New Firmware available lastnight

I had new firmware available last night for my ex2 2.something, I will get the exact version later.   any way says it supports the os3 coming out soon.   also changes from the Black EX2 website to White, I will attach photos later.  firmware was dated 9/10/15 

I received that update on the day it was released… seemingly WD is finally about to launch it!

I have the Enable Auto Update = OFF, LED = OFF and also Auto-Rebuild = OFF.

After receiving a notification that there is a new version, I let the upgrade proceed. No problems and a few minutes later it’s now running firmware 2.10.302 - the web GUI is now with a “light” coloured background. The Home screen looks a little more modern and Users, Shares and Cloud Access now have help from within the page.

I did consider switching LED = ON for the duration of the update so that there was something to “look at” but left it ASIS. During the update the LEDs are back in action, but afterwards the saved settings are restored.

My Apps continue to run and settings are all as before. On Settings the “Restore to Default” has (possibly) more options than before. One positive change I did see, was the Notifications icon nolonger includes a choice of what to display e.g. only Info, Warning or Critical. So you see everything.

I noticed my LEDs were different this morning.  I checked the dashboard and found that a new firmware had been installed.  I have Drive Sleep and LEDs on.  Previous firmware the drive LEDs would shut off after no drive activity for 5 minutes or so, then when the unit went to power saving the power LED would pulse.  Current firmware the drive LEDs stay on all the time, but the power LED will pulse like before.  Is this normal?

@ mhint77

We have passed this along to support.

Gentlemen,

Just in case you may not be aware, there have been a couple of versions of the OS3 update.  We are currently on version 308 (final 3 digits of the software number).  If you haven’t been updated to that version, yet, I recommend that you do the update.  

Also, we are currently working on a knowledgebase article detailing any changes we’ve made to the way the led works. It should be available soon.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the info about the firmware version 308. I would be happy to try it, but were could I find it?  The only firmware available for download on the WD web site (or for direct update from the dashboard) is 2.10.302 (9/28/2015).

Sorry Bill,

but I didn’t understand if the new 308 version will restore the LED behaviour to the 1.05 version (when stby HDs LED off ) or not.

Reading at Knowledge Base (Answer ID 13173) it seems that the new “always ON” behaviour will be the default from now on …

“” … This behavior is by design. The LED will remain solid blue when a drive is present and there is no activity…".

Could you please confirm ?

Thanks

It is strange, there is an another date in release notes - 9/10/2015.
May be it is a corrected version on the site page?

Hello Thread,

The latest OS 3 release for the My Cloud EX2 product is 2.10.302 and can be obtained  here

for manual firmware updates.

In this release, Solid Blue HDD LED = drives are installed but there is no drive activity.

In this release, when the drives are sleep, the Drive LED remain solid blue unless the  the LED ON/OFF feature is used.

The reference to #308 is the OS 3 release for our My Cloud single bay product.

Regards,

Samuel Brown

SBrown wrote:

In this release, when the drives are sleep, the Drive LED remain solid blue unless the  the LED ON/OFF feature is used.

Can you explain what this is made for?

In previous firmware, I was always able to see whether HDDs are working now or sleeping. So I’ve always been able to see that someone or something is trying to get access to my data, and it may be a virus program or hackers!
But now disk LEDs are always solid blue, and I can control whether HDDs are working or not only by the sound.

Also, could you say something about the solid red power LED when the free space is less then 95%?

And as for me, i don’t want to see My Cloud looks like a new year fir tree.

Hi Samuel,

thanks about #308 firmware clarification.

By the way I don’t understand why WD changed the EX2 LED behaviour, probably one of the very few features that was not complained by people on forum.

Why I shouldn’t know if HDs are “inserted” in the EX box (having a solid blue LED that inform me about also in STBY) ?

I inserted them during installation ! I can understand red LED in case of issues (faulty HD), but a solid BLUE during stby just to know that no one stolen HDs ?!? :wink:

Please, restore the LED behaviour to the previous version in the (next ?) #309 … Solid blue in stanby are very annoying, specially if you have the EX just on your desk, near the monitor. The LED ON/OFF feature is not a solution.

Regards

I can only agree with the others. The new solid blue behaviour is counter intuitive - and uses unnessary energy.

Switch it back to logic.

If you read all of the posts about the new way LEDs work, no one likes it. I downgraded to old firmware just because of the LED lights.

Since updating the firmware, the UI seems to be slow, constantly loading pages with items missing etc, see below, trying to add a new FTP job and there’s no option to add account user/pass.

Most pages do this.

Is there a way to speed up the My Cloud EX2? Add more RAM or something?

I’ve found the same. Serving up the UI pages can be painful and, as you said, sometimes it just plain misses bits out.

Could be worse though - try Seagates! Theirs is just rubbish.

I couldn’t stand the new LED scheme any longer.  I hoped there would be another firmware update changing the LEDs back to the way they were before the update.  I downloaded 1.05.36 from the forum post and “upgraded” my EX2.