New Release - Firmware Version 1.05.18 for WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (12/20/11)

I have updated the firmware and my network share was initially messed up, but was fixed by going into photos, videos etc. and re-setting the source. However the following problems now exist:

1. My media library needed re-building, and unlike the previous fimrware, this version will not add my NAS top folder, instead I have to add each sub-folder separately. You can only add  a maximum of 20 folders.

2. As mentioned by someone else, MP3’s played via network share are now output in 7 channel sound!

3. Mp3’s in my media library are listed, but will not play (error message - file format is not supported!)

I will try restoring factory defaults and see if this rectifies the problems

There’s a problem with some files with AAC audio. WDTV send a 7.1 channel signal to the receiver instead of a 2 channel one. The receiver interprets it as a multichannel input like the signal a bluray can send if it decodes itself the audio encoded and then send a 7.1 PCM signal to the HDMI input in the receiver. I tested on Denon AVR-791 and Onkyo TX-SR608 receivers.

MuinhosBHBrazil:

There’s a problem with some files with AAC audio. WDTV send a 7.1 channel signal to the receiver instead of a 2 channel one. The receiver interprets it as a multichannel input like the signal a bluray can send if it decodes itself the audio encoded and then send a 7.1 PCM signal to the HDMI input in the receiver. I tested on Denon AVR-791 and Onkyo TX-SR608 receivers.

same problem but with all audio/video divx/xvid/mkv, music mp3 flac ecc and all service radio, tested with Onkyo TX-SR608 and TX-NR609 …

sound output is very very ugly… no comment

After the update my 1080p mkv files seem awfully dark. These are the same files that were just fine before the update. All 720p mkv’s look ok. I SWEAR I did not change anything, only did the firmware update :slight_smile:

I wish I somehow could have known I should reset all settings to factory defaults BEFORE the update. Maybe next time.

I have tried restoring factory defaults. Still the same problems:

1. MP3 files will not play if the source is set to Media library sourced via NAS

2. MP3’s will play if the source is set to NAS (not media library), but the sound is converted to 7 channel

3. I cannot add my whole NAS to the media library. I can only add sub-folders.

None of these problems existed on the previous firmware.

Robanhood wrote:

I wish I somehow could have known I should reset all settings to factory defaults BEFORE the update. Maybe next time.

You don’t need to as that’s what the firmware update process does.  If done correctly, it wipes the existing memory locations, applies the new code, then does a CRC (or equivalent) to ensure the FW has been applied correctly.   And, if it was required by some special means by WD then they would (should) have stipulated that in the firmware update docs.

A lot of issues with this FW already and it just came out.

I am happy to report that the upgrade works well for me. I mainly use it for two purposes: watch Netflix movies and view photo via Network Share. Both work well for me.

castway wrote:
Horrible firmware all stereo sound output is converted in 7.0 multichannel mode, this mode is absolutely incorrect to use with a/v amplifier!!!
rollback to previous…
2 month for a bad firmware… from bad to worse

Same here.  I can’t believe stuff like this slips through all the testing.  Not to mention while breaking some things and  adding new (unrequested) services they continue to ignore bug reports and feature requests that would make this a much better device.  Very dissappointing…

cncb2 wrote:

Same here.  I can’t believe stuff like this slips through all the testing.  Not to mention while breaking some things and  adding new (unrequested) services they continue to ignore bug reports and feature requests that would make this a much better device.  Very dissappointing…

I’m always amazed when complaints like that surface…

“Adding unrequested services…” while they “ignore bug reports.”

Such parochialism… 

Many of the services they added WERE requested.  And quite a number of bugs that users reported were fixed.

“If they don’t fix MY issue, then they obviously fixed NOTHING.  All the other users can go to …”

From the release notes:

• Supports adding network share folders into “My Media Library” (Use options button).

– reported as any issue by MANY users in the forum.

• Supports “WD TV Remote” control application for iDevices (Download Application from iTunes).

Requested in the IDEAS lab several times:  

• Supports Vudu movie service (US only).

Requested in the IDEAS Lab several times.

• Supports Flixster video movie review and trailer service.

Requested TRAILER service in Ideas Lab.

• Resolved content playback issues with MPEG2 and MPEG4 BluRay ISO, M2TS and .TS.

• Resolved HDMI-CEC issues.

– Countless posts about these issues…

… and on and on.

But NO…  No one at WD is listening.

Ok, but look at all the issue reports that are still marked as “new” after being reported weeks ago and there is no indication that most of the requests/ideas have even been looked at.  And the main video content playback issue that they fixed was a “bug” that they introduced in the last firmware.  I know some services were requested but the time they spent on adding “ComedyTime”, “XOS”, “Yota”, etc. could  have fixed some of the many issues and requests on the list.

But I guess they addressed most of your issues/interests so they must be “listening” and how dare someone complain…

Not enhancing certain aspects is one thing, breaking things that used to wrok is another.

Updated thinking this would fix the avi playback issues.  Sill isnt working.  Iv updated and done a factory reset.  Has ANYONE EVER got a avi to play over samba or nfs on any of the firmware versions without it stuttering and losing sound?  Also 1080p mkv still stutter after about 5 min of playback.  720p play just fine.  Other than those two things everyhting seems to work ok.

How do you roll back to a previous version of the firmware for this new WD Live Streaming?  

I was able to do it for my older Live Plus device because there was a link to all the older firmwares. 

Is there a new link to all previous firmwares for Live Streaming?

AVI video/audio works fine for my setup. Both 1.04 and 1.05 versions are okay.

tjkaz wrote:

You don’t need to as that’s what the firmware update process does.

Says who? And how come I’m never affected by all the bugs people report when not having done a manual reset before updating?

retrobot wrote:

Has ANYONE EVER got a avi to play over samba or nfs on any of the firmware versions without it stuttering and losing sound?  Also 1080p mkv still stutter after about 5 min of playback.  720p play just fine.  Other than those two things everyhting seems to work ok.

I do. AVIs never lost sound or stuttered over Samba, sames goes for MKVs.

Techflaws, it would be nice if you could indicate the part where a device reset is recommended before upgrading your firmware in here:

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfwdtv_live_g3

While resetting a device before an upgrade may be common sense to some of us who have learned to be suspicious of rapidly developed firmware upgrades, most people know no better than to trust “officially” released software, even if it was developed as fast as these updates are.

Being a software developer myself and knowing about how many things can go wrong when you upgrade an existing version of your software, I still find a situation in which you need the customer to perform some sort of process BEFORE he upgrades his software inexcusable, especially if such process is not even recomended in the upgrading instructions. If such process is really required for stable operation, then the firmware installer should handle it, not the customer.

I can see the reason why you argue with or respond to some people who report nonissues, or can’t follow basic troubleshooting instructions before calling the product defective. However, if not even the manufacturer recomends their customers to do a certain process BEFORE doing a firmware upgrade, I find it hard to defend such company against complaining customers by telling them that they should have reset their device before doing the upgrade.

This is dodgy firmware. WD has done it again. 2 channel sources are output to receivers in 7 channels preventing  the use of pro-logic and Neo-6 decoding, in other words only your front L and R speakers fire with 5 other dead discreet channels.  Want a fix soon or the player is going back to the store.

1 Like

PaulT2 wrote:

I have updated the firmware and my network share was initially messed up, but was fixed by going into photos, videos etc. and re-setting the source. However the following problems now exist:

1. My media library needed re-building, and unlike the previous fimrware, this version will not add my NAS top folder, instead I have to add each sub-folder separately. You can only add  a maximum of 20 folders.

Big problem for me.  All of my films are in their own folder, and I have far more than 20 on each of my NASs, which means it’d be impossible to add them all.

Has anyone succesfully added this many?

Holding off updating until I know more.

Just to be specific - _ is there anyone with the new firmware who has managed to add to their media library a whole folder full of films, where each of the films are contained in their own sub-folder? _

Cheers.

Steve W

Pecker wrote:

Big problem for me.  All of my films are in their own folder, and I have far more than 20 on each of my NASs, which means it’d be impossible to add them all.

Steve W

Nononono…  It’s not FOLDERS, it’s SHARES.   A limit of 20 SHARES is more than enough for 99% of users.  :laughing:

Ah!  Thanks for the clarification.

So, the question remains, has anyone succesfully added all their films in this way on the new firmware?

Many thanks.

Steve W