New Release - Firmware Version 1.05.18 for WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (12/20/11)

WD is happy to announce our latest firmware update for the WD TV Live Streaming Media Player.

Please feel free to post your experiences and questions below.  However, if you experience any issues with this firmware, please report them in the WD TV Live Streaming Issue Reporting exchange.

Can you manually uprade from 1.03.10 straight to 1.05.18? Or do I have to 1.03.10 → 1.04.12 → 1.05.18?

Wow, nice release WD!  Seems you added my auto detection for daylight savings time and ability to add more than 1 shared folder per NAS for auto scanning in media manager.  Some very nice additions to the apps too!  Have to test some more of my media yet but so far .MKV and xvid that I have tried play great.

Still nothing on correctly sorting by tv episodes? IE something like during scrape pad the episode name with a leading zero if in the event it is a value => 9 when importing the data in the title field…

Have not tested them all, but the first file I tried still skips :frowning:

Awesome news! I’ve only used it a couple times on my ps3 but I like Vudu and am excited it’s being supported now. Way to go!

Ooh, and Flixter, too.

And I love the new set up for adding folders to NAS.

Updated to latest release using the auto-update feature and no issues.

Noticed a couple of things initially with minimal experimenting.

First, don’t see the local temperature in the upper right.  Was that removed?

Second, still have audio lag with issue I posted here, that I didn’t have with the Live + in the same installation.

Third, tried playing a video on the new ComedyTime service and the box rebooted.  Tried again with another video, also with ComedyTime and rebotted again.  I’m not a user of the “services” feature as previous attempts to use it always seemed buggy with the Live Plus, and this box isn’t proving much different.

Tried a factory reset but none of the above behavior changed.

All that with about 10 minutes of use; about 3 minute of actual usage, the balance dedicated to troubleshooting and waiting for the box to reboot, and reset all of my settings.

Hopefully the rest will go better.

Does Network Share still work after the upgrade? Two guys posted in the Discussion Forum saying their Network Share did not work anymore after the upgrade. This is an important feature to me.

Please let me know if your Network Share still works after the firmware upgrade. Thanks.

edit: found rollback instructions (firmware version is mislabeled, btw).  after performing rollback, the behavior persists.  it could be a different issue simply coinciding with the firmware update…

edit 2: issue was caused by a poorly encoded file which was making the wdtv stop recognizing any other file until restart.

vett93 wrote:

Does Network Share still work after the upgrade? Two guys posted in the Discussion Forum saying their Network Share did not work anymore after the upgrade. This is an important feature to me.

Please let me know if your Network Share still works after the firmware upgrade. Thanks.

I’m holding off for the momenbt for the same reason.

I see in the update notes:

“Supports adding network share folders into “My Media Library” (Use options button).”

And later:

_ After upgrading to the latest firmware, the Media Library entry for the NAS maybe lost. To add a share folder to the Media Library, press “Option” when highlighting a share folder and select the “Add to Media Library” button. Or, go to Setup/Systems/Media Library Manager for Network Share to add a specific share folder to the Media Library. _

Can someone tell us if and how that works.

How exactly do you 'Highlight a share folder"?  In_  Files _?  Not very clear, is it.  Is the process in _ Setup/Systems/Media Library Manager _ the same as now?

Cheers.

Steve W

vett93 wrote:

My Windows 7 network share works after the upgrade.  I did a factory reset after the upgrade, though I don’t know if that’s necessary.

Horrible firmware all stereo sound output is converted in 7.0 multichannel mode, this mode is absolutely incorrect to use with a/v amplifier!!!
rollback to previous…
2 month for a bad firmware… from bad to worse

To all you people having problems with the device after updating the firmware, here is what solved all my problems.

1. Update firmware

2. Reset all settings back to factory settings

3. Set up your device again with the settings you want, add folders, weather etc etc.

4. Restart the device

Now it should all be working.

Pecker wrote:

vett93 wrote:

I’m holding off for the momenbt for the same reason.

I see in the update notes:

“Supports adding network share folders into “My Media Library” (Use options button).”

And later:

_ After upgrading to the latest firmware, the Media Library entry for the NAS maybe lost. To add a share folder to the Media Library, press “Option” when highlighting a share folder and select the “Add to Media Library” button. Or, go to Setup/Systems/Media Library Manager for Network Share to add a specific share folder to the Media Library. _

Can someone tell us if and how that works.

How exactly do you 'Highlight a share folder"?  In_  Files _?  Not very clear, is it.  Is the process in _ Setup/Systems/Media Library Manager _ the same as now?

Cheers.

Steve W

Just go to Setup/Systems/Media Library Manager for Network Share to add a specific share folder to the Media Library.

Thanks for the update!

So far, so good.  Like any electronic device that has a firmware update, when having trouble afterwards you need to reset the settings and see if that fixes any issues.  In my case, I didn’t have to reset anything.  My wired NIC connection to my Win 7 share was still there and working fine.  My custom THEME was still loaded and looked fine. 

I did have to reset my Dashboard ‘shortcuts’ as they were reset to factory defaults.

A quick test of my AC3 and DTS MKV’s were fine.

Love the new Flixster app!  Thank you!

Agreed…   This was the first update I’ve done that actually should *require* a Factory Restore.   There’s so many internal changes to configuration that it’s pretty much necessary.

*all:   Note that Vudu 3D works with 3D TV’s, too.  :)

Updated last night 40mins into a movie the device reset and had to skip back to where i was in the movie started a movie today about 25mins same issue device just reset had to find where i was in the movie mappens a 3rd time i’ll be resetting the device.

Network Shares don’t work after this update. I have WDTV SMP 2011, a PC computer running Windows XP, and all the shares worked just fine with the previous firmware. I did the factory settings reset, disconnected the WDTV power cable, rebooted the router and PC, but still no go.

Online services work ok.

I see that shares are reorganized as “Windows shares” and “Linux shares”, not as “SMB” shares anymore. Does this require some changes on my PC?

Robanhood wrote:

Network Shares don’t work after this update. I have WDTV SMP 2011, a PC computer running Windows XP, and all the shares worked just fine with the previous firmware. I did the factory settings reset, disconnected the WDTV power cable, rebooted the router and PC, but still no go.

Online services work ok.

I see that shares are reorganized as “Windows shares” and “Linux shares”, not as “SMB” shares anymore. Does this require some changes on my PC?

Nope… They just changed the name …  All shares still working fine for me…  Win XP, Win 7, Linux SAMBA, NAS, etc… 

I’m gonna repeat this: a factory reset should be done BEFORE updating the device so that the player is in a defined state. Also, my SMB shares (Win7, MyBookLive) work just fine.