New Release - Firmware Version 1.05.18 for WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (12/20/11)

Is this “7.0 channel” bug on HDMI audio only? My audio is through the optical link and I don’t see this issue…

This is a pretty random group. Before I updated to this firmware, I had connected to my Windows 7 (64 bit) file shares and could access my (ripped) DVD collection. With the installation of this firmware, and a factory reset, now the WDC box hangs when looking for network shares. I don’t know if it’s the WDC box or my PC causing the issues, but the hang is intolerable. Plus… it used to work. It just sits there and hangs when I try to see the network shares in “Files” or “Videos” and select network shares. Yes, the device is online and has an IP address, I can see/play Netflix or YouTube videos just fine. I have tried with homegroup turned on and with it turned off.

Did you remember to set the LIVE to the PC’s workgroup?

I guess, i bricked my WD. I try rollback to 1.03 and the WD never comes back with “clean” boot. Only WD Logo appears for a sec. and then screen goes black.

Anyone any idea to get the WD alive (recovery firmware like for the WD TV Gen.1-2)?!

I’m a beta tester. So what?

Travixius wrote:

Irrespective of what you say this new bug with the audio being output at 7 channels is a whopper

Your point being?

Travixius wrote:

People will simply vote with their money and buy LG’s new Media player or Seagate, as I know one who already has!

I’m sure WD’ll manage

Gee is this how folks who work for Western Digital speak to people on posts!  You miss bugs and then belittle buyers on forums. Your arrogance is unbelievable…

1 Like

Travixius, I agree with your comment.

I contact WD and was advised to plug it into another wall socket to solve the stutter issue  . . .

I don’t expect to spend hours on forums and Google to get a consumer product to deliver its core function.

mikle01 said:

I guess, i bricked my WD. I try rollback to 1.03 and the WD never comes back with “clean” boot. Only WD Logo appears for a sec. and then screen goes black.

Are you sure you’re not having a display compatibility issue? Did you try using the reset button on bottom of the unit?

No display compatibility issus; try component connetion AND HDMI cable - no signal…

Never used reset option before. Try press the reset button while power on (pressing ~ 5 Sec) and reset after booting. No  signal. Seems, that  the WD crashes while flashing!?

set the live to the workgroup? Get with it WDC, I’m using a homegroup these days, not a workgroup. There’s no way on god’s earth I’m going to switch my server from a homegroup to a workgroup and futz with all the sharing and permissions settings (again). What’s annoying is that this WAS working before the firmware update, and now it doesn’t. I can see the W7’s MediaCenter shared streaming stuff just fine (and watch media center’s recorded TV shows). But I can’t see the shared folders and play my ripped DVD’s, which is incredibly annoying.

Off topic, but still wondering about this: why doesn’t the WDC box also function as a media extender for windows media center? Is MC just too outdated?

Still want to know how to get the shares to work.

zipwax wrote:

set the live to the workgroup? Get with it WDC, I’m using a homegroup these days, not a workgroup. There’s no way on god’s earth I’m going to switch my server from a homegroup to a workgroup… 

Then there’s no way you’re going to use any non-Microsoft WIn7-based media player.   HOMEGROUPS are a Microsoft proprietary technology.   Only Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 support it.

Same thing with Media Extenders…  Microsoft proprietary.

WORKGROUPS are based on the Microsoft CIFS standard, which is published.

The fact that you had it working before a firmware update is purely tangential…  Coincidence…  since Homegroups have NEVER been supported.

Travixius wrote:

Gee is this how folks who work for Western Digital speak to people on posts!  You miss bugs and then belittle buyers on forums. Your arrogance is unbelievable…

Folks? Is there anyone else besides me you are adressing with this? Besides, what I’m stating here is my own opinion and not WD’s, I can’t believe I have to use this disclaimer. I also don’t see anything arrogant in pointing out your flawed argumentation. You wrote:

Irrespective of what you say this new bug with the audio being output at 7 channels is a whopper

I never said it wasn’t, so what is your point? That I missed this bug? Guess what, I didn’t. My LIVE-S is connected to a CRT-TV and not to an amplifier so there’s no chance I ever could.

What’s belittling is that you brush me off as someone who just has to be working for WD (after explicitely stating I’m annoyed with their update policy no less) simply because I dared not to whine along with you about some bug you find annoying. Or was it because I did not consider your threat of people buying from the competition too credible given the one sample you provided?

If you’d bothered to read this forum prior to purchasing your player you might have realized that WD firmware updates are a little touch and go. Apparently this hasn’t stopped too many people from buying these products anyway so I’ll take any projections by some venting user with a grain of salt.

Tony - Well it’s exactly the same here…no change using my 200mbps homeplugs or wireless. 

Just to check - you played a dvd folder over a network share and it plays fine? Or do you mean individual vob files over media servers which always played without stuttering.

Again ISO’s and every other file type will play over network shares it’s just dvd folders with the problem. Can you tell me what you’re settings configuration is that enables you to play dvd folders.

thanks

How long does it take to perform an upgrade?

I loaded the 1.05.18 FW onto my USB drive and followed the upgrade instructions.  It has been over an hour and the WD TV Live icon has been staring at me all that time.  The USB drive blinks with a regular pattern, like 3 times a second, but that is it.

I do not want to take it out or power-cycle the device during an upgrade, but I am fast concluding that something is wrong.

Insight anyone?

Thanks,

Greg

Greg-T wrote:

How long does it take to perform an upgrade?

I loaded the 1.05.18 FW onto my USB drive and followed the upgrade instructions.  It has been over an hour and the WD TV Live icon has been staring at me all that time.  The USB drive blinks with a regular pattern, like 3 times a second, but that is it.

I do not want to take it out or power-cycle the device during an upgrade, but I am fast concluding that something is wrong.

Insight anyone?

Thanks,

Greg

Did you see the upgrade? I would bite the bullet and power off and on. If the firmware has not taken it should show a recovery screen. You may have to use another flash drive to continue. If you did not see the update then nothing has happened.

Going around with Google, I finally found a comment that lead me to believe that an upgrade should take 5-7 minutes.

So I pulled the plug on my hung upgrade and restarted the box.

Happily (for small definitions of ‘happy’) it came up with a message: "plug in a USB drive with firmware to recover your device.

I re-formatted the USB with FAT (instead of FAT32), based on another very old Google tip, and that seems to have worked.

I do not know if the final outcome was due to restarting or due to the different filesystem format on the USB.

Happy upgrades to all!

-Greg T.

Guys, may I remind you to please remain respectful and positive to one another. Each individual contribution is based on individual experiences which may or may not reflect a particular situation or expectation.

Thank you.

Regards,

A couple items from the upgrade

I have a Live Hub with 2 external hard drives.

I have them networked but the cover art and xml files are not pulling into the SMP. I noticed the newest firmware has a whole new time tracking bar during playback I"m wondering if the new firmware is causing this issue (I recently had another live hub and it pulled all the art correctly, it started turning on an off so I replaced it with this).

Also on the web UI i went to upload the Mojo theme and my cursor won’t clikc on the “browse” and “submit” buttons, anyone else have this problem.

Thanks

I don’t get DTS audio while streaming a m2ts off my server. It works fine under 1.03, but now I see, I can’t do a rollback to that. (1.04 has the same issue) So now I’m stuck not being able to listen to 80% of my movie collection. Does anyone else get DTS audio off a m2ts file? Any suggestions on what I can do? Thanks

So correct me if I’m wrong but:

Firmware 1.03.10 → audio & video worked just fine.

Firmware 1.04.12 → unable to play M2TS, MPG, MPEG and TS files. But extra websites most of us don’t even want.

Firmware 1.05.18 →  able to play M2TS, MPG, MPEG and TS files but depending on your setup no audio. And even more websites most of us don’t even want.

Seems to  me that firmware 1.03.10 works best. So why doesn’t WD allows rollback to 1.03.10? What is the problem they state on theire website. I guese is has to do with those websites. They probably get paid for these websites.

Zwaarpoot wrote:

So correct me if I’m wrong but:

Firmware 1.03.10 → audio & video worked just fine.

Firmware 1.04.12 → unable to play M2TS, MPG, MPEG and TS files. But extra websites most of us don’t even want.

Firmware 1.05.18 →  able to play M2TS, MPG, MPEG and TS files but depending on your setup no audio. And even more websites most of us don’t even want.

Seems to  me that firmware 1.03.10 works best. So why doesn’t WD allows rollback to 1.03.10? What is the problem they state on theire website. I guese is has to do with those websites. They probably get paid for these websites.

If you can find the firmware on the net then you can roll back to it. WD normally supply rollback firmware so I can’t see what money has to do with it. 

However you do it at your own risk.

Firmware version 1.03.10 is unavailable for roll back at the current time due to an issue discovered when rolling back to this firmware. WD recommends not rolling back to this firmware if you have already downloaded this file.