Network Share problem.. please help me

I’ve read post, about Network Share problem. They don’t fit my issue, so therefor a new topic.

I have installed the WD TV Live… I have watched movies from my computer on my tv through the WDTVL. So everything worked just fine.

I always use the Network Shares option (not the Media Servers)

Suddenly I could press what I want, on the Network Shares opion, it just wouldn’t show my PC… I was bumped… didn’t try looking for a few weeks then 2 days ago I tried again I went through my options, checked everything out… Tried to watch a movie and it asked for my loginname and password, I filled in my windows vista PC account details and… IT WORKED… I was so happy!!! So now today I wanted to watch a movie… 

BAM!! problem back. I really don’t know how I could fix this problem ( I went through the step by step direction trouble shooting, well with me it didn’t show anything, just got the message that the command failed that there weren’t any)

So my WDTV Live… worked, stopped working, worked again and now stopped working and I get crazy about it, because I just can’t think of any reason why it workes one day and then suddenly not and then decides to work again and then to stop again.

I use Vista Home Proffesional     64bit system.

I use a multiple user PC

The folders I need are set to shared (never changed it, but checked it)

Maybe this gives a clue about working… My MSN / Windows Live Messenger, stops working now and then also… I need to delete my contacts folders every day or every two day’s and restart my pc, to be able to use it. At the moment It works so both problems don’t seem to appear summultaniously

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this. You can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

thx for the tip!!

did you get anywhere with your problem, I have the smae thing heppening?

Hi there,

I contacted support, had to do some things that didn’t work, so I won’t bore you with those.

I have reinstalled my pc, completely! At that point it worked, no problems, but soon a few days after. Again the WDLMP didn’t connect to my pc at all.

After some mail correspondence, I had to connect the other pc on my network with the WDLMP also. (We have multiple computers) After connecting the other pc with the WDLMP (and make a test folder and only sharing this testfolder with just one .mp3 file. The problem was solved at that moment. This has been a few days now and I must say that at this moment the WDLMP is still connecting, but the other PC must be ON.

I recently wanted to use the WDLMP and found out it couldn’t connect, the one thing I did was starting the other PC waiting until it was completly started. As soon as the WDLMP found that pc, it also finds my PC. The other PC is an XP system (don’t know if that matters)

I don’t think this should be the sollution, but it seems to be A sollution so at least I can watch my movies from my PC on the TV through Network Share.

Maybe ( is just a thought I still have to check out ) It depends on your modem/router where the WDLMP is connected to also, and it has to do with the sequenst in witch LAN connection the device are set to. So I still have to try, if I would plug my WDLMP in the LAN1 (in stead of 4) and my PC in LAN2, and then the other stuff. If that would help.

So I don’t know if this is any help to you? I have to say contacting the support does work so far, that you get a quick reply (mostly within 1 working day) and they just keep on trying for you. If you get a form about the request how good there support is and you mention the problem isn’t solved, you could get a respons by phone from them to assist (they wanted me to, but I didn’t fill in my tel. nr. because I live in Holland and wrinting English or talking it over the phone is a complete diffrence to me.

Please let me know it my reply helps to solve you’re problem. And if so what you did to solve it.

Be sure all the devices have the same workgroup name (WORKGROUP is standard by the WDLMP)

That sounds like a problem with the machine being elected Master Browser.

Like when you start the XP system and it starts working, i’m guessing perhaps the XP system is winning the Master Browser election, and is functioning normally, but WITHOUT the XP system, the master browser is broken.

Here’s more info:

This is how to find possible problems with the Master Browser on your network, which will affect when and what servers appear on your WDTV Network Shares.

On one of your PCs, open up a “Command” window.

(In Win Vista and Win7, click the Orb, and in the search box, type CMD. An icon will appear above the box that says cmd.exe. Click it, and a Command window will open.)

(In WinXP, Click START, then RUN…, and in the box, type CMD. A Command Window will open.)

In the command window, enter the command “net view,” like this:

C:\Users\Tony>net view
Server Name Remark

\BIGNAS1 Big Freakin’ NAS Server 1
\MARS
\NEPTUNE
\WDTVLIVE WDTV LIVE
The command completed successfully.

In my example, there are four active devices that Windows has discovered.

Now, for EACH of those, issue the command “nbtstat -a (name)” for example:

C:\Users\Tony>nbtstat -a bignas1

Local Area Connection:
Node IpAddress: [10.0.0.157] Scope Id:

NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

Name Type Status

BIGNAS1 <00> UNIQUE Registered
BIGNAS1 <03> UNIQUE Registered
BIGNAS1 <20> UNIQUE Registered
…__MSBROWSE__.<01> GROUP Registered
WORKGROUP <1D> UNIQUE Registered
WORKGROUP <1E> GROUP Registered
WORKGROUP <00> GROUP Registered

So, we got lucky here, the FIRST system, BIGNAS1, indicates that it is the master browser, since it lists the name …__MSBROWSE__.

You need to find out WHICH system is your master browser.

Wonderfull, did that and you are right… the XP system is the master browser so this indeed could be the root of the problem.

Now next question of course… how do you make the other PC the master browser?? If that is possible at all.

I don’t have an answer for that, sorry…

Found this, I will check if this will work and keep you noticed :slight_smile:

Go to registry editor (typ regedit)

Move to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters 
Double click on MaintainServerList 
Set to
No - for the computer to be a non-browser
Yes - the computer will be a master or backup browser
Auto - will be a master, backup or potential depending on the number of browser currently in action 
Click OK 
Close the registry editor and reboot 

So which setting should it be set to?

I am having the same problem. My XP isn’t seen by the device unless W7 is running. I would like to browse both regardless of which combinations of machines are running.

I set my Vista to YES (it was on auto) but this didn’t work, I need to check my XP system still, I will reply this topic if I have more information.