New configuration

Hi.

I need some help here.

I mapped the hard drive as a network drive.

Then I installed the software from the disk that seems to have created a cloud.
When doing a test I sent files to the first solution (the network drive), the files do not appear on the second solution (network drive created by the software) and vice versa.

On the other hand, the ones from the cloud (network drive created by the software) I can see them on the smartphone through the WD app.

This doubts if I did the installation well, now other questions:

1- Are the files in the cloud safe? Are they on WD servers or on my drive?

2- I’m copying 1GB from a WD external disk without cloud to this new one, the main idea is to backup. I have almost no need for access outside of where I have the WD drive.

3- When I mapped the network drive, at the beginning, two folders appear, one “public” and the other “timemachine…” What are they for? I mapped to “public”.

Thank you for your help.

@Casusa

User Manual: My Cloud Home and My Cloud Home Duo (westerndigital.com)

You can search the Knowledge Base for information too.

1 Like

Is the first choice correct? Mapping de network drive? Justo for backup and not cloud? Or both?
I’ve read the manual and didn’t find nothing about that.

WD wrote the manual for the MCH and has not amended it for 4 years, meanwhile a lot of features have been added and some taken away. You should rely on the knowledge base to fill in the gaps. By default, no versions of Windows allow inbound SMB after setup with the firewall rules preventing access to TCP/port 445. The idea is to prevent data leaving the network - this part is contrary to what a network attached server such as the MCH is trying to do and that is why you have the two exposed file systems in the MCH.

1 Like

Hi.
First of all thanks for the excellent help.
What is MCH?
From what I understand can I use the mapped drive in windows just to back up work and photos?
Other questions, what is in the cloud is stored on WD’s servers? Are you safe?

@NoPlex @Casusa

Search Support | Western Digital

1 Like

Hi.

First of all thanks again for the excellent help.

What is MCH?

From what I understand can I use the mapped drive in windows just to back up work and photos?

Other questions, what is in the cloud is stored on WD’s servers? Are you safe?

Regards

@Casusa
WD My Cloud Home: Best Cloud Storage for Photos (2 TB - 8 TB) | Western Digital

HTTPS (HyperText Transport Protocol Secure) Definition (techterms.com)

TLS (Transport Layer Security) Definition (techterms.com)

1 Like

Files on WD my home cloud are stored on WD’s servers?
Thanks again.

Are you asking or telling?

From the information I gave you.
" One central place to store everything
Backup photos, videos and files from your external drives, USBs, mobile devices, computers and cloud accounts while saving it in one place."

If all your information is on WD then why have hard drives inside the device?

Cloud Definition (techterms.com)

Cloud Computing Definition (techterms.com)

Asking.
If I can save the files in the network folder (WD Hard drive) or in the cloud, I ask if the files in the cloud are on WD servers or physically here on the disk.

Hello.
Is it normal for the disk to be almost always working even when no device is connected?
Thanks.

Hello.
Anyone?

Please review the following article:

My Cloud Home Drive Noise, Disk or LED Activity and Acoustic Levels

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12405

If further assistance is needed, please open a case with our support team at:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/askweb

1 Like