New at WD need help

Hi Guys? I have movies from itunes to be converted. Had a go but my WD says no storage on my hard disk. I am lost. Anyone for help please

Thank you

More information is needed as your post is not clear what you are attempting to do or what the specific problem is.

What WD My Cloud drive (and firmware version) are you using?
What program or software is telling you that there is "no storage on my hard disk?
Is that hard disk on your local computer or the My Cloud?
Have you accessed the My Cloud Dashboard to see how much free space is currently available on the My Cloud?
How or why are you “converting” movies from iTunes? Converting to what?

Hi, Thank you for your reply. I am new to this and thought as per seen on you tube that I could just plug my hard disk and watch my movies. Obviously not the case
Is there someone that could show me what to do from scratch?

Many thanks

Christophe

What Youtube video on the My Cloud indicates you can “just plug my hard disk and watch my movies”?

The My Cloud is a network attached storage device (NAS). Think hard drive that all local network devices can access to copy data to/from and stream media from. The My Cloud must be connected to either your local network via the Ethernet cable/port or direct to your computer using the Ethernet cable/port.

If you haven’t already done so you should read through the My Cloud User Manual (http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/?id=439&type=25) which explains the features/options of the My Cloud and how to use/access/configure those features and options.

Generally the way the My Cloud works, after one has connected the My Cloud to their local network and one has accessed the My Cloud Dashboard to configure the My Cloud, is to copy media (videos, pictures, audio) to the My Cloud using Windows File Explorer or Macintosh Finder. From there one can stream that media to other network devices that support DLNA, or one can stream just the music to iTunes enabled devices. Or one can use Windows File Explorer or Macintosh Finder to access the My Cloud and launch media files with their media player. It is recommended to “map” Shares to the local computer to make it easier to access the data stored on the My Cloud.

If you plan on copying your iTunes media library to the My Cloud make sure to copy all of the iTunes media library folders and to properly configure iTunes program so it points to the new media file library location. Do an internet search for direction on how to move an iTunes media library to an NAS drive like the My Cloud.

Lastly see the following link for more information on how to use the Twonky DLNA media server if using DLNA devices to stream media from the My Cloud on your local network.

https://community.wd.com/t/faq-twonky-dlna-media-server-setup-use/95373

Thank you Bennor

so, all in all. I cannot transfer files onto a hard disk, plug the hard disk onto my WD and watch the movies? Is that right?

Thank you for your help

I have 6 gites for sales and was looking for a system where i could plug a hard disk onto my TV’s and our guest to pick the one they want to watch

Is WD the right system to have knowing that each gite have they own wifi system

What is the “my WD”? Is that a My Cloud? A WDTV device? Some other device from WD?

Yes you can attach a external USB hard drive to a WD My Cloud USB to expand the WD My Cloud storage and to backup the My Cloud to the external USB hard drive. When configured through the My Cloud Dashboard one can stream media from that attached external USB hard drive. Once connected to the My Cloud that external USB hard drive is seen as another Share/Folder within the My Cloud. One can then copy files/media to that Share/Folder over the local network.

Not sure what a “gite” is but assume you are talking about people or users. The My Cloud attaches to your local network router or network switch, NOT to your TV. Your TV, if capable, can stream media from the My Cloud that has been connected to the local network router or network switch.

Any computer or mobile device connected to the local network (either by WiFi or Ethernet) will be able to access the My Cloud and stream media from the My Cloud. Users can also connect to the My Cloud from remote off site locations when the My Cloud is configured for remote access. Generally one uses the My Cloud Dashboard, My Cloud mobile apps for iOS and Android, and MyCloud.com web portal to access the My Cloud remotely.

The My Cloud User Manual generally explains all of these features/options and how to use them.

so, all in all. I cannot transfer files onto a hard disk, plug the hard disk onto my WD and watch the movies? Is that right?

What hard disk? What WD product? The WD MyCloud is not a media rendering device; it is a Network Attached Storage device (NAS).

Is WD the right system to have knowing that each gite have they own wifi system

The WD MyCloud (the subject of this particular forum)? Or maybe you mean the WDTV?

It is not clear from your posts what WD product you are talking about, and what you are trying to convert, and why, and using what software?

I have 6 gites for sales and was looking for a system where i could plug a hard disk onto my TV’s and our guest to pick the one they want to watch

If this is all you want to do, then you need to understand the capabilities of the TV. Most modern digital TVs have a USB port, and have a USB media browser that lets the user select media (of certain supported formats) to play on the TV; videos, music, photos. To do that, all you need is a hard disk in a disk format supported by the TV, loaded with media in media formats supported by the TV. You don’t need a MyCloud.

However, if you wanted your gite clients to be able to access media from the storage device on all their tablets (using a DLNA client app), etc, as well as the TV, then a MyCloud, being a network file server and DLNA media server, would be suitable. The MyCloud must be connected by Ethernet cable to the gite’s router. The TV must have a DLNA media client, and must be connected to the gite’s router, either by WiFi, or via Ethernet cable. Again, you need to understand the capabilities of your TV, and the media formats it supports