New Release - Firmware Version 1.05.04_B for WD TV Live Plus (5/17/11)

Sorry if I confused anyone I accidently posted under  WDTV Live update.    when I actually have a live Plus.

Everything worked great for me.  I installed My Book 3TB   (NTFS file system)  2.25 TB of media files Music, audio, pictures, and video.    deepest directory is 4 levels down all worked great. 

Takes about 8 minutes to scan first time  goes back to normal on sussquent  boots.

Thanks

jlr

WD folks,

Well, I had to roll back to 1.04.31_B

BUG 1 - Subtitle (with ISO DVD)

1.05.04_B has a problem with subtitles.  Pressing the Option key (on the remote) for the WD menu to select Subtitle, the choices (1 English, 2…) are not displayed as you press Enter to scroll to select subtitle language.   The subtitles and the hidden choices work, you just have to guess what subtitle language is being selected (or is the choice turn subtitle off).  If you guess right, the right subtitle will display. 

Messing around with it for a bit, I notice the word “French” at the far left of the display and I did get the French subtitle.  I was not able to repeat that.

BUG 2 - Voice/Sound out of Sync

As I was messing around with subtitle, I notice a significant (2 seconds or so) delay between voice and picture.  I am not sure if it was due to my messing around with the menus however.

After rolling back, I re-watch the same segment.  The voice-picture were back in sync with 1.04.31_B.

Thanks for looking into these bugs.

Rick

I have same issue with. It also affects the zoom function as with the subtitles it disapears to the left of the screen.

Can this be fixed ?

The problem regarding the left justified and intermittently showing options menu text has been reported many times in many threads since the 1.05.04 release. I admit that it is a little annoying, but the options still work, you can cycle through the option choices by pressing the Enter key on the remote. You can’t see the choices on the display, but when you are selecting an audio channel, or selecting a subtitle, you can cycle through them and hear the different audio channels, and you can see the subtitles on the screen. It is still useable. Is this really that big of a problem? (I am sure this will be fixed in the next release).

Don’t get me wrong, it is hard to understand how this obvious bug was not caught in testing. WD should have a software validation test procedure in place that not only tests the new changes, but also tests to make sure that the box works as it did before. This is just normal good software practice… but all of the options still work. I would not roll back the firmware just because of this.

Rick-in-NJ wrote:

WD folks,

As I was messing around with subtitle, I notice a significant (2 seconds or so) delay between voice and picture.  I am not sure if it was due to my messing around with the menus however.

After rolling back, I re-watch the same segment.  The voice-picture were back in sync with 1.04.31_B.

I have not seen this problem being reported. Did you try resetting your WD after you upgraded, or power cycling? I think that this might have fixed the out of sync voice problem.

Scandy wrote:

Rick-in-NJ wrote:

WD folks,

I have not seen this problem being reported. Did you try resetting your WD after you upgraded, or power cycling? I think that this might have fixed the out of sync voice problem.

I did not do a full (hole) reset or reset to factory after upgrade.  I am uncertain if that was because I was fussing around with subtitle menu.

With subtitle menu in “guess mode”, I had to roll back so that voice/picture sync was not important to me anymore.

Scandy wrote:

Don’t get me wrong, it is hard to understand how this obvious bug was not caught in testing. WD should have a software validation test procedure in place that not only tests the new changes, but also tests to make sure that the box works as it did before. 

I was discussing this with RG and others and the consensus seems to be that WD ARE aware of the bugs but ignore them when there’s a big fix they want to include in a release ASAP (in this case, the 3TB fix).

The little niggly problems created in this release should be ironed out in an upcoming firmware.

My preference would be that WD hold off on releasing anything that breaks features that currently work fine, even if it means waiting another week or two.  

Most people aren’t affected by the 3TB issue, so all this release has done is re-enforce the perception that the Live has buggy, incomplete firmware.

PixelPower wrote:

My preference would be that WD hold off on releasing anything that breaks features that currently work fine, even if it means waiting another week or two.  

Most people aren’t affected by the 3TB issue, so all this release has done is re-enforce the perception that the Live has buggy, incomplete firmware.

I can understand WD putting new features ahead of bug fix.  Adding YouTube/Hulu/whatever increase the value and the market for the box.  Too bad it was not designed as a “load on first use” plug-in.  Eventually, the box will run out of resources.  A “load on first use” scheme will allow the box to be more stable since most users would have a smaller mix of modules stepping on each other.

That said,I would agree with holding off release till it doesn’t break anything else.  If it breaks something that used to work, it means likely the newly implemented stuff is not implemented correctly anyhow.  The only exception is if the release is fixing something very very urgent such as random erasure of attached disk content or opened the WD box as a conduit to hacking into your network (which I worry about quite a bit).

We each have our own “must fix”.  The subtitle is important to me since I don’t hear so well (getting old is not fun, but it beats the alternative).  To others, the 3TB is important.

So far, I like WD being rather responsive to the issues.  I consider WD better than most other manufacturers.  I would like to see a bug-fix list that works like the Ideas board.  Folks can vote on which one needs fixing first - that would truely put the customer in charge.  I know as with many other manufacturers, patching will stop eventually and WD would move on to their next product.  I like to see the WD box being a flexible and reasonable solid (bug-free) box.

I think WD’s between a rock and a hard place most of the time…

They’ve had people yelling for 6 months about the 3TB issue… if they noticed they “broke” the Video Information Panel when they were trying to fix the “No Subtitles” bug, then you either hold off (for who knows how much longer) on releasing the fixes you _ do _ have ready, and annoy half the user base, or you release it with known problems that are presumably deemed minor and not worth holding up fixes by the folks in charge, and annoy the other half of the user base.

Either way, WD can’t win. :wink:

And either WD stays silent, and looks silly for “not noticing” the smaller issues, or they come out and say “ya, we noticed we kinda botched that a bit… sorry” and look silly for releasing it anyways.

D*ned if you do and d*nded if you don’t.

1 Like

PixelPower wrote:

I was discussing this with RG and others and the consensus seems to be that WD ARE aware of the bugs but ignore them when there’s a big fix they want to include in a release ASAP (in this case, the 3TB fix).

If that is true, then I think it would be wise if WD handled this the same way that a lot of other manufacturers do…In the release notes, have a section titled “Known Issues” and briefly describe them. If WD had done this with this release, everyone would have known that they were aware of the problem. This would have avoided the perception that WD does not do any testing before releasing new firmware, and it would have cut down on the numerous posts that we are seeing in several different threads regarding this issue and the 4:3 stretching issue (both of which I consider to be minor).

Rick-in-NJ wrote:

With subtitle menu in “guess mode”, I had to roll back so that voice/picture sync was not important to me anymore.

I think that you made the correct decision. For you, it was more important to have those things working correctly, and there was nothing in the new firmware release that was of interest to you. I was just trying to point out that the out of sync voice problem has not been reported and may have just been a one-time glitch. :smiley:

Scandy wrote:
If that is true, then I think it would be wise if WD handled this the same way that a lot of other manufacturers do…In the release notes, have a section titled “Known Issues” and briefly describe them. If WD had done this with this release, everyone would have known that they were aware of the problem. This would have avoided the perception that WD does not do any testing before releasing new firmware, and it would have cut down on the numerous posts that we are seeing in several different threads regarding this issue and the 4:3 stretching issue (both of which I consider to be minor).

That logic is flawed for two reasons…

Anyone who turns on their box and sees the “new firmware” notification and accepts it, will never see the release notes to know what may stop working for them if they accept the update.  They’ll still come here to point out the “known issues” that they’re encountering.

Sure, someone could go check out the release notes online, before accepting it, but it isn’t mandatory.

And the second flaw is that I doubt there’d be a drastic decrease in the number of posts made by people who have visited the WD website and read the notes.  Known issues and other things addressed in the release notes already do get posted here as it is.  I doubt that more information in the release notes would have a noticeable impact on forum posts.

ADD:

Don’t forget, the Release Notes already include a link to the rollback instructions and suggest that the first thing you should do if there’s a problem after installing an update is to perform a reset and see if that solves the issue.  (Although the Notes for the Live are incorrectly pasted from the Hub, and say the reset button is on the bottom, and not on the side next to USB1 :dizzy_face:).

With the numbers of times people have asked how to rollback and/or been told to reset and their issue has gone away, it’s fairly clear that people aren’t reading the notes. :wink:

RoofingGuy, you might be right about that; sometimes I forget to stop thinking like a software engineer. I still think that having a Known Issues section is a good idea. Even if it does not cut down the number of posts, it will show that WD is in control of its software, does do testing before releasing new firmware, and we will be able to point out that WD is aware of those issues.

Right now, the release note (on the download page) just documents what has changed but not what is known to be a problem hence setting the expectation that it should be problem free.   While those who just click update on their remote may miss the “known issues” list, but a known issues list with the release note is still a good idea.  Reasonable people may take time to check the known issues before even trying to find a work-around. 

It should actually reduce the bug report.  I would not have reported the “Scroll” problem if it was in the “known issues” list.  As to it being reported on 1.05.04-V (or whatever-V) but I was using 1.05.04-B.  So, it is not a bad idea to alert WD that “both -V and -B has the problem.”  Rather like a problem with Civic LX may not may not apply to Civic EX, but may be it does, and Honda would need to know if it does.

2 Likes

Rick-in-NJ wrote:

Right now, the release note (on the download page) just documents what has changed but not what is known to be a problem hence setting the expectation that it should be problem free.

Well, even worse, if you scroll down, the Release Notes for previous versions have occasionally listed a known issue or two, so the general lack of them just reinforces the impression that there should be no “known issues” with a given release, for anyone who does actually look.

It seems clear that WD has started including major issues that affect playback for all users, but doesn’t include the minor ones that border on cosmetic (such as the perhaps the colour issue with the UI of the previous firmware and perhaps the Video Information Panel issue with this release).

Of course, by the looks of these forum pages, the “Known Issues” section could end up being quite the novel… better clear your schedule before you start reading. :wink:

I’m having the exact same problems as Rick-in-NJ after latest “upgrade”.   WD, please fix audio synch and subtitle problems in your latest WD Live Plus firmware.  The immediately previous firmware was fine the way it was (re: subtitles and audio). 

I finally have a bug after updating to the latest firmware. After navigating to a folder with mkv video files, the screen goes nuts, with green lines and areas of the screen moving around, as soon as the preview window starts up. everything else is normal and I can still start watching the video. All other screens seem fine. Tried power cycling and it did the same thing. Still seems to work fine so I guess I’ll wait and hope the next firmware update fixes this.

After updating to this firmware, I’m having aspect ratio problems with Netflix. I have a widescreen TV (via component) and the WD box is set to widescreen, but Netflix is streaming letterboxed material. Resetting the defaults fixed the problem for one session but it reappeared the next time we powered on the unit. Anyone else seeing this?

What happened to the “beta” firmware releases ? The last few firmwares skipped the beta stage.

Well.

I put off installing the update till today based on what i was hearing from everyone.  And I can confirm about the bug with the remote/usb keyboard losing recognition when playing a file over the network.   **Edit**  I noticed it does it to certain files.  Not all.  But the same freeze happened to an mpeg file but none of the avi files.   Strange.  Ill try and throw more files at it to see what types might trip up the remote functionality over the network share. 

I am sure I will stumble on the other bugs as well.    I still appreciate everything this little box can do and have the fullest faith that the programmers will figure something out.

Keep it up guys!