New network set up

i set up the my cloud on the la[top and can access all data.
but i cannot connect to internet and therefor no network.

i get a strange IP address that does not fit with my network scheme or 192.168.1.xxx

What is the strange IP address? How is the cloud connected to your laptop? Do you mean that your laptop can not connect to the internet?

RAC

i connect to the internet fine via the laptop but when i look at the my cloud dash board there is not internet connection.
the connection made to the my cloud is via a cat6 cable.
the strange IP is 169.254.67.24

Is your WD My Cloud connected directly to your computer via the Ethernet cable? If so that is your problem. The WD My Cloud should be connected to your broadband router/gateway via the Ethernet cable, not your computer.

i understand that!

but it will not connect to the network via the router as the IP address is not correct,

trying to re-set up for the new gig network

If the WD My Cloud is directly connected to the broadband router via Ethernet cable then first check the broadband router to ensure it’s internal DHCP server is active and there are enough IP addresses in the IP address pool for DHCP clients to use.

Next access the WD My Cloud Dashboard, navigate to the Settings → Network section and check the Network Mode section.

If the Network Mode is set to DHCP then the My Cloud should pull an IP address from the broadband router. And should be able to reach the internet unless the broadband router is blocking the My Cloud.

If the Network Mode is set to Static then click the Details link and review the static IP settings. Ensure the Static IP is in the same IP range as that used by your local network and that the IP address is not in use by other devices on the local network. Ensure the Netmask is correct for the IP range being used. Ensure the Gateway is configured for your broadband router’s network IP address. Typically the DNS Server 1 address is the same as the Gateway, with DNS Server 2 and DNS Server 3 being up to you as to what public IP addresses to use. Select the Save button when finished and the WD My Cloud should begin using the Static IP address settings and should be able to reach the internet provided one’s broadband router isn’t blocking access.

Some broadband routers can be configured to block internet access to a specific (or range) of local network IP addresses. Consult your broadband router’s administration page to ensure the broadband router hasn’t been configured to block the IP address the WD My Cloud is using (or has been assigned).

thanks will try and let you know how it works.

wont get to until tomorrow but i will let you know.

thanks!

hello,

i m back in town and trying once again.

i have the My cloud connected to Ethernet port #1 and this laptop on Ethernet port #4

i cannot access the dashboard at all from here.

i cannot see the my cloud on the network.

the network lights on the router do not flash for the my cloud but do flash for the laptop.

i know i am missing something very basic and stupid!!!

i set up the my cloud on the la[top and can access all data.

i cannot access the dashboard at all from here. i cannot see the my cloud on the network.

What did you do to go from being able to see the MyCloud to not being able to see the MyCloud?

the network lights on the router do not flash for the my cloud but do flash for the laptop.

What are the network lights on the MyCloud doing? If router and MyCloud network lights are off, then you have a bad connection from MyCloud to router.

Have you tried putting the MyCloud in a different port of the router?
Have you tried a different cable?

What is the front panel LED of the MyCloud showing?

You say you ‘get a strange IP address’. What is this the IP address of? Where do you see this IP address? Is this with both PC and MyCloud connected via the router?

What IP assignment method are you using? If static, I’d suggest you go back to DHCP and let your router assign an IP address for it.

You can go to the My Cloud download page and download the WD Discovery software, and see if that helps you.

http://support.wdc.com/product.aspx?ID=904&lang=en