New to WD but confused

Hi all
Just purchased a 3 tb my cloud as the shop told me it would do what I wanted,but I should have known better.
Let me explain
I have an old 2tb media player (well old in tec terms )but I have to remove it and connect it to Mac in another room if I want to add films to it,so I wanted something to replace it,but I find I can’t connect it to TV as the tv will not recognise it .
So I thought ok I will use it as a link to media player,so I connected it to player via usb and I can copy from media player to my cloud but not FROM my cloud.
Another thing is it supposed to stay on all the time?
Also when I try to copy photos to it through the app on iPad the app crashes and closes.
Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks in advance Dell

The My Cloud is a network attached storage device. It is NOT an external USB hard drive. If you haven’t done so already you should read through the My Cloud User Manual (https://support.wdc.com/product.aspx?ID=904) to learn how to setup the My Cloud and use its various features.

The My Cloud includes a DLNA media server and an iTunes audio server to allow streaming of media to DLNA client devices and to iTunes and iOS devices over the local network.

The USB port on the back of the My Cloud device is intended for the attachment of external USB hard drives to either increase the My Cloud storage space or to provide a location to backup the My Cloud contents. Again the user manual will explain these various options and features and how to use them.