New Release - Firmware Version 1.05.18 for WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (12/20/11)

I have a total of five shares on three separate NAS boxes, and it’s still working fine…

Cheers.

Finally, tips for updating,  Reset to factory defaults first?

Anything else?

Steve W

As mentioned there is a limit of 20 on the number of SHARES. Previously I had one share (my NAS), which then had about 25 folders, and many more sub-folders. The new firmware will not allow me to add my NAS in total as a network share, so I have to add each folder as a separate share, hence hitting the 20 limit. Anyway, this has been possible  to work around by grouping folders, but I preferred the previous arrangement. No problems at all with sub-folders (e.g. films etc.)

One new problem with the firmware. My screensaver is set to random photo slideshow (using photos in my library), and was working fine prior to the upgrade. Now all I can get is the WD logo, despite the settings showing it set to photo screenshow. Same problem on all three WDTV’s.

Has anyone elso had this problem and found a way around it?

PaulT2 wrote:

One new problem with the firmware. My screensaver is set to random photo slideshow (using photos in my library), and was working fine prior to the upgrade. Now all I can get is the WD logo, despite the settings showing it set to photo screenshow. Same problem on all three WDTV’s.

As far as I know (knew?) Photo Slideshow only works with photos on a local USB disk.    That wasn’t the case?

Hi Tony, you are right that “folder photo slideshow” only seemed to work from local USB. But the other option “random photo slideshow” worked from your media share or library. Unfortunately now when you select this option you just get the WD logo.

I had to re-add my Network storage after the firmware update but went quickly and works great.

All my MPG movies are playing back now (previously broken by the 1.04 firmware update) but the ones with DTS Audio are just giving me static sound through my AMP.

COMEON WESTERN DIGITAL!!!

All I want is previous fully working functionality restored - not stupid new features, I will never ever in a million years use.  FIRST and foremost this is a media streamer - If it can’t stream the audio in the movies correctly it aint of no use!

Waited a month for this new firmware to be highly dissapointed. :frowning:

I hope this isn’t a trend as it looks like this will be my first and last western digital purchase. GRRRR

Oh and yes I took the extra precaution of doing a device reset BEFORE installing the new firmware.  Seems this new version can’t seem to keep my network share link - keeps asking me to add new content (can’t locate previous media share)

Steve W, my set up sounds the same as yours, with each movie in it’s own folder, and after the update all I had to do was re-add my shared folder (containing each movie’s individual folder) to the media library and I was up and running. I haven’t experienced any issues.

I bought one of these today.  WDBGXT0000NBKto be exact.

I expected it to work out of the box using a locally attached WD 3TB USB HDD. No wireless or remote NAS etc. Several hours later I have got it playing but stutters on some MKVs immediately, on others after a number of minutes. After some minutes it just freezes indefinitely and then restarts. Some of the MKVs have DTS, some 2 channel stereo.

2nd issue is that the Disk Manager doesn’t see the disk drive for a number of minutes so there is a long wait before being able to use it.

The files all work fine with Serviio media player at another house and all work fine played directly on a PC.

So I discovered this forum with many issues and tips. Even though it is brand new I followed the advice of a factory reset and re-applying the current firmware.

How to obtain the older firmware that may work ?  On the downloads page I only find the current release.

Should I get my money back and get a Popcorn Hour or other ?

Thanks for comments.

I have the same problem

1 Like

I have the same question… anyone know?  Thanks!

Strider_Nemesis wrote:

Techflaws, it would be nice if you could indicate the part where a device reset is recommended before upgrading your firmware in here:

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfwdtv_live_g3

At the link you provide, where is the device reset recommended after the update? It’s not. Still, people suggest doing this here on the forums. Back with the gen 1 someone suggested to be doing a reset before the update which made sense to me and which I have done ever since. So far I haven’t been plagued by any of the stranger errors people are reporting after an update, like missing settings. Of course this does not mean that a broken feature suddenly works for me.

However, it suggests that  the update process - while checking the MD5s of all files - does not include a reset prior to update. To correct tjkaz’s statement to the contrary was my motivation to post this. You won’t find any post where I’m defending WD’s firmware update policy. On the contrary, I’ve gone on the record criticizing the fact that apparently the marketing team is calling the shots. I’m still pretty **bleep** they cling to their outsorced translation team that messed up the German GUIs rather than using my revised edition for free.

PaulT2 wrote:

No. The original screensaver annoys the **bleep** out of me cause it’s moving so fast on the screen. Trying to replace it with a black screen image from a folder did not work for me.

I tried (after this update) my first Blu-Ray ISO file, but I only get strange things:

stopped after 5 minutes of play

after restart from 5 minutes it stopped at 19 minutes

after restart and jumping to 19 minutes will play the movie for a couple of seconds, but then the image is scrambled and the sound is gone.

I tried reset to default, I tried to play it from USB HDD, from Media Server, from network share, but all resulted in the same… not able to play the Blu-Ray ISO. I thought this device was able to play Blu-Ray ISO’s?!

Also I tried to jump to 20 or 50 minutes, and (I had programmed the remote control to go to services when pressing the 0) it jumped to the Services section?! **bleep**?!

Been away for a few days here so haven’t upgraded yet. Big question does the new firmware fix the issue with streaming video ts folders to the smp from a live hub yet?

Travixius wrote:

You obviously work for WD.

I’m a beta tester. So what?

Travixius wrote:

Irrespective of what you say this new bug with the audio being output at 7 channels is a whopper

Your point being?

Travixius wrote:

People will simply vote with their money and buy LG’s new Media player or Seagate, as I know one who already has!

I’m sure WD’ll manage.

I’ll answer my own question then. NO it doesn’t…absolutely unbelievable - I now realise reporting issues is a complete waste of time and what a complete  joke this product is. Development are more interested in adding stupid websites than making the product fit for purpose. I hope enough people take back their boxes to make these guys realise that they really should be listening to their customers.

@littlemalcolm

On this one I’ll back you up a 100%. The Live SMP is supposed to play movies flawlessly. Since the day I bought it it plays everything with stutter. I was hoping WD solved the stutter with a firmware upgrade but I get more sh*t websites and more problems with playing movies. My SMP is not connected to any network, I don’t have a surroundset and I use a external hdd. So how the **bleep** can’t it play movies flawlessly. I can’t bring it back to the store so I’m stuck with it. Otherwise I would return it and get myself a Mede8et med400x2 or med500x2.

littlemalcolm wrote:

I’ll answer my own question then. NO it doesn’t…absolutely unbelievable - I now realise reporting issues is a complete waste of time and what a complete  joke this product is. Development are more interested in adding stupid websites than making the product fit for purpose. I hope enough people take back their boxes to make these guys realise that they really should be listening to their customers.

The networking issue I spoke of in your issue report WAS corrected in this firmware, so I guess the issue has nothing to do with what I reported… because that was fixed.

I just put a VOB set on one of my Hubs, and I was able to stream it stutter free to my Live SMP…  

Sorry, I don’t know why you’re having specific problems…

Yeah, the 7.0 channel thing is a major drag.  I’ve been listening to internet radion on this thing, which sounded ok on the receiver’s matrix coding to 5.1, but now with the dumb WDTV sending 7.0 (with only 2 actually playing channels), the receiver won’t do its thing and all but the front channels are dead.   We need roolback instructions, WD!