MYCLOUD ----Timeout

Hello everyone.
Four years ago I purchased a WD Mycloud Hub. When I first installed it, it worked fine for about two years. The last two years or so have driven me crazy to get to work as it did before.

The Problem;

The hub is not being found by Windows 10 on my desktop.
I could usually see and access the hub via ‘File Explorer’ in Windows 10.
THe hub is connected to my ‘VirginMedia Hub 3’ router. WDMYCLOUD can be seen in the router.
I have tried everything to date. I have downloaded every patch/upgrade for Windows 10 and the ‘WD Hub’.
I have watched dozens of videos all claiming that by carrying out the mods, my computer will see the ‘WD Hub’.

If I connect the ‘WD Hub’ directly to my computer via the ethernet port I can see and access it, return the hub to the router and it is not seen.

Last week I turned the computer and the ‘WD Hub’ of for about two hours. After rebooting computer and hub, the hub is visible in file explorer and I have been able to access it. RESULT!! I thought. NO!, after about thirty minutes the hub disappeared from file explorer and Windows 10 was not able to find it. The hub was still visible in my router.

I have now found this pattern. If I turn the computer and the ‘WD Hub’ of for an hour and then reboot them both, ‘WD Hub’ is found by Windows 10 and works o.k for about thirty minutes when ‘WD Hub’ disappears again.

Is there a software glich in my hub?
Is there a software glich in Windows 10?
Does the problem lie with my router?
Throughout the process whether the ‘WD Hub’ is found or not, the comms lights are illuminated and flashing on the router and the hub.
Any suggestions gratefully received.
Thanks.

The My Cloud is not a “hub” it is a network attached storage device.

What specific My Cloud device do you have? Do you have a My Cloud Home? The My Cloud Home is a different device than the My Cloud line of devices.

If you are using a My Cloud device, can you access the My Cloud Dashboard with your web browser? If so what firmware version is the device running?

How to access the Dashboard on a My Cloud (single bay) device
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15104

Depending on one’s My Cloud and it’s firmware version one may have to change the SMB settings in the My Cloud Dashboard > settings to include SMB 1.0 in addition to SMB 2.0 and SMB 3.0. In other cases where there is no option in the My Cloud Dashboard to change the SMB value, one may need to enable SMB1.0/CIFS on Windows 10 due to Microsoft disabling this setting in recent patch updates and on new Windows 10 installations.

How to Enable SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support on Windows 10
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4155

As another troubleshooting step one can perform a 40 second reset to reset a My Cloud device back to default values which may fix certain issues including incorrectly set or configured My Cloud Dashboard static IP address.

How to Reset a My Cloud (single bay) Device
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24022

Hi Bennor, thanks for your reply.

What specific My Cloud device do you have? Do you have a My Cloud Home? The My Cloud Home is a different device than the My Cloud line of devices.
I have a MY Cloud 4TB

If you are using a My Cloud device, can you access the My Cloud Dashboard with your web browser? If so what firmware version is the device running?
Cannot access via the My Cloud Dashboard. Device not found.

Depending on one’s My Cloud and it’s firmware version one may have to change the SMB settings in the My Cloud Dashboard > settings to include SMB 1.0 in addition to SMB 2.0 and SMB 3.0. In other cases where there is no option in the My Cloud Dashboard to change the SMB value, one may need to enable SMB1.0/CIFS on Windows 10 due to Microsoft disabling this setting in recent patch updates and on new Windows 10 installations.

How to Enable SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support on Windows 10

The SMB’s were/are enabled.

As another troubleshooting step one can perform a 40 second reset to reset a My Cloud device back to default values which may fix certain issues including incorrectly set or configured My Cloud Dashboard static IP address.

How to Reset a My Cloud (single bay) Device

[/quote]
I have reset the My Cloud Device (many times in the last year) as per your instructions. Still can’t be found.

I have changed leads (RJ45) and the media router/modem.
Thanks for your input.
Much appreciated.

BJ

If it is a single drive/single bay My Cloud unit, look at the bottom of the unit for the P/N number. If that number ends with “-10” then it is a second generation single bay My Cloud and may have gotten updated to the OS5, v5.x firmware.

If possible one can check their network router to see what DHCP IP Address the router is handing out to the My Cloud. Or use a network scanner program to scan for the My Cloud IP Address. With that IP Address one can attempt to access the My Cloud Dashboard with it.

If one’s single bay My Cloud has been updated to OS5, then one should be aware there are many complaints about the My Cloud becoming inaccessible post update due to the OS5 Indexing “feature” in the OS5 subforums. WD’s recommendation is, assuming one can even access the My Cloud Dashboard, to disable Remote Access/Cloud Access and disable Twonky Media Server app if installed. The WD OS5 Online User Guide has additional information and suggestions if one is using OS5 firmware.

OS5 Subforums
https://community.wd.com/c/os5/252

My Cloud OS 5: Online User Guide and Solutions
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29633

Hi Bennor

I think I/you/we have resolved the problem, whatever the problems was, I don’t know.

Quickly. As you know I could access ‘My Cloud’ by rebooting, this would then show up in file explorer for about twenty minutes and the not be accessible.
I discovered that Windows back-up would start up after ten minutes or so and then start doing a backup to the share on ‘My Cloud’ and stop. ‘MyCloud’ disappears from file explorer.
I took the bull by the horns so to speak, this is what I did:

1. Removed every app from my p.c that had been linked to ‘WD MYCLOUD’.
  2. Did a factory reset on ‘MYCLOUD’
  3. Used ‘C Cleaner’ to scan the registry for old files and links etc and remove them
  4. Made sure that Windows Backup is turned off. (is this a problem for
    MYCLOUD?)
  5. Let all systems sit dormant for six hours before rebooting.
  6. Start up my p.c and there is ‘MYCLOUD’ in file explorer. I have stopped and started my p.c several times now and ‘MYCLOUD’ is found every time. I can drag and drop files to it and access the share/folders via file explorer.
    OS5 Mycloud connects and works ok
    Dashboard can’t find 'MYCLOUD, I can live without that unless there is an easy fix.

I don’t intend using the Windows Backup software. I will use one recommended by WD. What do you suggest?

Hope you can understand my ramblings and perhaps give a reason why Windows Backup may have had an influence on the loss of connection to ‘MYCLOUD’.

Thanks

BJ

WD Smartware is end of support and has apparently been replaced by a free version of Acronis True Image for Western Digital that can be downloaded from the My Cloud Support page for one’s My Cloud device.

Alternatively there are a number of free and paid third party backup programs available that one can also choose from if one doesn’t want to use what WD recomends or doesn’t want to use the Windows embedded backup feature. Those alternative backup programs can be found by doing an internet search for backup software. Some examples:

Macrium Reflect Free
EaseUS ToDo Backup
Acronis True Image (paid version)
Paragon Backup & Recovery
CloneZilla