After new win10, can see mycloud in file exp, but msbackup doesn't see it., thoughts please

Good morning all, walt from baton rouge here. struggling with reinstall and backup config of mycloud 2Tb on new pc with win 10 , can see it in win explorer can access it, but it doesn’t show when attempting to setup backup via windows backup. would rather not use 3rd party software, acronis etc.
understand the device is not newest NAS, but it worked fine on old win10 pc using WD backup,
Wd backup does not configure and run on new pc…
thoughts please?

thanks walt

@walt What app do you want to use?

WD Backup, Click on, tap or activate image to enlarge it. Link below image is for downloads.

First thing to do is ensure SMB1.0/CIFS is enabled in Windows 10. Microsoft tends to disable this setting (for security reasons) in new Windows 10 installations or through Windows 10 updates.

How to Enable SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support on Windows 10

Next step is to ensure the Windows 10 Network Type is set to Private and not Public. Then check any security/antivirus software to ensure it is not blocking access to the My Cloud.

If the backup program is not seeing the My Cloud one may have to “map” a Share in order for the program to see and access the My Cloud.

How to map a My Cloud or NAS device on Windows

Generally third party free and paid backup programs will have more features/options than the WD Smartware backup program or the embedded Windows 10 backup program. Many of the third party backup programs will include the ability to create a rescue CD or rescue USB flash drive so one can restore a backup without the need to reinstall the operating system first.

Hi cat thanks for your reply…i truly wished it were that simple…WD backup only discovers Dropbox, and after 2 hours of searching, trying adjusting modifying, etc, backup still only discovers Dropbox. thanks though.

Hi bennor…thanks for taking the time to reply to my note…I’ll try every single step of your recommendation, and will report back with errors, or successes.
I’ve been beating on this problem for about 3 hours so far…i will be back in touch thanks again…

Enabled SMB now i see the Mycloud under my network…and enabled Private, so far so good…but still not seeing it in windows backup…
will map drive later this afternoon…thanks again

@walt You did look at the list of applicable devices? Look at these two links.

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11564/kw/WD%20Backup%20User%20Manual

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6342

Hi cat…your links confirm what i learned via trial and error…I’m relaizing that MyCloud is NOT supported by Backup…maybe used to be when i first configured the MyCloud device in 2016 on my old PC

I can appreciate that WD is an equipment provider…doesn’t worry much about outdated support site videos…but its great to have guys or ladies that can support legacy stuff still. thanks walt

ok, then How to map a My Cloud or NAS device on Windows
i tried to both map with name \MYCLOUD and the static IP address 192.168.1.39 and

i get this error on both…thoughts please…

I’m nuts…5 hours to fix this thing…i charge $75 an hour to repair vintage motorcycle electrics…so im into this antique for $375… 1 thing is clear…the market is telling me “its old get something new” i get it…so
forget the My cloud…
Next question WD passport vs Mycloud home…which do you recommend …take 5 minutes life is too short thanks walt

Can you access the My Cloud Dashboard with a web browser?

How to access the Dashboard on a My Cloud (single bay) device

Hi Bennor…I have to admit , I’ve given up on the mycloud…i harvested the 2TB red drive and stuck it in my desktop…so far smooth sailing.I’m seeing 2tb my cloud home refurbs for about $100 from WD store…thats the route I’ll probably go…thanks for your help and time walt…