WD My Cloud cannot get IP address from new router after move. Unable to access via network

I recently moved to a new home.

I tried to plug my WD My Cloud to my new wireless router and I cannot see the drive on my network. The status light on the front is flashing yellow. The router does not show any record of my drive’s MAC address ever connecting.

When I connect the drive directly to my PC via CAT5 the status light is blue. I can open “http://WDMyCloud” in my brower and get to the “WD My Cloud” page. The IP address listed is “169.254.10.217” (as expected, considering it hasn’t gotten an IP address) and is showing as “No Internet Access”. The network mode is set to “DHCP”.

Other devices attached to my router, whether via wifi or wired CAT5, are able to get an IP address with no issues.

I have also tried various combinations and orders of resetting devices, as well as swapping network cables and router ports with devices that are having no problem, with no luck.

Any ideas?

What’s your new ISP and router? AT&T/Uverse?

Try to power on cloud without connecting ethernet cable. Can’t remember but think cloud will start blinking white light to indicate no ethernet connection. After a while connect the ethernet cable and monitor the lights on ethernet port (back of cloud).

BTW are both lights on for ethernet port when cable is connected? I’d very similar problem when reinstalling HD and noticed that only the top light was flashing for port. There’re 2 lights on port, 1 to indicate activity and other to connection state. On mine, there was no light on connection which is/should be solid green. Activity light is the flashing one.

Don’t know much but at least something to try :innocent:

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, service is with AT&T Uverse. The router is a 5268AC.

Bibek_Sahi, thank you for your reply too. I gave it a try, and here are my results:

1. Unplugged power and ethernet from drive.
  2. Plugged power back in
  3. Light on front became a steady yellow (or white? to my eyes looked yellow)
  4. After about 10-15sec I plugged ethernet back in
  5. After a minute or so, the steady light started flashing.
  6. After waiting a few more minutes the flashing yellow light continued. At no time during this entire process did I see any activity on the lights in the back of my drive by the ethernet port.

After my move, the only times I have seen lights on the back active are:
a) immediately after restoring power to the drive while ethernet cable is attached to router (the top green one)
b) when connecting my drive’s ethernet port to my PC’s ethernet port

cpt_paranoia,

I noticed the link you added after I replied. Putting in a switch between the AT&T router and the WD drive worked. I can now see the WD drive from my PC and mobile device.

Now that I can see it with the “WD My Cloud” application, next step is to try to figure out how to get the drive visible in WD Smartware…

1 Like

Great news pal. At least you got it working :grinning: