New Release - Firmware Version 1.03.10 for WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (10/6/11)

i second that-i noticed the exact same issue.

a usb 3.0  would be nice in future generations of players.

Is this firmware going to fix my WDTV’s problem of not reading my external drive? The last time that I actually used WDTV’s firmware, I upgraded and next thing I know, my external drive (which is a WD also) no longer worked. Suspecting it was a software upgrade issue, I unplugged my external drive and plugged it into my other WDTV and it worked fine. Upgraded that WDTV and as expected, the external drive no longer worked.

Thankfully I I stumbled onto the alternative WDLXTV firmware which reads the drive with no problem. If manufacturers wonder why there’s such a thriving alternative scene in hacking their products this is a good example of why.

I’d be happy to used the officially sanctioned firmware, if it actually works. Has anyone else had this problem?

1 Like

That’s so funny…

For one thing, we’re talking about the WDTV Live Streaming Media Player.   WDLXTV doesn’t run on that box.

WDLXTV is also based on OLD WD firmware, so there’s no wonder why it’s “working.”   It’s not any of the “hacks” that b-rad did that magically made the disk work!  :smileyvery-happy:

Hi Bill_S, is it likely that the Media Library functionality will be restored in the next release? Very happy to get Spotify; will be happy to have the rich library back too. Regarding:  http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/search/1/a_id/8543/c/130/p/208,393

Thanks a lot!

Found the answer:  http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Issue/Media-Library-Compilation-not-working-on-NAS/idi-p/281254

mseeley wrote:

Hi Bill_S, is it likely that the Media Library functionality will be restored in the next release? Very happy to get Spotify; will be happy to have the rich library back too. Regarding:  http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/search/1/a_id/8543/c/130/p/208,393

Thanks a lot!

I’m a new WD TV Live Streaming customer as of tonight. I cannot play ANY of my movies except for ISO DVD files. I have about 500+ movies and TV shows ranging from .m4v, .mp4, .avi, mkv, which ALWAYS played on my Seagate Freeagent Theater + without a problem. Is there a way to rollback the firmware? Would that even help? This is not a good start, as I sold my Seagate FAT+  because this appeared to have the same file support, better GUI, and had more on-line apps. I’m really hoping I don’t have to return this unit. 

I don’t know exactly what happened, but it now seems to be playing all my videos. Retracing my steps: 1) Setup>HDMI(1080p-60hz). 2)Video Settings>DVD Menu> OFF 3.) System>Media Library>OFF 4.)Device Restart 5.) Now working…

Interesting.   If you have the patience to do it, go back through those steps and UNDO them one at a time to see if you can figure out what setting made it work.

Recently got a WD Live 2011 / SMP.  I’m stunned at just how terrible my experience has been thus far.

Buying this was a no-brainer since I am upgrading from my WD TV first gen, which I loved.

I can’t comment on whether it’s with this most recent firmware, since I updated the firmware as soon as I got it set up.

1.  Can’t read external hard drives.  My Hitachi Touro 3 TB causes this thing to freeze up almost immediately.  Even with Media Library turned off. 

2.  My Hitachi 1 TB external, that I have used with the WD TV first gen all along with no problems, worked for about a day.  Now the drive is not recognized period, yes I wait for the light on the front of the WD TV to stop blinking before I try to access the drive.

3.  Both drives now require repair by Windows 7 when plugged into my  computer after trying to mount in my WD TV.

4.  Netflix works sometimes, more often than not it freezes the unit.

5.  I tried just now resetting the device to factory settings, in case it is a buggy current firmware issue, of course, resetting the device does apparently NOT roll back the firmware.  BEYOND FRUSTRATED.

If there is an easy way to roll back the firmware on this thing so I can at least test it with true factory defaults, please let me know.

Otherwise I will just return this rather than exchange it, eat a restocking fee, and consider Boxee. 

-John

1-  It can.   It might not be able to read yours, but it can certainly read the tested ones…   The day I unpacked mine, I plugged in 5 drives simultaneously and they all worked normally.

2-  That can happen…  Generally if the device was removed before eject was complete, or if the SMP was powered down hard before ejecting the drive.

3- Symptoms of 1 & 2

4- Some people are reporting that, but not many…

5- I’ve never seen any box roll back firmware when defaults are restored…  Not even Boxee… It just takes too much valuable flash memory to maintain two versions of firmware on-board…  

There is no way to roll back from 1.03.10.   1.03.10 is the first officially supported firmware.

Make sure you do your homework on Boxee…  Intel dropped support for the CE4100… They’re abandoning the SMP market.   it’s becoming evident that they are not going to correct the SDK which has a particularly annoying audio bug that will apparently never be fixed.

Boxee is still fairly decent when it comes to internet media, it’s a shambles for local media.   If internet media is what you want, look at Roku.   If it’s local media you want, WD is at the top of user ratings (iboum) in the price range.

I care about local media mainly, and streaming Netflix would have been the icing on the cake.

This device claims to support 3 TB drives, but apparently not my 3 TB drive.

But to not even mount a 1 TB that my first gen devise had no problems with is inexcusable.

I was doing a bit of research, and it looks like the AIOS HD Media Center may be the ticket. 

I would *love* this unit, if it would actually mount my drives.

Oh yes, of course my devices are never properly ejected from this, since it can’t mount them in the first place.  I yank the USB plug, or when it freezes the unit, I have to pull the power cord anyway.  Again, never a problem with my first gen. 

1 Like

I returned that Pivos for this unit.  This WD SMP is far better.

Bill_S I have latest 1.06.15 firmware. Still a small fault. Some MKV files, when you PAUSE then PLAY the video becomes BLACK for a few seconds, and then it continues. It does not do that with other formats. Can you have a look into that?

wdniko wrote:

Bill_S I have latest 1.06.15 firmware. Still a small fault. Some MKV files, when you PAUSE then PLAY the video becomes BLACK for a few seconds, and then it continues. It does not do that with other formats. Can you have a look into that?

You can check in the Live Streaming Issues exchange to see if this bug has been reported, and if it has, add your vote and your post.  Otherwise, you can create a new issue there detailing what you’re experiencing.  Make sure to include all the relevant information they request.

Hi I am new to this device but have a WDTV live hub as well, this 1.03.10 firmware is rubbish. I cant open any of my mp4 movies and if they do start there is no sound and they crash after about 30 seconds, what gives. My MKV files only have sound when it suits.  Is there a fix out there, I have raised this with WD but like most places nowadays once they have your money the interest slacks off.  I have my movies on a synology NAS and the Hub finds and plays every type and audio style not the SMP though. Ami disgruntled …yes! Can it be fixed… no one seems to know. Do the members of this forum have any clue what to do? thanks for letting me rant.

Also AVI and h264 files wont play, is it only mine that wont play these?

Hey,

Download version 1.06.15, the version you have is wayyy too old…and all files should play fine

Your in the wrong forum as judging by your frimware version you have a WDTV Live.  This is for the WDTV Live Streaming Media Player which is most recent release.  The firmware on this device is only at 1.03.10.

roscored1000 wrote:

Hi I am new to this device but have a WDTV live hub as well, this 1.03.10 firmware is rubbish. I cant open any of my mp4 movies and if they do start there is no sound and they crash after about 30 seconds, what gives. My MKV files only have sound when it suits.  Is there a fix out there, I have raised this with WD but like most places nowadays once they have your money the interest slacks off.  I have my movies on a synology NAS and the Hub finds and plays every type and audio style not the SMP though. Ami disgruntled …yes! Can it be fixed… no one seems to know. Do the members of this forum have any clue what to do? thanks for letting me rant.

I think you have something else going on.   :dizzy_face:

MP4s / M4Vs do a have a couple of issues, but 100% of my MKVs play perfectly.   

Not sure what  ‘issues’ I may have but agree that all is not well. Even if I take out all of the extraneous info in the folders, eg folder.jpegs and xml files and just leave the bare mkv file it wont play properly. The H264 bit is confusing too. However all is good with the ‘hub’. I am hoping that the firmware will be fixed in the short term. Any ideas welcome. thanks