New Release - Firmware Version 1.05.04_B for WD TV Live Plus (5/17/11)

WD is happy to announce our latest firmware update for the WD TV Live Plus Media Player.  

Please post your experiences here in this thread.

Just got the ‘new’ firmware’ notification on my WDTV Live +.  However, after reading the WDTV Live release comments, I think I’m going to hold off.

Thanks for fixing the UI brightness issue… it was driving me nuts!

well so far so good here… playing files now i have had problems with in the past.

Anyone get a drive larger than 3TB to work with this firmware update?  I have the WD 3TB and it doesn’t recognize it. It’ll recognize my 2TB only.

Update went well and so far no issues playing my high bitrate mkvs from my NAS; ie., start, stop, ffw, rwd, chapters, etc all work as should.  Didn’t have any issues with this with the previous release.

However, I do see the issue posted in the “V” thread regarding the “left justified and intermittently showing” Options menu text.  Would love to hear the back room discussion at WD as to how that got screwed up AND not caught in testing.

facky2000 wrote:

Anyone get a drive larger than 3TB to work with this firmware update?  I have the WD 3TB and it doesn’t recognize it. It’ll recognize my 2TB only.

There was a post on another thread basically stating that the 3TB drive needs to be formatted a specific way (NTFS perhaps?) for this to work and it’s not a FW issue.  I don’t have the link handy, but you’ll find it if you search the Live & Live plus forum.

Very smooth update.  The UI definitely look better. 

Unfortunately, the stupid “Do you want to exit Netflix” box is still there, but at least it doesn’t say “undefined”.

Good job, WD

After reading the 1.05.04_V thread for the past week I was very hesitant to try this firmware, but now that I have installed it, I am glad that I did. This release works really well for me! :smileyvery-happy:

The brightness problem is gone.

My photos look good again.

Netflix interface sensitivity to arrow presses is fixed, and my learning remote now works properly with Netflix (with the previous firmware, one press on the arrow keys sometimes advanced by two positions instead of one, and my learning remote always advanced by two positions with one press).

All my files play properly.

Thanks a lot WD for this firmware release!

I should mention that I have been having hdmi power up problems for a long time (powers up at wrong resolution and color space, and does not remember video settings when manually set). I have not used this new firmware long enough to know if those problems still exist. I will report back on those issues later.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I do see the issue posted in the “V” thread regarding the left justified and intermittently showing Options menu text.  It is hard to understand how this obvious bug was not caught in testing. WD should have a software validation test procedure in place that not only tests the new changes, but also tests to make sure that the box works as it did before. This is just normal good software practice.

Anybody know any info on how to format a 3tb drive to work with this firmware? I’ve tried to search the forum but can’t find anything relating to 3tb drives and the new firmware, only old stuff not related. Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

After firmware updated over the wireless connection.  Thing went well until the Rebooting message came up.  Rebooting message stayed freeze forever.  I have to unplug the core and did a reset button. 

Now the box is working but the screen format all out of wack.  I set the video setting to normal format to match the tv, but video still come out skinny and tall with left right side black vertical bars. 

donhostp wrote:

Now the box is working but the screen format all out of wack.  I set the video setting to normal format to match the tv, but video still come out skinny and tall with left right side black vertical bars. 

It is ignoring the setting when it powers up… select “Widescreen” in the settings and then select “Normal” and it should stay in the right mode until you power off.

Or, you could roll-back the firmware.

Does the aspect ratio vertical stretching problem only affect 4:3 TVs? I do not see it on my 16:9 display.

Thank you for the quick answer.  Is there a way for it to remember the Normal setting after power off?  or maybe future firmware fix?

Scandy wrote:

Does the aspect ratio vertical stretching problem only affect 4:3 TVs? I do not see it on my 16:9 display.

As far as I can tell, it would “affect” everyone, but would only “show up” to 4:3 display users.

My Live seems to power on in “Widescreen” mode, even though it’s set to “Normal” in the settings – the setting seems to be being ignored, and the default value used instead.

Anyone who’s proper setting would be “Widescreen” would have no way of knowing whether it was booting up to their chosen setting of “Widescreen” or booting up to the box’s default setting of “Widescreen”. :wink:

donhostp wrote:

Thank you for the quick answer.  Is there a way for it to remember the Normal setting after power off?  or maybe future firmware fix?

That seems to be a confusing area… some folks (with a Live – we’ve been discussing it for a week) have said it stops happening if they completely reset the box, but the majority are reporting that it happens every time you turn the box on, even after doing all the device resets (unplug for extended time, paperclip reset, “Reset To Factory Defaults” in settings).

I’m assuming WD will try to locate the issue and fix it… but until then, the only options I can see are:

• leave the box on
  • set it to “Widescreen” and then back to “Normal” every time you power on
  • roll back to a previous firmware and then wait for a fix

Hopefully some more Live Plus users can try the resets and see if they have any better luck than the Live users are.

facky2000 wrote:

Try this.

Does this fix the issue where Netflix audio fails after watching something from a media server or file share?   I have wasted untold precious hours of my life restarting the box because of this bug!!

I do not have that issue at all. However, I can not say if this firmware “fixed” this issue, because I didn’t have it with the previous version either.

In this update note for now, a bug in the menu that goes to press Option when you seea movie in the subtitles and audio out to the side and not down as before, I liked it like before …

See you, from Salta, Argentina