Also, when fast forwarding/rewinding 32x it shows >> Xā€¦ instead of X32.

Not a big deal, but it should probably be corrected at some point.

Youā€™re probably using a theme that doesnā€™t have that text section defined wide enough to display ā€œX32.ā€

Youā€™ll need to use a different theme.

Did you perform a factory reset after the firmware update? Not just a device reset, a complete factory reset. After I did this I had no issues (yet) playing content strictly from my usb hardrive. Seems like everyones unit acts differently though.

How do you do a factory reset?

I dont have access to my player right now, but its under setup then system, scroll down the list and I think youā€™ll see device restart, and device reset. Should be device reset, then it asks to restore factory defaults and you select yes.

Factory reset did not work. All I can think of is to roll back to the previous firmware.

Anyone know where I can download a copy of the 1.12.14 firmware.

The only other thing I can think of is to delete the wdtv folder that get saved on your usb hardrive, and reset again.

I deleted everything off my hard drive except for the video files. Did the reset with the hard drive not plugged in and then plugged in the hard drive and it will play my XviD SD movies just fine but not my x264 formated 720p files. That was the main reason for me to purchase this thing.

MartianMonkey wrote:

Where can I get a copy of the previous firmware? I only use mine for local files and none of them are working with this firmware. I would love to roll it back and have things work.

When you say ā€œlocalā€ do you mean network or USB? I put the update on yesterday and have not had any problem playing files stored on my local network. I have not tried USB. What file formats are you having trouble with? I havenā€™t been paying particular attention to what Iā€™ve been playing but I know Iā€™ve played a few AVIs.

Player and 3TB My Book Essential are sill NOT getting along.Ā  I had opened a ticket for the issue a while ago and ended up calling WD support back to inform them that I narrowed down the error to the drive and not the video files on it.Ā  They replied that they would send to engineering for interrogation and possibly fix via firmware.Ā  Not the case yet.Ā  Reas onā€¦

Pairing of WDTV Live and a 3TB My Book Essential (WDBACW0030HBK-01) causes random system freezes and drive shutdowns (or ejections) while playing back ALL formats of MKV video files.

Originally, I suspected that the drive was causing me problems so I reformatted, ran scan-disk and then copied all files over and ran scan-disk on the files as well.Ā  Problem still occurred.Ā  HOWEVER, when I paired the legacy version 2TB My Book Essential (WD20000H1U-00) with the same WDTV player, all files play perfectly without error.Ā  I reinstalled 3TB version of desktop drive and data corruption occurs.

I have confirmed the problem still exists with firmware 1.13.18.

WD teamā€¦ is this fixable via firmware or notĀ ?Ā  I already bought the 3TB drive and now need a play to work with it.Ā  I would like a second player but need to confirm if WD will adequate.Ā  (side note: check the 3TB drive on a friends competitor unit and it played fine so this I suspect that this is a WDTV issue, not the drive).

PLEASE help as your player ā€œrocks!ā€.

martinmarty wrote:

MartianMonkey wrote:

When you say ā€œlocalā€ do you mean network or USB? I put the update on yesterday and have not had any problem playing files stored on my local network. I have not tried USB. What file formats are you having trouble with? I havenā€™t been paying particular attention to what Iā€™ve been playing but I know Iā€™ve played a few AVIs.

My avi files play fine. Its my files in .m4v format. I have them stored on an external hard drive. I have them formated for an appletv and they played just fine 3 days ago.